“Decent hotel...good food and service”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
“Decent hotel...good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Even though the room furnishings are are beginning some age, this is reasonably comfortable and cozy hotel. I really like the wood decor and the overall cozy feel. The food in the restaurant and the pub are very good, as was the service. The fitness facility was also very nice. I didn't use the pool, but it looked nice as well. There is not much to do in the immediate area, but if you have transportation, Cardiff is a quick drive, and the hotel is convenient if you are going to Barry or points east (from roundabout, there is good access to the M4 and the A48). The only issues I had was that housekeeping was rather inconsistent (though room was always very clean), I think they forgot to take my laundry to my room (I had to ask for it), and they weren't able to print a bill for me when I left in the early morning to catch a flight (which I thought was rather strange). No real ales on tap, but a couple decent brands plus Guinness in the pub, which often was busy. I'd stay again but next time may think about city central in Cardiff.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
ningbo china
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

i stayed at this hotel for the first time November 26th, rooms very small , very old looking and very dark, this to me is not a 4 start hotel , but more on the lines as a good B&B , we stayed one night and was not impressed in the hotel or their facilities, the only usefull part was that is cose to the M4 to have aquick get awayfrom this dissapointing hotel. this hotoel needs a drastic face lift to bring it in to the 20th certury

Room Tip: go for the dulux or higher, t might be better than out rabbit hutch
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel is so 'tired' it is almost asleep! It is an utterly dreadful hotel and I would urge any traveller to find somewhere else to stay. For a start, the hotel is dirty in just about every respect and here I can do no better than refer you to comments made by previous reviewers.

Yes, my bathroom was filthy; yes, I had hairs on my pillows too; and, yes, the common parts of the building are dated, worn and scruffy. The whole place does indeed smell. The staff are poorly trained, the food is appalling and, yes again, the hotel represents incredibly poor value for money.

There was a time, a couple of decades ago, when I was 'on the road', when I used to stay in Copthorne hotels all over the world. What on earth has happened to this brand? It's now just a complete disgrace.

Not only will I never stay in this awful hotel again, but I will never, ever, stay in a Copthorne hotel again, anywhere.

The manager at this hotel should be put on a formal warning - sort it out, or get out!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Full stop.
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This Hotel was really good, the room was very comfortable and extremely good value for money!
Breakfast in the morning was excellent with plenty of choice. The staff throughout the Hotel were helpful and friendly. I will probably return for a weekend away with my partner I really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Came to Cardiff for the rugby match which was a birthday treat for my husband. Stayed the night before for the same price in a beautiful hotel in Hereford. Came to the Copthorne expecting a reasonable standard and was appalled. The room smelt awful, of feet and dirty vacuum cleaner, and was cold. The bed linen did not smell clean and was marked and there were hairs on the pillow and duvet. The bathroom smelt of drains, the plughole was full of hair and the bath was filthy. The staff were scruffy and uncaring, all except the two receptionists who were the only redeeming feature of the hotel. The decor is dull, tatty and dated. We had a panini in the evening which took ages to come and was average with stale crisps. The orange juice at breakfast was either very diluted or chemically manufactured as noted by another reviewer.
The most awful part was the extortionate and frankly immoral cost of the room.
We paid £187.98 for what was a complete rip-off, made worse by our excellent experience the night before in Hereford for the same money. I would have walked out but for the fact that my husband's treat was to see the rugby and the weather was too awful to drive home to Warwickshire.
Shame on you, Copthorne!!

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

A large bustling hotel with friendly staff and welcome. Room comfortable and large but very dated decor! I think we got a free upgrade as I had called to tell them we were on our ''mini-moon'; when I called they said 'oh we don't really do that here....' So maybe we just got lucky with our Connoisseurs room. We had breakfast at the Marks and Spencer cafe over the road as the hotel breakfast was nearly £14.... We stayed for one night for a wedding nearby and it was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
middle england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

First the good things: plenty of parking, staff were welcoming and helpful.The rooms were quiet, clean and comfortable.
The bad things: breakfast was woeful, composed of vastly inferior quality components; We use the word advisedly as the chemical nature of what was proffered as fruit juice seemed to be a chemical assembly rather than a gift of nature. The bacon was not much better and the beans worse. Cheap nasty bread and inferior preserves ensured a bad start to a dyspeptic day.
The decor was jaded, tired, heavy and oppressive.
The wi-fi, which cost extra, was more miss than hit; the tokens issued expired before you started, or at least that is what it said when you logged in

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Village Hotel Cardiff
Village Hotel Cardiff
#18 of 76 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,095 reviews

Been to Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd? Share your experiences!