I like Best Western... individual places bonded by the same group... should confirm a standard.
This is a hotel in a great setting, you wont go hungry and you will safe etc. The only thing I have to comment on are the niggles?
1. Corridor to my room had a pile of used towels in it, they were there for ages, then most of them went - but one left behind.. sloppy.
2. Morning, bar area full of used glasses,,, looks like last nights party leftovers...
3. Quiet hotel... you can feel the tumbleweed brushing past you... but as other reviewers have said, given a large function it would be intense, and I didn't feel the place could cope.
4. Leisure - pool area had a non-working Jacuzzi and steam room, and showers 9 the ones to use before yo go in the pool.
5. Leisure bar area - this is a club where local people are members, fair enough - but when they all crowd around the very small bar after playing squash etc it feels like you are being intrusive to ask for a drink... not comfortable... :-(
6. Restaurant.. had breakfast, which was fine, but listening to staff issues being discussed in the kitchen is really not what I wanted to hear as I started my day... I did mention it but I am not sure if it registered.
7. Great looking golf course right beside the hotel, but no deals on offer - chalk and cheese I understand from the Golf guys... unhappy neighbours it seems...
9. Outside of hotel... just all a bit scruffy... to TLC on show...
10. The staff I met were very pleasant and helpful... maybe just not enough of them.
So, what do you want of your hotel? Spa? Venue for function? Work hotel? (WiFi didn't reach my room) .. great food... My view , for what it's worth is that St Mellon's doesn't quite meet any one category fully... a compromise at best.
Make of this what you will... I remain undecided... I won't rush to come back... :-(
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful, traditional hotel set amongst secluded gardens, yet close to the centre of Cardiff, the St. Mellons Hotel was originally a large country house. With high standards of service and an emphasis on luxury, today the hotel comprises 41 en suite bedrooms, all stylishly furnished, as well as a wealth of leisure facilities including swimming pool, Spa Works beauty salon and rejuvenating spa amenities. Guests seeking the finest cuisine can indulge their curiosity at our Llanarthan Restaurant. Outside the hotel, guests can take a relaxing wander in the extensive hotel grounds or discover the sights and sounds of Cardiff only a short journey away. We acknowledge the gracious living of an earlier age, yet appreciate the contemporary desires of today's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your St. Mellons Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Cardiff
- Cardiff Best Western
- St. Mellons Hotel Cardiff, Wales