“Noisy and dirty” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Noisy and dirty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

Did this hotel on a groupon offer. Probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. Room was shabby, tired and dirty. Staff seem disinterested and more focussed on the wedding fayre which was taking place the next day. Went for a relaxing evening but instead was kept awake by loud music until gone 2 am and then woken before 6pm to the sound of clearing up! Couldnt get through to reception on phone in room - constantly engaged evn though they were not busy. Breakfast was average but not enough room for everyone. A dreadful experience which we would never repeat!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
"thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and that you felt the staff were unavailable to help you. I am sorry that other residents kept you awake with their music, and that the reception telephone was engaged. I an sure you are aware that this was rugby weekend, and the hotel was fully booked and very busy. We offer breakfast over a two hour period, but sometimes everyone comes down at the same time, and then there is a bottleneck, for which I can only apologise.

I hope you will consider staying again, to see what we can offer"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

The rooms were more than adequate, and the location is good. The leisure facilities were excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. However the evening meal was appalling and expensive. I ordered a dim sum starter and ended up with a dish explaining why mums go to Iceland. A spring roll, a vegetable samosa and two other items straight from a packet and a small dollop of bought in chilli sauce. This was also very pricey as starters go. The main courses were all priced at £17-25 and were mainly pasta dishes with not a steak in sight! My wife and I opted for the lamb rump which was not inspiring but filled a gap. I complained to the duty manager who apologised and said he would mention it to the general manager but did not offer to remove the item from my bill. It is not a surprise that only two other people apart from ourselves ate at the restaurant. We spoke to another guest who advised us to eat at a £6-99 carvery down the road.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
"Whilst I am pleased to hear that the accommodation, location and leisure were to your liking, I am sorry to hear that the meal you ate was not.

We try to make as much of the food we serve here, but some of our dishes are brought in pre prepared, but we try to offer a range of dishes with a menu that changes regularly, and there are steaks available on the bar and lounge menus.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your meal, but I hope you will return to the hotel in the future to see what we can offer"
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at st mellons on jan 7th for a one night spa break bought from groupon.co.uk for £78.
My first impressions were good, looked like a nice place in a quite location.
The spa was clean with a nice pool and jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. It was nice and relaxing and I had a good back massage.
The room we stayed in was ok, good size room and nice and clean.
Booked in to the restaurant by reception on the Friday night, thought it was overpriced for what we got, the same for the lunch we had.
Overall for the £78 deal we got it was well worth it. But I thought it was quite expensive for everything in there. Staff were all lovely and helpful and we had a good stay.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grays Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

On arrival no leisure bar service
, " we have a wedding " was given reason for 15 minute wait and walk to hotel desk. Breakfast ( 2 days ) spoilt by a que wait for bacon -sausage -eggs etc which was not helped by an indifferent staff attitude who couldn't anticipate when shortages were going to take place . " we have trouble with the kitchen was the reply " dinner was excellent both for food and service when served in the library as dining room had a wedding parties. Overall a good hotel as long as you didn't want breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry to here of the delay in bar service, and also the service at breakfast; these are not the standards we are striving for here, and I am grateful for the feedback, as without it, we cannot hope to improve the standards here at the hotel.

thank you for your positive comments regarding the restaurant service and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon"
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

St Mellons is a lovely old house, but now needs major investment to bring it up to a decent hotel standard. The restuarant for dinner is pricey but pretty good. Staff are friendly but seem inexperienced and the overall impression is a bit unprofessional.

Check-in "oh you'll have to fill out the registration form in pencil - we've run out of pens".

After first night (in room 24) - I politely pointed out to reception that:
1 - the ceiling light fittings were full of dead insects ("sorry")
2 - most of the tv channels don't work ("oh yes, we know our TV system doesn't work properly")
3 - the springs are coming through the mattress - and I asked for this to be swapped for a newer one.
When I returned in the evening - nothing had changed - including the mattress. When I asked why, the receptionist told me they thought it would be easier if I moved to another room rather than they move a mattress and was given keys to room 20.

Room 20 was very cold - the radiator did not work - presumably a known issue as an electric heater was screwed to the wall in recognition. The mattress was only slightly less worn out than room 24. The electric towel warmer could not keep the bathroom warm and there was an airlock in the hot pipe.

There had clearly been a flood as the ceiling had been patched in a different colour.

This (very old) TV had a Freeview box but the signal was too weak to receive and the remote for the TV was missing. The carpets were worn out.

Wireless internet in the rooms is free but very slow and requires a complex set-up procedure involving phoning reception with a unique code and asking them to activate the service.

Breakfast on the first day had a hot buffet counter (eggs, sausages etc) but this was missing on the second day. There was no fruit at all on offer on the first day but this did appear on the second.

Overall, this should be a great hotel but it will take more than redecoration to bring the acccomodation beyond worn-out old B&B standards where it currently is. Basic maintenance and new mattresses are an urgent requirement.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before with friends & family but this was the first time I had been there as a lone traveler. They could not have been more helpful & even though the room possibly could do with updateing it was very comfortable. The leisure facilities here are very good with a wonderful swimming pool & spa facilities and of course the grounds are beautiful & tranquil. I would certainly stay again.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Reigate, Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

The lucifugous garden rooms, their 1960's design set out contrary to the elegant, aged house, have long since seen their halcyon days. The smell, more my grandmothers unused spare room, than a 4* hotel, haunts me today; constantly I check my clothes to see if I have caught this most foul scent. My children, out to visit me from the countrified beauty of Somerset, couldn't stand the smell, and demanded relocation to something more befitting the status idiotically afforded this hotel. The smell pervades like death hangs over an old decrepit house, of cellars forgotten, of factories long emptied of production.

The place has rotting carpets, damp stains, more insects that a box full of lizards could digest, more mould than the finest French cheese and a smell that digs into the deepest darkest corners of your lungs and just clings on with a sturdy lust for its own salvation.

The leisure centre is quite nice, although the pool murkier than the most saline of estuaries. Despite signs everywhere, the locals, who are members of the leisure complex, eschew the advice to shower after visits to the sauna and steam room, maybe it’s a cultural thing, maybe they are just uncouth, but it adds to the general air of grime. The language used, colloquial, or possibly colourful. It does have a gym worthy of its 4 stars.

The food, if you like chips with absolutely everything, and I mean everything (even my Chicken Arrabiatta), is passable.

The staff, however, are some of the finest I have come across staying, as I do, some 100 nights a year in hotels; to a person, helpful, friendly, considerate and good people.

In short, the place is jaded and could be oh so much more. It is in the most delightfully quiet of locations (although quite close to the area of St Mellons, an adventurous night out) and has an aura of peace and quiet. I, unfortunately have a further 5 days booked, which I will finish, but caveat emptor. A potentially cracking hotel ruined by a seeming unwillingness to bring it up to modern standards, or spend money. I could fester onwards with my complaints, but I guess you have got a good insight into what I think of the place.

Just a pity…

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank phallett
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
"Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the hotel. Whilst I am pleased to hear that the staff where as good as they were, I was disappointed to read of your unhappiness with the rest of the hotel.

I am unsure if you spoke to any of my colleagues during your stay, to bring to our attention the issues you encountered, but if you did, i would have hope we would have done our utmost to rectify them.

Some of our rooms are older than others, and we are in the process of redecorating on a rolling programme, but as the hotel was so very busy for the Ryder Cup during the time of your visit, all works were temporarily on hold.

I will pass on your comments to all of the necessary departmental managers, and would be happy to discuss any of the issues raised with yourself on a future visit tot he hotel

thank you once again for taking the time to leave a review."

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Ibis Cardiff Gate
Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
New House Country Hotel
New House Country Hotel
#3 of 76 in Cardiff

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!