“Such a shame.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Such a shame.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stay at the Angel on average about 4 times a year but i have to say I am becoming increasingly disappointed. Prices have gone through the roof for some reason, why is this? If I'm prepared to pay those prices I'd be staying at the Marriot! The last time we stayed was August bank holiday weekend and the hotel was busy, check in was slow but not a problem. The room however, was. It was so small it made me feel claustrophobic, added to that the smell of damp, cracked floor tiles in the bathroom and a general feeling of neglect all added to make me feel quite depressed. I went back down to reception and our room was changed. I did ask about the room upgrades that are always advertised at a very reasonable price on the counter in reception but as usual there were none available. Why not remove the sign if this is the case? If anyone could tell me how to get one I would be very grateful! Will probably return because we have some happy memories there but with some reservations.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

On a Thurdsay afternoon in late August, we checked into the distinctly not busy Angel Hotel.
Having been out for a few hours we returned to our room and at around 5pm tried to book a table in the restuarant for 5 people at 7pm. Nobody being available in the restaurant, the call was put through to housekeeping.
On arriving at the bar & restaurant just before 7pm, we were asked if we minded waiting for our table until 7.30pm. With 4 of our party being over 80 and not liking to eat too late, this wasn't ideal but we agreed to the request.
Sometime AFTER 7.30pm the restaurant manageress (?) brought menus to us in the bar and about 20 minutes later returned to take our order, saying she would take us to our table just before the food was ready.
As time was passing, we all omitted starters and only ordered main courses. (3 x grilled salmon, 1 x brisket of beef & 1 x fishcake).
It was well past 8pm when we were shown to a table in a restaurant catering for 10 other diners but laid for 60 covers. When it got to 8:45, I went in search of the manageress and found her in the kitchen. She didn't have the intelligence to be grateful that she could deal with my complaint away from the other diners and insisted on moving out of the kitchen (health & safety or some such, but with so little going on in there, that hardly seemed relevant) and back into the restaurant where the other diners were entertained by me complaining about the continued delay for which there was no apparent reason and telling her not to bother presenting a bill for the food.
The delay continued until it had been well over an hour between ordering and being served.
It certainly was NOT worth the wait either - my fishcake was a fried tastless mush, my sister in law's brisket was tough (how they managed that I have no idea) and the salmon was overcooked with soggy skin.
With such poor fare, my relatives hoped to improve the meal by ordering desserts - for which the restaurant insisted charging.

Despite my complaint and the grudging acknowledgement from the hotel manager that we would not pay for the main courses, neither the restaurant manageress nor the hotel manager actually made any form of apology.

Next time I go to Cardiff, I will NOT be staying at the Angel. (The room was weird too - seperate bedroom & sitting area and a ridiculously large bathroom. Unfortunately the sofa in the sitting area resembled something from an unkempt studio flat - we could only assume its original colour was brown, but it was so dirty, it was hard to tell)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

I very much regret the disappointment caused by the issues you have detailed. Your feedback is being taken most seriously and the issues you have raised are being fully reviewed to ensure that appropriate action is taken to learn from this very unusual situation.

I would like to extend my apologies for the shortcomings you received and I am sorry if this spoilt your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel offers good value for money. With on site parking it's easy to get to and well located for city centre shops and, of course, the national rugby stadium.

Whist this hotel has seen better days the rooms are clean and modern but can be a little noisy as the hotel is located on the corner of two busy roads. Service is good and you are made welcome on arrival although they could benefit from increasing the number of staff at reception as if you time it wrong you'll wait a while too get served.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room but if you don't mind noise the front rooms have a lovely view of the castle...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel looked amazing but I was let down when I went to the room, paint was peeling of the ceiling dirty marks on the walls that I could forgive but then I entered the bathroom, the floor tiles were cracked the wall tiles were mouldy and the dirt and grime around the wall mounted soap dish and shower made me feel dirty while I was washing. On the upside the bed was comfy.

• Stayed September 2013
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night 17 august 2013 with the boyfriend for his birthday. we attended the boxing at the motorpoint arena which was a short walk away. Staff very courteous and friendly room was comfortable and clean and certainly value for money. Breakfast was outstanding and would certainly stay here again. After reading some reviews about the hotel i must say i was rather worried but our stay was a great one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with regards to your recent stay at The Angel Hotel.

I am pleased you had an ejoyable stay and delighted to hear you will return.
Towyn, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on business, so was alone. The room, on first viewing was lovely, however, there where a few little decorative floors, but nothing that stopped me enjoying my stay. The bed was lovely and comfy, (3 nights away from home and I slept like a baby), the staff where helpful and friendly and the location was awesome, right opposite the castle and a 10 minute walk to the top of Queens St.

There where some guests complaining about the food, but in my opinion it was lovely. Breakfast was hearty with a good selection of fruit, continental, and traditional english. The evening meal was also good.

Free Wi Fi was supplied allowing me to work from my room in the evening which was a bonus.

I would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Over looking the Castle or the Millenium stadium would be good. My room overlooked the car park
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your feedback.

I was delighted to hear you had an ejoyable stay and a good nights sleep.

We look for forward to welcoming you back.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Having read several reviews for the Angel Hotel on Trip Advisor I was very unsure as to what to expect. I can honestly say though that I had a fabulous stay.

The rooms we had were both clean and well equipped, one had a lovely view of the castle, the other not such a great one out of the back, that would be my only complaint.

The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly, I hope to have the chance to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about your recent stay at The Angel Hotel.

We were very pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.