“Could Do Better........been saying that for 5 Yrs!”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #46 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have stayed here on visits to Cardiff on and off for five years. Sometimes stay at Premier Inn, just down the road if a room in the house of St. Mellons Hotel isn't available. Once had a scare when put in 'Garden Room' which felt like the garden was coming into the room, what with the mold. If however you get to stay in the house itself things are OK.

The staff are great, no fault with anyone and I hate to slate the hotel because the staff do a good job under trying circumstances. It seems Best Western simply refuse to spend any money on this hotel. Maybe in part because its a shared ownership with Oxford Inns, which is a weird concept designed to avoid responsibilty I guess.

There are only 2 rooms we will stay in which have been revamped within the last 6 years. These are classified as honeymoon suites. It was one of these we first stayed in some 5yrs ago and revisited this week. The radiator still hasn't been fixed and we needed an electric heater which must cost a bomb to use.The the shower was much improved however from our last visit.

The food has been excelent at times, but wasn't up to the prices they are charging this week. I sent a duck breast back which was overcooked as it actually stated on the menu it was served pink! Still it was Monday a notoriously bad night to eat out we have found in the past. Breakfast is always pretty good, though when the place is busy the table service is changed to buffet style.

All-in-all I'd like to rate the hotel good, as if you get the right room at the right price its comfortable, the staff are lovely and there is free entry into the leisure facilities which are very well looked after. We will be returning

Having stayed at the St. Davids hotel, the only 5* hotel in Cardiff I'd rather stay here if I get one of the two good rooms. The staff are nicer, the atmosphere is more relaxed and there are no bloody rugger buggers in the place!

Room Tip: Ask for room 28, even without working heating its the best.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frostymij
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. I’m glad that on the whole we met your expectations, although I have personally addressed the matter of the heating in room 28 and can now confirm that it is now very snug indeed!
I look forward to checking you into room 28 in the future – I’m sure you’ll find it much more to your liking.

There are newer reviews for St. Mellons Hotel

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My review reflects that we stayed in late September and got a low cost package for 2 nights b and b at £30 each per night plus dinner for £15 first night. Pleasant hotel in nice grounds with a country feel. Dinner was very good value at this price. You needn't take your car into the city centre as there are regular buses leaving from a bus stop at the top of the hotel drive.
Staff were pleasant and helpful. Hotel perhaps a little tired but our room overlooking the front gardens was fine. Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Front hotel rooms overlooking the gardens are pleasant.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RKGHM

Thank you for your very kind review of your stay at St. Mellons Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very average, Spaghetti Bolognese was floating in water and the pasta was the texture of spaghetti from a tin it was so over cooked. The Artisan bread was 2 slices from a french loaf drizzled in oil and burnt on a grill. Guinness was flat. Barman was friendly but was working with sub standard 'stuff'. Breakfast cereal was stale and the cooked element took 15 minutes to deliver. Won't be staying again - given Best Western's current advertising programme this place has character - in Muppet terms a bit like Statler and Waldorf - tatty at the edges, dusty and slow

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I have addressed the points you outline with our chef and food & beverage manager, and whilst our investigations can find little evidence of many of the issues you raise, we have made our team aware of your comments so that they can be aware of your perception. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and aiding us in continually improving our product and service.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I originally wanted to book a garden room, because we intended to bring the dogs, and although we decided against the idea, we were shown one of the dog friendly rooms, and then regretted not having taken the afore mentioned pooches. the grounds and the secluded location of the place , i can only discribe as idyllic, as we were fortunate enough to see it, in all its charm on a warm autumn sunday afternoon on our arrival. The only downside for me is the single and somewhat potholed track in ,which bisects a golf course.
The room we had was on the ground floor and was roomy and airy with a high ceiling, a lovely feature thrughout all of this charming period building. The two rooms either side of the entrance were warm and welcoming, with a charming mock coal/gas fire being lit permanently throughout our stay which was just two days.

I'd love to see this place in the summer, as the grounds are beautifully kept, and it would be nice to sample its atmosphere of a warm summer night outside the handsome frontage this hotel has. We briefly checked out the leisure facilities, and they look pretty impressive too.
My only critisism , is the fact that its an old building and lacks some much needed mod cons such as air con. Overall both me and my wife would like to return to this charismatic and intimate hotel. and would recommend it to any one .It is also ideally placed just a few miles to the east of Cardiff itself .

Jo & Cam Gibson Leics

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scorchioEastmids
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Jo & Cam

Thank you so much for your review of the hotel following your recent stay, I was delighted to read that you had such a good time.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, hopefully with your dogs who would also be most welcome, in the summer.

Kind regards

Philip Thomas

Reviewed October 22, 2012

my mum and i stayed at this hotel about a month ago for a spa break but when we tried to book in we had been allocated a garden room.as my mum has walking difficulties we requested a room inside the hotel.the lady on reception advised us that all rooms in the hotel were double rooms but this was not a problem so it was arranged for us to have a room in the hotel.the room was clean and comfortable.we had already booked a return stay at the hotel for a party of twelve ladies to enjoy a spa break to celebrate mine and my sisters birthdays.although my mum and i had thoroughly enjoyed our stay the first time i had reservations as to what our rooms would be like as we would be staying in the garden rooms of the hotel and i had read some very negative comments about these rooms in previous reviews.well all i can say is the rooms were lovely.they were spacious,clean,warm and not a hint of damp anywhere.we had a fabulous break.the food was delicious,spa and treatments were lovely,special mention to chelsea and all staff at the hotel were lovely and really friendly.we are already trying to arrange for us all to return to for another spa break in january. thanks again to all the staff,we all had a lovely relaxing break.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your kind words following your stay at BEST WESTERN St. Mellons Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to read your comments and to learn that you both had an enjoyable stay.
I look forward very much to welcoming you back to the hotel in the New Year.

Kind regards

Philip Thomas

Reviewed October 21, 2012

we arrived here for a wedding reception down an extremly pot holey lane. we arrive here and was not greeted by a member of staff and was left wondering around to find the reception i was attending! finally found where we wre ment to be.. the room was musky in smell the staff got our drinks order wrong twice and the drinks were also very expensive here!! food was lovely which is proberly my only plus point here. altho the food was taken away far to early and just thrown away when people were still eating!!!! towards the end of the evening we waited nearlly 30 mins to buy a drink but the bar staff seem to have disappered and nowhere to be found.. another guest got fed up of waiting and served themselfs! this caused the manager to be called who closed the bar and the venue!! so ended our eve very quickly (dont agree with helping yorself but idfthere was staff there it wouldnt have happened.) i know off friends who were staying here at the hotel and rated the venue even worse poor customer service, room in poor condtion, bed uncomfortable and smelly. so overall i would not visit this place again nor would i recommened it!

Room Tip: find another hotel... holiday inn just down the road... perfect choice!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is a shambles. The only redeeming features of this place are its staff and the food.

The approach and driveway is a hazard to anyone driving and trying to miss the very deep potholes. There is nothing being done to remedy this. I live nearby and use the hotel frequently and have inside knowledge and can confirm this is the case despite the managers assurances. The bottom half of the driveway floods frequently and I know cars have been stranded in it when the warnings have not been placed appropriately to deter people from driving through. There is insufficient lighting throughout the grounds and pathways leading to the "garden rooms" and I am surprised no-one has had a serious accident and claimed compensation before now. This needs to be dealt with as a priority.
The garden rooms themselves need to either be demolished and rebuilt or some serious cash needs to be spent on them. A bit of new wallpaper and paint will not prevent the mould and damp and lack of sufficient heating that is causing this. The windows need to be replaced and the walls need insulating. Beds are tired and worn and stained. Garden rooms are still being used by smoking residents. There is no internet connection in these rooms. The garden rooms could be a real feature as they are nicely positioned in the grounds of this lovely manor house but they are fast becoming a last resort for guests to stay in and my source reveals that this is where most of the complaints originate from. Bathrooms are mouldy and dirty, bath panels, toilet seats and shower screens are broken and left unrepaired. Slatted windows cannot be closed and locked properly and let cold air in and hot air out. Nevermind the security risks.

The main hotel itself is not as bad, although it needs some TLC. All rooms could do with an overhaul but there are areas that need immediate attention, such as the sky-light in the main reception hallway, which looks like it is ready to fall in on someone's head. There are leaks in the roofs/ceilings in the ballroom and bar areas which have ice-cream tubs catching the drips.
Curtains hang off their tracking in the ballroom, nets are ripped and the lamp shades in the restaurant are burnt and ready for the skip.

This hotel could be beautiful and it is a real shame to let it go from bad to worse because the money is not being spent on it to attract and retain guests and business.
I have been to several weddings and parties at this hotel and would consider having my own impending wedding here, due to its potential of being a really lovely venue. However, I would not be prepared to have friends and family put through the ordeal of having to stay in such conditions and taking the risk of something going disastrously wrong during the wedding celebrations.

This hotel MUST be losing money like water through hands. But with some investment, could be a little goldmine. Something needs to be done to address the issues instead of pretending that everything is OK, when clearly it is not. It must be very frustrating for the staff that work there and clearly have a genuine affection for the place.

Room Tip: Go for rooms inside the main hotel. Avoid the garden rooms at all costs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MollyM1971
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel, although I must say that I can not agree with so many of your observations. Naturally, the hotel has an on-going programme of reinvestment in line with the policy of our company- as you yourself observed, the garden rooms have all been invested in during the last 12 months with new carpets, curtains, flat screen TV’s, pillows and new mattresses. In fact many of our clients, particularly family parties, prefer the comfort and space afforded by these rooms to the more traditional, high ceiling Georgian rooms of the main house.
I would concede that the potholes in the drive to which you refer were in need of attention. Even though we do not enjoy ownership of this driveway, the holes were filled on 2nd October and I’m afraid I can not agree with your comments.
You are evidently a frequent visitor to the hotel and I would be delighted if you would make yourself known to me in person so that we can discuss any matters which may be of concern to you face to face.