“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
sydney
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed with 2 other couples for a weekend in executive rooms. The evening drinks and canapés as well as free wifi worth the upgrade .

The location is excellent right in the centre next to John Lewis and St David's Central for shopping .

Lots of restaurants and bars all within walking distance .

A lovely walk or jog to the Marina or to The Castle .

The hotel could use a makeover but the room with king bed was clean and well appointed . Breakfast was plentiful and a good selection of fruits, cereals and eggs made to order .

Dinner in the hotel restaurant advertised as in partnership with River Cottage was disappointing . We all had 3 courses and the entrees and mains were all average . The dessert platter was the highlight .

The gym was well equipped and a good sauna .

The staff at reception were all extremely courteous and friendly .

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an executive club room as it is on a higher floor and not troubled by the noise of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I booked here to stay in what was banded as an EXECUTIVE DOUBLE SUITE, yes it was on the 9th floor but the room was pokey and stuffy. When I complained to the front desk, they said they were fully booked and the front of desk manager said there was abosolutely NOTHING they could do. As a compromise I asked for a bottle of presseco and she said she would look into this and provide drinks for my friends and colleagues when they arrived the following day.
However, they were not fully booked, there were still rooms avaliable on marriot.co.uk and hotels.com. Dont get me wrong I am not one to complain but when the attitude of someone stinks as a customer it really gets my goat! I then proceed to spend the afternoon working in the exec lounge where the broadband falls out every 5 mins. I ring the desk no one answer, i go down to the front desk and they tell me to work in the lobby. I mean come on ........seriously.
Fast fwd to check out I speak with the afforementioned manager and say I will never stay here again, the response is well that fine.....what more attitude! Hosting my drinks party at the bar, having cancelled lunch as why should i spend another £400 quid here, I am asked to set up a tab. I duly do this and ask that we have table service first round no problem. 2nd time I have to queue at the bar...well whats the point of setting up the tab then? no offense again the bar staff they worked v hard, the problem is those in supervisory position that dont give two hoots! Over all the bedrooms are dated, the attitude of the management is like it or lump it we got plenty more people that will pay and expect terrible customer service. Thanks for the comp bottle of house wine.....shame your attitude stinks and i had to get the glasses myself. A written letter of complaint is on its way. Congrats on losing the business of a sliver card holder for marriot, Im off to the vale and the hilton. .....

Room Tip: Book an exec suite but not the room 909 pokey and stuffy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FOMCardiffMarriott, Front Office Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently looking in to this matter. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused to you during your stay. Please PM hotel directly will be in touch as soon as possible.
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The location of this hotel could not be better for anyone wishing to stay in central Cardiff. I requested a room on a high floor facing the back because, on a previous visit, I had to suffer the noise of late night/ early morning from the clubs in the adjacent street. The room was not particularly spacious but, as I was alone, this was not a problem. The airconditioning was not up to scratch and the room was too warm.The hotel could probably do with a bit of a makeover as it does appear a touch dated. The hotel is comfortable , clean and welcoming and the staff are friendly and efficient. I object to the high cost of parking for guests and to the charge of WIFI. Surely, Marriott Hotels could to provide guests with free WIFI!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed with my Wife in an executive room for a Saturday night to go to the Arena. The location is excellent I have to say, the bar area was nice and the room was ok (nothing grand BUT they didn't trust us with a mini bar as it was screwed shut!)
we got back to the hotel around 10.30 / 11 pm and had a drink in the bar then when to bed.
I should have brought my dancing shoes with me, it was like a disco in our room which was bad enough but then the people next door decided to put the TV on really load (I guess to try and drown out the noise of the clubs)
We called the night manger who sent someone up to turn the tv down.The thud from the nightclubs went on until 2pm ish which the manager offered us free ear plugs after really getting annoyed with us for complaining!
Around 2.30am the noise seemed to die down so we thought that was it, how wrong we were!
Then all the Stag and Hen parties (I guess) turned up and the partying started in the rooms and corridors. This went on for hours and security didn't manage to control the noise.
We complained in the morning and the manger was fully aware of our complaint and then told us that there wasn't anything they could do because we booked through a 3rd party (expedia) - They pointed out that it was a city centre hotel and noise is to be expected - I agree but not at 3am in the morning surely!
We are waiting to hear back from the hotel as they are going to "investigate" and get back to us.
Simply the hotel doesn't have enough sound proofing internally and externally - I guess the hotel would be really nice in the week. but at weekends best avoided if you want to sleep. I have stayed in the Raddison Blu next door on a Saturday night and didn't suffer the same noise problem. Also if you don't mind the walk (5 mins) the Novotel is a great place to stay

Room Tip: stay away from the all night discos, stag / hen parties, but they do provide FREE earplugs!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jgbeaker
Guest Relations C, Guest Relations Manager at Cardiff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We also appreciate the fact that you have given us the opportunity to speak to you directly during your stay. Once again I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced. I understand the hotel is already in contact with you and we look forward to hearing back from you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

The Marriott is located in the city center and very convenient to all attractions. The service was outstanding. Mr. Richard Hallam, the concierge, is a treasure. His pleasant and professional manner was appreciated. Every time we entered the lobby he was there with a smile to greet us.
The snacks in the Executive Club were delicious and the service was lovely.
The room was a little small, but adequate. We missed a clock on the bedside table.
All in all a lovely place to stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve and Claud... M
Dear Steve and Claud,

I am happy reading your kind words about the service you received from us. I will make sure to pass your compliments on to Richard who is always happy to hear from our guests.

If you could provide me with your room number and check-out date, I would try to reunite you with your clock. I am available on +44 29 20 399944 and (option 4).
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Excellent service, good clean rooms, lovely receptionists.
What more could one ask for?
We highly recommend this hotel.
We stayed here for one night on Marriott points, and best of all, the hotel is walking distance from the city centre, and a mere 1 1/2 miles to the fabulous Cardiff Docks.
The thing about a chain like Marriott is that you more or less know what you are going to get. And it's usually very good indeed!

Room Tip: We had a lovely view on the 10th floor over to the stadium!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mickigirl1310
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed at the Cardiff Marriott for a few nights in July, 2012. We enjoyed the hotel and easy access to restaurants and some sights. We went to see the 'Dr. Who' exhibit and it was not too far from the hotel. We also drove to see Brecon National Park. It was an unexpected stop and the front desk workers were very helpful in providing information and directions for us.
Overall, I would give his hotel a positive rating and would stay here again.
I hope I get to visit Cardiff again.!
Enjoy!