“Dissaponted. EVERYTHING is an EXTRA”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 4, 2013

At the time of booking It was Hobson’s choice really as I could not find four consecutive nights elsewhere. I stayed for two weeks at the Copthorne Hotel in Cardiff, & I am very disappointed with quite a few aspects of the hotel. (a) The rates they charge (Almost £60.00 per night which included a 15% discount) should include a breakfast, not as an extra at £13.95. This in my opinion is more like a £40 to £45 per night including breakfast hotel. (b) Internet access at £1.00 for 10 minutes ! Ridiculous, I used my 3 network mobile dongle which gave me a 3G signal & costs me only £15.98 per month with no limit downloads either. (c) Although the rooms were clean & a good size & reasonably well equipped although dated, they are the coldest rooms I have ever stayed in, The radiators were extremely small for the size of the rooms. (d) The lighting was very poor with the main ceiling light being near the entrance door & if it was not for the light standard in the corner of the room you would struggle. (e) The lighting is not helped by the woodwork being very dark in colour. (f) The second room was of a lesser standard than the first, but cost more & it smelt a little fusty & the circular table had the veneer peeling off it. Both the rooms were beginning to look haggard. (g) The TV system turns off each night at 17:30 for a "system upgrade" although I did not notice any change after the supposed upgrade, & it is extremely slow at loading the programmes. (h) I did not eat at the hotel on the advice of a colleague who was staying at the same time. (i) The attempts to make it safe for the hotel residents to access the hotel through the snow was half hearted. Good point- the toilet paper was not charged as an extra. If this is typical of the Millennium Hotel Group then I will steer clear in future. I am in Cardiff again towards the end of February for three or four weeks & I will not be staying at the Copthorne.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel & get better value.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Expensive due to rugby weekend & it does need a facelift. Very comfortable bed though and service was very friendly & staff tried very hard to make you feel welcome so I would definitely go back.... but when it is a bit cheaper ? Good breakfast. Taxi into City £15...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stopped at the Copthorne for one night. As it was the rugby weekend, we were charged over £200 for a double room with breakfast. The room was ok, but looked tired. There was peeling paintwork and there were lots of scuffs and scratches to the doors and the room looked like it had just come out of thee 1970s. The bed was comfortable and breakfast was fine, except that there were not enough staff to take tea and coffee orders. The reception staff were very cheerful and helpful. In summary, for £200, I would have expected more, much more!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This Hotel was clean good service friendly staff. The gym was ok busy may. I eat in the bar was a very limited menu but ok maybe look to eat out. Breakfast was good and ladies serving are very pleasant. Plenty of parking.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mlsouthport
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Arrived at the Copthorne following a few days of snow, with the snow in the car park having turned to ice, we were surprised that more grit had not been spread between the entrance and the car park, especially as the Sale Sharks rugby team were boarding their team coach via a very slippy walk.

The lady on reception was very welcoming and efficient, booking us into a room on the 4th floor, the room was comfortable with a good size bathroom, can't understand what people are talking about with the TV's being old fashioned, they have a picture and all the freeview channels, they did the job, not LCD but who cares?

The room was clean, I dropped something under the bed and had to crouch down to pick it up, not a speck of dust or fluff to be seen, nice load of tea and coffee available in the room.

We popped down for a few drinks and a meal, all the tables in the bar were reserved for a wedding party, so we decided to pop over to McDonald's over the road, but the car park was so icy we got half way across it and turned back, only to find the wedding party had disappeared to a function room, we both had a bar meal and a pint, the bar meals being better value than the menu that was in the room and the hotel Guinness very tasty indeed, the food arrived quickly, was well presented and very tasty, we were glad we couldn't get across the road to McDonald's.

It was a disappointing night for sleep as we could hear the wedding reception a few floors down and once the music stopped people returning to their rooms and doors banging, which was a real shame, we were surprised that the music was not able to be kept to just the reception, especially as the point of us staying at the hotel was to get a good nights sleep before driving home.

The next morning we didn't have the hotel breakfast as £13.95 each was the most expensive that we have ever seen at any hotel that we have ever stayed at, we drove over to McDonald's and had two breakfasts for a fraction of the cost, we would have walked but the car park was still a skating rink.

A nice hotel, good priced room, clean, warm, good food, drink and staff, but their soundproofing need improving.

Room Tip: Find out if there is a wedding and make sure your room is well away from the reception.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I had to be in Wales in early Jan because of a family bereavement and funeral. We stayed at Copthorne Cardiff in January, originally for 5 nights, later extended the stay for a total of 6 nights. Have split this review into good, bad, tips and a summary:

Good

Price. Was in Wales, needed a hotel. Checked late rooms, Copthorne Cardiff nearby so drove there and were given a price of £68.38 a night B&B for the both of us.
Great pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.
Bar food okay
Great breakfast, lots of choice, no extra to pay if you wanted something different; best eggs royale I have had in a long time.
Comfortable and quiet room.
Good access to major roads.
Staff were excellent - particularly the bar staff and one lady managing the breakfast room.

Poor.

Rooms are tired and decor dated - the lamp for example. The TV was hilarious, not seen a CRT TV in a 4* room for years and the choice of channels was woeful. It was so pathetic I burst out laughing.
Although we enjoyed them, the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna all need a revamp. As do the changing rooms.
If you want to connect to wifi you have to pay £5 for 24hrs! this is a ridiculous policy and one of the reasons why I doubt I will stay here again.
Toiletries offered do not include body lotion etc.
Bar food ok if slightly overpriced.
On arrival on 3 Jan, was told restaurant was closed and would open 7 Jan. This info was not on the web site.
Restaurant did not open 7 Jan (supply truck broke down!?).
On 7th Jan advised them we wanted to stay an extra night - was offered a rate of £90 for the night. Checked late rooms - price was £84. Asked why the difference - answer head office set price, Challenged this and was told that duty manager was not allowed to vary price (so not a manager then?). Staff offered to get a new rate the following day - they did and we were offered £74 for the extra night. No explanation as to why reduced from night before or why original rates we were given not offered.

This bit is bad and then good:

On 8 Jan restaurant still not open. No explanation. Given that bar menu very limited for non-meat eaters like me I asked at reception what was going on. They offered to contact chef who would give me a choice of veggie dishes. This they did and the meal I had was excellent.

Across the way from the Hotel is a large M&S where they have a sit in coffee/wine bar deli on the side of the food section. We had an excellent and inexpensive meal for 2 (glass of wine included) it really was surprisingly pleasant.

Summary.

This really is an odd mix of a hotel. So where to start. It says 4* on the tin (and am sure it matches the requirements to the letter if not the spirit). It is not 4*. it is a good 3*.
The rooms and decor are tired.
The staff at the hotel were (almost without exception) excellent and did the hotel proud - they made this hotel a good place despite the heavy hand of corporate that was laid upon them. You had the feeling that if the staff were given a free reign the hotel would be a much better place.
Millennium hotels should hang their head in shame at their pricing policy for WiFi - a completely out of date policy and in this day and age an absurdity.
Because of the circumstances we were experiencing, we were after a hassle and stress free stay. We almost experienced that, the staff helped but Millennium hotels policies didn't.
The price we paid was fair, however, would not pay anymore than £90 for 2 people B&B for this hotel. If the price is higher than that, go stay somewhere else.

The evening food options were so limited that we only ate there 3 nights, and our first night we did not arrive until about 1900.

Would we stay again - probably not.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank notjindivik
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Book for husbands birthday as the on line menu offered a wonderful menu but on arrival was told that the restaurant was closed and they would only be serving a bar menu, the restaurant manager could not understand how disappointed I was, the food came and straight away I could see it was of very poor quality again the manager did not understand that it was disgusting and later that night my husband was sick. Staff on reception very helpful but other than that I would definatly not return and I would urge you to think twice about eating their. Yuck.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple