“dated hotel but friendly staff”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #30 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed September 23, 2013

On the whole a pleasant two night stay - booked a superior room but couldnt see what the difference was to a standard room. Ironing board collapsed as soon as I put it up - but another was brought up straight away (they didnt remove the broken one :o/)

Hotel in need of a revamp but very clean and rooms very spacious. One of the comfiest beds I have slept in.

Food was excellent - breakfast especially.

Outside of hotel - balcony from restaurant was disappointing - the hotel looked tatty - dirty windows - covered in bird poo - looked like they hadnt been cleaned for months. Signs saying the walkway around the lake was closed - however people using the spa seemed able to jog around it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

75 guests for family wedding based at this hotel recently. Large proportion were praiseworthy of this establishment over a Thursday/Friday stay. Situated within easy reach of M4 and city centre the rooms are well furnished although public area a little tired in places. Food, especially breakfast, was good with an excellent heated indoor pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi in which to relax. Staff were accommodating and eager to please but don't pay in £50 notes as they are not accepted!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank INDIALIMA77
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Location: The location is poor for Cardiff city centre. It's about 15 mins drive into the city centre. I don't know about public transport. However, if you are planning to explore South Wales then it is great. It's easy to jump on M4 (the main motorway into Wales from London going all the way to the west coast) and there is free parking which seemed relatively safe.

Room: The room is very dated. We had a twin and note what others said about 2 beds being pushed together to form a double. The reverse effect of this is that the 'single' beds are smaller than standard single beds in order for your 'double' not to be 6ft wide! A lot of the furniture is chipped and very dated. There is poor attention to detail as shown by the crooked lamp in the picture. Also to give you an idea of how dated this hotel is, they still have CRT TVs which do not swivel. See picture. Also, it looked as if it was once had a mini bar/fridge in the room which is no longer in use, the cupboard is locked and a make shift bottle opener is attached to the wall just below the sink in the bathroom. There is also no air conditioning or climate control in the room. I stayed in August when temperatures were around 20 degrees during the day and about 12 at night and felt the need to keep the small windows open for air and cooling. I don't know what this would be like during the hotter summer days. Also, whilst Hotels.com say the rooms are lake views, all standard rooms are not lake view, despite what the website says.

Bathroom: The bathroom is basic and amenities are limited. To give an idea of the standard they are aiming for, you get plastic cups instead of glass tumblers to rinse with. Our shower curtain was completely porous and water went straight through soaking the floor. We weren't sure whether this was meant to be the case or whether they had forgotten a layer but we were there for 2 nights and after the first night it didn't seem worth calling housekeeping about it. The shower head is fixed to the wall and is not adjustable in any way so hope you are not tall otherwise you may need to crouch. There was good water pressure and plenty of water.

Internet: This too has been mentioned on other people's reviews that they charge for wifi. I didn't look at the charges as I have Internet access on my phone since I live in the UK, however, I did not that the computer in the lobby was charging £1 for 10mins! Most Internet cafes charge £1 for 1 hour, so I don't quite understand the extortionate charge.

Swimming pool/sauna: The swimming pool is abut 15m long and the pool/fitness centre seemed clean. Bear in mind that this is not exclusive to hotel guests and public with membership can use the facilities. However, it was not busy when we used it in the morning around 8am. The pool and facilitates are clean and decent. There are hairdryers in the changing rooms along with lockers, showers and body wash. One addition I would like to see is a spin dryer to dry your swim wear after as they don't have drying lines in the rooms. Also, the pool closes at 9pm which I felt was quite early if you want to have a soak in the jacuzzi after a long day hiking in Brecon Beacons.

Staff: The first lady who checked us in wasn't very friendly, no hello, good afternoon, how was your drive etc, simply have you got a booking and what's your surname. Also, when I mentioned that hotels.com states that the room I booked was lakeview, she simply replied that standard rooms are not and that the hotel was currently fully booked so a lakeview room was not available. However, the lady checking us out seemed a lot friendly and I had only wished that she checked us in to begin with. Also, they don't provide you with any maps of Cardiff, you have to ask.

To put things into perspective, we paid £60 a night so given the costs, I wasn't expecting The Ritz and felt for the price I paid it was ok. I didn't stay for long and didn't need to be in Cardiff much.

I probably wouldn't stay again unless it was considerably cheaper than other competitors.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2013

A decent hotel but the bed or beds (two pushed together) provided me with two nights of the worst sleep I've encountered for years. Mattresses different heights and so uncomfortable. Room ok food ok and a nice place but they need to seriously invest in sleep comfort. Fir a hotel like this, not cheap, they need o address this. Room floor two.

Yes I would return but not that room.

I have stayed on business 6 times before with no issue.

Complained no response.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have stayed at the Copthorne on many occasions over the last few years and will be staying there again this Christmas. It is the perfect location to visit my family who are all either in Cardiff, Penarth or Barry. Also the shopping options of Tesco and M&S right next door help my need for some much needed items.

Some may be put off by the hotel being right next to a large intersection but I have never found it to be noisy. With a ge free car park available it is a good option for us as we drive to and from London and then around to see the family. the Copthorne may be a little awkward for reaching the city centre but we now park near a local train station and get the train into the city if we want to shop.

The staff have always been extremely nice to us and some of the people who have worked there longer always recognise us. The place is always clean and welcoming and I feel at home and relaxed when staying at this hotel. The bar area is a nice place to spend an evening with some great food and a nice selection of local products. Sometimes it can be a little loud when events are going on but it is nice to see people having a good time! It would be nice to see something other than sport on the TV but I guess it is what the customers all want to watch :/

The rooms are lovely. Yes the place could do with a bit of a spruce up but it adds charm somehow and the place really is always clean and tidy. So I don't care about the decor. We have stayed in a variety of rooms all over the hotel and all have been wonderful. Cosy but not cramped.

Good selection of TV channels but the tea and biscuits need to be refilled everyday and also be enough for the amount of people sleeping in the room. I have often found that the mini fridge is either turned off or missing...not sure why...can't remember it ever having anything inside which is weird for this kind of hotel. Although it does stop the temptation ;)

Breakfast is great! I don't know if I have been away from the UK for too long and forgot how a Full English should be but we enjoy this part of the trip the most! Always tasty and so much choice! Sometimes when it is quiet there is a delay with the food being refilled but otherwise I have never had any problems. My only pet peeve about the breakfast is the coffee! It is disgusting. I expected and still expect better but it hasn't changed :(

The only huge problem I have about this hotel is the internet! With the cost of the rooms, the age we live in and the competition they have why on earth does this hotel still have expensive internet!? Especially when it is also seen as a big business traveller hotel. Free Wifi for guests isn't too much to ask, is it? Or at least free internet via a cable in the rooms? This is the most disappointing part about this hotel and maybe one day they will finally read my feedback forms and change it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is located in a beautiful and convenient location. The views from high floors to the surrounding mountains is stunning. Its only about 6 miles from Cardiff City Center and has a shopping center opposite with a big M&S . The hotel is on a very busy road intersection so can be a bit noisy if the windows are left open. The interior decoration and room furnishing are a bit tired looking. The breakfast provided could be much better with better quality food and beverages for this grade hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor at the rear of the buiding