“Hmmm, what type of hotel did you want?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #45 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Hmmm, what type of hotel did you want?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I like Best Western... individual places bonded by the same group... should confirm a standard.
This is a hotel in a great setting, you wont go hungry and you will safe etc. The only thing I have to comment on are the niggles?
1. Corridor to my room had a pile of used towels in it, they were there for ages, then most of them went - but one left behind.. sloppy.
2. Morning, bar area full of used glasses,,, looks like last nights party leftovers...
3. Quiet hotel... you can feel the tumbleweed brushing past you... but as other reviewers have said, given a large function it would be intense, and I didn't feel the place could cope.
4. Leisure - pool area had a non-working Jacuzzi and steam room, and showers 9 the ones to use before yo go in the pool.
5. Leisure bar area - this is a club where local people are members, fair enough - but when they all crowd around the very small bar after playing squash etc it feels like you are being intrusive to ask for a drink... not comfortable... :-(
6. Restaurant.. had breakfast, which was fine, but listening to staff issues being discussed in the kitchen is really not what I wanted to hear as I started my day... I did mention it but I am not sure if it registered.
7. Great looking golf course right beside the hotel, but no deals on offer - chalk and cheese I understand from the Golf guys... unhappy neighbours it seems...
9. Outside of hotel... just all a bit scruffy... to TLC on show...
10. The staff I met were very pleasant and helpful... maybe just not enough of them.

So, what do you want of your hotel? Spa? Venue for function? Work hotel? (WiFi didn't reach my room) .. great food... My view , for what it's worth is that St Mellon's doesn't quite meet any one category fully... a compromise at best.

Make of this what you will... I remain undecided... I won't rush to come back... :-(

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking to time to post your feedback.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer you my sincere apologies for the obvious upset and inconvenience caused to you.

I will ensure that I have taken your comments on board and they will be shared with the team and re-training of the whole team will be carried out on service delivery and our guest expectations.

At the Best Western-St Mellons Hotel & Spa we constantly strive to ensure that all our guests are treated in an informal and friendly manner and therefore, enjoy their stay.

I am sorry you had to listen to members of the team discussing their personal issues and feeling uncomfortable when using the leisure facilities, this is totally unacceptable and has already been addressed.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and also my thanks in bringing these matters to my attention, thereby enabling me to take the necessary corrective action.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed July 2012, one night GBP 60.00

Aside from not being the easiest hotel in the world to find (some improved road signing wouldn't go a miss), this was a very nice find. Tucked away from the main road down a half mile driveway is this rather pleasant countryside hotel. We were given a room with fabulous, extended views across the grounds, good crisp linens and a lovely selection of products in the bathroom. Free wifi, just as it should be - other hotels in the area were charging an intolerably eye-watering 10-20 per day. They also seemed to have a computer set up for guests although we didn't use it. We didn't go for breakfast (£10 per head) but poking our head around the door it looked very appetising in a charmingly laid out dining room.

The only gripe I'd have is that the sealant around the bath was in a horrible state. Things like this are just an embarrassment and should never happen in hotels.

Room Tip: Go for one in the main building on the 1st floor looking over the grounds. There are also 'motel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights in June & was very happy with the overall accomodation,I was in the main part of the hotel & the room has been recently recarpeted & has new curtains.It was clean & roomy,but the.matress was well past it's best & a bit lumpy.I stayed on a half board basis & the breakfast was good,but the dinner was excellent.The only complaint was that the menu did not change over 4 days,but when I complained on the last day the chef offered more dishes. This problem was handled well. Overall I would recommend this hotel as excellent value for money on the tariff I was on.

• Stayed June 2012

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

My friend and I have just spent the most wonderful, relaxing and pampered time at this hotel.When we arrived we were instantly welcolmed with a smile at reception where everything was explained to us about our stay. We spent a fabulous 3 hrs being pampered in the Spa, Beth was my therapist, she was brilliant, the best full body massage I,ve ever had ( and I,ve had a few!)My friend had an equally relaxing time with Chelsea who was also very pleasant and friendly. We had a super lunch, the room was huge, a double and single bed, large bathroom, everything we could need. When we needed more milk,coffee etc it was brought to our room within minutes. The evening meal was delicious and Jessica who served us was very helpful and proffesional. We then had a few drinks in the bar where Rhys was very attentive and made sure we had everything we wanted.Breakfast was plentiful and a good choice on offer.All in all, we can't wait to go back.The staff are so friendly and efficient. The hotel itself has a really relaxed feel, we even sat outside in our PJ,s and dressing gowns to have morning coffee! beautiful surroundings and gardens. Clean, roomy and full of charm. Highly recommended for a totallly chilled and laid back break.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 29, lovely spacious rooms, plenty of light, very comfy beds.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bonniethebadger
Strathaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We are in Cardiff area quite often and this is one of only three hotels we use.

The hotel is situated in quite extensive grounds adjacent to a golf course but there are loads of trails to walk or cycle through the countryside if you have the time. There are a couple of frontage areas that require attention for this to look a hundred percent but it is close to it and as you arrive at the hotel you can see it is going to be good.

The rooms come in two types, the hotel and the chalets. The chalets are like American "motel style", and laid out for fitting into the package rather than ergonomics but they are of a good size and come with all you expect in a modern hotel room. Rooms in the hotel itself are different in that they are more traditional and they are all individual, For the business user the WiFi is quite weak and at times it was easier to go online with my mobile.

There is a small lounge / reading room, an open spacious bar (ideal for that first drink after check in) but the jewel in the crown for this hotel is the Spa facilities which are free for residents.

The Spa has a swiming pool of smallish size, jaccuzi etc and its own comfortable lounge / bar with the TV on the sports channel which makes it an ideal place to chill out for the evening.

I have to say the chef is good. Food is outstanding, real taste, the mushrooms are to die for, be it steak or a pasta, all no complaints on taste, the only criticism would be that we always think there should be more to fill it out.

Lastly, the staff, we were concerned our first visit as some of the young people just didnt have a clue and didnt care but we have never encountered this since and you will find staff quite good.

On a whole the recomendation is on would we use the hotel again ? Well we do, Its just a couple of little things away from being an Excelent, as said its only one of three we use in Cardiff area. The hotel looks good, its clean, the rooms are nice, the spa facilities are a bonus and the food is excelent...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Usk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

i stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding on 8th 9th june and this hotel was amazing, perfectly in character and the rooms both inside and outside in the garden were brilliant very comfortable.
the staff were amazing and could not be faulted for anything..even the lady who was in charge of the servicing of the rooms went out of her way to help.the wedding was amazing with every little thing catered for if needed,. the most friendly welcoming hotel i have ever stayed at. the food was brilliant and breakfast was great even when there were lots of people cramming the room! such a choice and excellent service.the wedding it self was beautiful i will definatley be staying here again or even booking a function here/.well done to all amazing and thank you.

Room Tip: 26 overlooking the front manicured lawns.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

stayed for the weekend for a wedding last week.everything went off brilliant .everybody were excellent bar staff and waiters.food was excellent.breakfast was a help your self absouloutly wonderful.the grounds and hotel are fantastic.would strongly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Ibis Cardiff Gate
#4 of 76 in Cardiff
Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Campanile Hotel Cardiff
#43 of 76 in Cardiff

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!