“perfect sports/history location”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Went on a 2-day bargain break, and that's what we got. The hotel is literally across the road from the Cardiff Arms Park whilst on the other side is Cardiff Castle. The receptionist was excellent, saying our room was just about ready even though we were an hour early. When asked if it had a view of the castle she replied "No, but just a second - yes you can have one, and it's ready" Room was on first floor and had splendid view looking over the castle walls towards the river. Decor was good and bathroom had all the necessary goodies, including cleanliness.
Breakfast was nicely laid out and the staff efficient in allocating/ tidying tables. We even had afternoon tea thrown into our package and that was also held in the dining room but the service/tables were just that little bit more upmarket.
There is a small hotel car-park at the rear but you have to walk along the side of the hotel (20 yards) to get into the hotel. Once parked, and you just want to see Cardiff centre, then walking is so easy, level and interesting, with many covered arcades and cafes. Would thoroughly recommend this if you get the right discounts.

Room Tip: Ask for views of the castle
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greyadventurer
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and do hope you will return in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Would not recommend this hotel it is very poor and dated and not very clean beds are very small and breakfast very poor avoid pay a little more and stay in the park plaza or the Hilton as they are both up to date regarding decor and food is fantastic and service

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Darren R
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thank you for highlighting your concerns.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the Angel last weekend. Initially impressed with location and value for money we were disappointed with the inefficient and a few unfriendly members of staff. The room we stayed in was in a good state and as mentioned did offer value for money.
We tried to order room service, to find an extremely limited selection of drinks available and to be told that we needed to go to reception to pay for our order!
A maid knocked our door and tried to enter the room at 9.40am, this was very disappointing and inconvenient considering check out wasn't until 11am

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for providing your feedback and highlighting your concerns. Feedback such as yours is not the norm. I have investigated the comments individually with the appropriate heads of departments to ensure improvement is made where necessary.

I do hope you will return so that we can have an opportunity to deliver a much better experience.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

As a last minute need to visit Cardiff was very surprised to find The Angel with rooms free at such a good price..£65 per room per night, room only. Really great location between Cardiff Castle and the Millennium Stadium. Check in was very quick and easy with informative staff. Our room, 104, was located on the 1st floor with views to the front, overlooking the castle. Little bit of traffic noise but expected really given the hotels location. The room was well furnished with a comfortable bed and plenty of pillows. The decor was a little tired with a few damp patches in the corner by the window, but again I guess expected for an old building. Tea and coffee making facilities were in plentiful supply but due to the kettle being on a slide out tray underneath the television stand every time you needed to fill it the cable fell down behind the cabinet. The bathroom was generally clean but had spray cleaner residue in the bath. Overall a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I have taken note of your comments to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean with friendly and helpful staff. Reception staff on arrival were very accommodating and welcoming. The twin room we were in was clean but with an overpowering and lingering mens aftershave smell (think maybe a bottle smashed and soaked into the carpet at some point as it didn't fade while we were there!). Room was also modern, decent size tv, iron and ironing board and comfortable beds. Breakfast was good served till 10.30am. Very central location, ideal for shopping and a night out. £10 parking. I'd stay again for a night or 2.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I called the hotel an hour before check-in time to see if my room would be ready an hour early. I know this isn't expected of any hotel but in my experience if your room is ready it's not usually a problem. The gentleman who answered double checked for me and said yes it would be fine, although as I was saying goodbye he did decide to stress that "We can't guarantee the room before 3pm". I was in such a rush that I said "of course" but I really should have asked whether it was actually okay or not as I just sensed that something was off there.

Arrived an hour early and was greeted by two members of staff. One of them was a lady who was lovely but the gentlemen who I assume answered my call didn't say much aside from standing there staring at me while I checked in. I was told my room wouldn't be ready before 3pm. I waited to see if the guy would say anything but he didn't intervene so I thought you know what, it didn't sound too promising when I called. I was told I'd be informed when the room was ready and I could wait in the bar.

A whole hour passed and at 3pm I went to reception to see if my room was ready given that it was now the agreed standard check-in time. I was told it was ready fifteen minutes ago but they had been too busy. How lovely. At that point I genuinely just felt like leaving because as far as I was concerned the standard of service I was receiving wasn't even on par with what I've received in low budget hotels such as The Premier Inn nevermind a hotel that claims to be four star.

There was then much ado over trying to taking a deposit from my credit card of £100. I input the wrong PIN accidentally and the lady assumed my card was declined and then said "maybe it would be better if we try and take full payment for the room". I was then charged the £75 for one night's stay which went through fine. Whilst this is happening the male member of staff and another lady were sort of just standing there watching me which I found annoying.

With regards to the actual hotel, I'd just echo some of the main comments people have already mentioned. The hotel is beautiful on the outside and as you walk in it looks very grand and fresh but as soon as you walk up the lovely stair case it's all downhill. You're greeted by dirty, dingy corridors with carpet that looks like it hasn't been cleaned or changed for decades. The rooms themselves are on par with what I've experienced in an Ibis hotel once. Again, very dark and dingy. The bathroom sink had some sort of brown stains which hadn't been washed, there were no complimentary shampoo etc. instead you get a sign that says if you want it to ask reception. Well I'm sorry I consider that sort of thing a basic necessity, if you can hang an ironing board and iron in the wardrobe surely you can provide some sachets of soap. There was an overall musky smell to the room and there was this ugly headboard type thing on the bed which was very unnecessary and uncomfortable. The duvet and pillows were clean but you could just tell they were old by how thin and uncosy they were. The lighting in the rooms is horrendous as you only have one small window which is covered by an old 80s type netting beneath the dirty curtain.

If you're looking for four star accommodation that is actually four star I'd reccomend The Royal situatedon St Marys Street. The staff there are so accommodating and friendly without sounding like robots and the rooms are the total opposite of The Angel. They're modern, bright, fresh, clean and actually feel luxurious and as if you're staying in a good hotel. Big mistake making this booking but unfortunately The Royal was full but I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Thomas E

Thank you for highlighting your concerns.

I am sorry for the frustration caused by the issues you have detailed.

We are currently training new team members on reception, clearly additional training is required and am sorry this caused an inconvienance to yourself. Your feedback will be shared with the team to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

It is never our intention for any guest to leave unhappy and I am sorry this is the case.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Having stayed in the hotel on many occasions and always been happy we were so disappointed with the room and service we received. Room was very small with three quarter bed and lots of marks/stains on walls and carpet. Complained to reception and via email on return but had no reply. So disappointing for a four star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014

Please accept my apologies that you have not received a response sooner.

I consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who genuinely care about our guests comfort and enjoyment during their stay and I am frustrated that during your stay we were unable to either pre-empt or totally rectify the problems faced.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns.