“Always impresses” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Newport, United Kingdom
“Always impresses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

3rd stay at the Copthorne Cardiff, this time attending a wedding. Very nice place to stay, with good Leisure Centre and restaurant. Rooms are very clean although would benefit from a refurbishment. Very busy on both night's we were there, but staff always polite and helpful-something you always appreciate as my partner is disabled. Many thanks to the maintenance chap for fixing our shower control. Asked that it be attended too after we left for the ceremony at 1.30pm. Returned briefly at 2.00pm and it had been done!.

Room Tip: Ask for lovely lake view room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here because we wanted somewhere with access to the motorway for a quick trip back in the morning.
Hotel was ok but a little tired in places. Room was nice, but pillows were very hard and therefore a night's sleep eluded us!
Bath was great!
Check in was efficient but we weren't told that the internet was extra and when I tried to log on, had to go through a process and charge at reception to allow this. We went out for dinner and on our return found that the internet was not working. Reception told us that this happened regularly and they would remove the charge from our bill. On checking out, this charge had not been removed but it was when I explained the situation. Again, I was told this was a regular problem.
We did not go to specifically use the computer but the choice of television programmes was limited so were hoping to use the laptop for this purpose. Unfortunately we were unable to do so.
As this is a chargeable item ( which is unusual in most hotels these days), I feel that it should be exceptionally good and working continuously.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for the speedway as every where else was booked...location good just a bus ride into Cardiff...hotel very good and decor suits the style...restaurant fully booked but looked pricey and breakfast very dear at £13.99 a head hence we did not have it...staff helpful and check in quick...would stay again but at £388 for two nights for just the room would try and find somewhere cheaper.

• Stayed June 2013
devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Me and twenty other men stayed here for one night and it was fantastic , the rooms are really nice and comfortable ,a great shower also. The food was great breakfast and evening meal ,the staff are helpfull and friendly ,the only things I would say is the Wi fi is chargeable in all the hotels I visit worldwide this is normally free , also the locker in the pool area is a pound again I think this is a bit steep . But that said I will stay again , if your in Cardiff and you want to stay in a really good hotel close to the motorway and golf courses and the centre of Cardiff this is the one. really happy stay by twenty one men unheard of .

• Stayed June 2013
Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

WE have just spent 2 nights at the Copthorne, Cardiff (our 3rd visit in as many years) along with a number of our friends who were attending a large family celebration. At first there was no sign of our booking which had been arranged some weeks before,but that turned out alright and was sorted. Some friends arrived the next day having booked in for a one night stay and were told that they had been booked in for 2 nights and as they hadn't arrived the previous night they were classed as a 'no show' and the booking cancelled! They were told there were no free rooms for that night (!!). They were eventually given a room but after much rudeness by the staff. We witnessed the rudeness and unfriendliness and quite frankly I was amazed. I thought that 'the customer was always right' but the staff were nothing but unhelpful. At breakfast in the restaurant, which was only half (if that) full, we wanted to sit by the window overlooking the lake but was told this wasn't possible but after insisting they pushed two tables together which accommodated 6 of us. When our Dutch friends arrived for breakfast they were told, not asked, where to sit. They were not allowed to sit by the window and were put in the middle of the restaurant even though this is not what they wanted. What impression of British hospitality must this have given them - unfriendly and unhelpful. I suggest that the morning reception staff are given training on how to treat guests and that they get their booking system to work properly. I must say that the afternoon/evening reception staff were excellent but this didn't really make up for their very poor colleagues. This will be the last time we stay there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

county durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was booked in to this hotel for one night with work.

Upon arriving I was checked in very quickly and had a room upgrade and a couple drink vouchers - a very nice touch. My bed room was spacious and clean with a view of the adjacent lake.

I used the gym facilities which were better than average for a hotel and also had a dip in the pool.

The evening meal was really nice, I had a sirloin steak which was cooked just right and had plenty of flavour and a nice sticky toffee desert. The staff were efficient and friendly and the service was great, I just ate in the bar as I was by myself.

I got a good nights sleep and in the morning I had a good breakfast before leaving.

I have read some negative reviews on here, the hotel itself is quite dated and the rooms were a bit noisy but overall I was happy and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. It hit all the basic points. It was comfortable, despite the fact there was no temperature control in our room. Windows opened up to cool things off. Breakfast was nice with all the basics, beans, bread, eggs, mushrooms, meat, cereal, etc.

Service was ok, nothing special. Tried to get a cup of tea at the bar late night and they said they were no longer serving tea, but alcoholic drinks were no problem. I had a tea bag on me and they were willing to give me some hot water after asking the manager? Strange but it worked.

If the location works for you, as it did for us, then I would recommend staying here. But I wouldn't go out of my way to come here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Village Hotel Cardiff
Village Hotel Cardiff
#20 of 76 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,022 reviews

Been to Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd? Share your experiences!