“Excellent value Sunday lunch”

Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Called for Sunday lunch recently whilst in Cardiff with visiting friends.
We had a three course lunch.
Starters - good variety of options to choose from.
Main Course - yiu could choose from pork or beef which was carved in front of you. There was also chicken or salmon.
Sweets - large selection of homemade sweets that you could go back to, to get more.
Followed by - cheese, biscuits and grapes!!
Then tea or coffee to finish.
An ideal lunch for just £15 per head.
We will return when next in Cardiff.

2  Thank Annett J

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Well, after all it is a Marriott and you expect quality. Rooms were clean and well maintained. The staff of the restaurant was outstanding and the breakfasts were of good quality as well. I suppose the best compliment you could give any hotel is that you'd stay there again and I can say that about this hotel. It is close to restaurants, pubs, and shopping. Easy walk to the Cardiff Castle.

1  Thank montebr
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel was typical Marriott with good standards, executive lounge, restaurant and bar. The location was in the heart of Cardiff, lots to do nearby. The staff was knowledgeable about the area. But the service was better here than at any Marriot I have visited and I am a platinum member. Richard went out of his way to help us with bags and directions; he was most kind to a worn out traveler with a gimpy knee. Food was good, the service in the restaurant was wonderful, and the bar was great. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Facing city has nice view but bars are open late and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear BetCox,
I am always happy to read praising reviews, especially from our most loyal Elite Members. We pride ourselves to unbeatable customer service and it makes me proud that a Platinum Member who visits many of our sister hotels thinks we are one of the best. I will be certain to share your compliments with Richard as well as other members of the team. Once again, thank you for your continued loyalty and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cardiff Marriott.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We have stayed here quite a few times now and this hotel never disappoints.Lovely clean comfortable rooms,nice bar,lovely area outside to sit with a glass of wine and watch the world go by.Stayed room only this time first floor front view but opposite library,so not much of a view personally I like to be right in front of the café quarter,the noise doesn't bother me ,just love the view.The staff as always give outstanding service.I had an operation on my foot the day before we came to Cardiff we were going to a show on the Sunday evening.Unable to walk we hired a wheelchair for the weekend,not realising that the hotel might have had one.On leaving to go home my husband planned on taking me over to the coach station then going back to collect suitcase,but Rich I think he was the manager walked over to the bus station with us to save my husband going back.This is what I call service above and beyond duty MANY THANKS RICH will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear SomersetDaz,
I could not agree more that a nice drink in the Café Quarter in the Welsh sun is definitely the highlight of the day. Have you tried the brand new Lillet wine cocktail in the Chats Bar yet? I am sorry to hear you had an operation, but I am delighted to see we managed to make you forget about the bad experience and you had a brilliant time. Richard is always there to give you a helping hand, even if that is on the way to the train station. Hopefully you won't need it, but just in case for the future, we do have a wheelchair for times like yours. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Cardiff Marriott!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed on 20 June for 1 night. Discovered on 23rd that I was overdrawn by £85. I had been charged for 2 rooms, as my colleague's card had been declined. I was told this was in the terms and conditions! And that 'obviously we charged you for both as the other card was declined'. They told me until the other room was paid for, I couldn't get a refund! There was no apology for the theft of money and that I was now going to be have to pay overdraft charges. After kicking up a fuss, they did agree to pay me back the following day. However this will take several days to clear. I asked for the front office manager to call me back as I was not happy with their attitude. She failed to do so. They also tried to take 4 lots of £124 for rooms that had been cancelled. I am absolutely furious.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stevellangwm
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback. I was very dissapointed to read about your experience here at the hotel. I would be happy to discuss this issue with you further in more detail and ask that you contact me directly in this regard. Kind regards, Monika Hausmanns

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Centrally located, good modern hotel. No great views from bedroom but large bedrooms., parking convenient but expensive. Pay for parking at yellow meter on the way into car park. Good service. Expensive hotel rates and breakfast not included.Very good bar area for meeting with friends.

Room Tip: Away from the noisy main road is great
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, food was nice, facilities nice and staff very nice.
However this is let down by the ridiculous charges for internet in your room.
There is free wifi for an hour in the bar or reception, however this is not the nice place to be sat.

If you have had a long day, just had a shower or want to use the internet in peace they will attempt to squeeze as much money out of you as possible.

In comparison, the Radisson Blu across the street has free internet in rooms, Holiday Inn is making theirs free from July, Starbucks, McDonalds and even the buses have free internet, but not Marriott.

They may want to have the image as great for business and family friendly, but you don't always want to be sat in the bar trying to work.
You don't want to doing a Skype chat with your wife and kids next to men drinking beer and cheering for the football.
This is the only reason why I won't choose the hotel if I have a choice. There are plenty of other large chain hotels with great locations and facilities. The management should realise that internet is now seen as an expected part of a hotel, you don't charge for electricity, water or elevators, you shouldn't for internet
I would give a 4 or start review, but having to sit in the bar to Skype or walking downstairs post shower to send an email is like being back in the 90's

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Compact101
FOMCardiffMarriott, Front Office Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you for your recent review of Cardiff Marriott hotel. I apologize for the inconveniences caused due to our internet facilities. We as a company constantly looking for ways to improve our services and facilities and we appreciate you taking time to bring this to our attention. I can assure you we are currently looking into this. Once again thank you for staying with us and bringing this to our attention.