“Overall excellent”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #33 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 13, 2009

The hotel exceeded my expectations with excellent service for me and my customers. All of my customers are very satisfied wich has a lot to do with the hotel and staff. A great stay and I'll be back soon again, with a new bunch!

Fred

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre

Reviewed March 3, 2009

We chose this hotel because it is directly opposite the Cardiff Arena where we we going to see a show on Sunday night. We arrived but struggled to find the right street because there was a road closed off due to building works. Eventually we found the car park but it was full, this was at 4pm in the afternoon. We were told that we could use the NCP car park at a preferential rate (£8.60 for 24hrs) which was OK. Reception area looks quite modern & we checked in quickly being told that our room had been upgraded. However, when we arrived at the room we could not quite work out what the upgrade actually was! Generally the room was clean but the toilet had not been cleaned and it was not pleasant so we immediately asked for someone to come up and clean it & left for the bar. The room had an external window which I believe is better than a window that looks out onto reception.
The bar was busy and the tables were often left dirty - I asked a member of staff if they had anything to clean the table with and she actually passed me a bar towel....so I did it myself! The bar filled up and a couple that shared our table with us were waiting to be served with a drink for 30mins, they gave up and left to find a pub.
We went to see a wonderful show.
On returning to the hotel just before midnight the bar area was stil fairly busy but we went straight to bed. From the hotel room we overlooked the hotel car park entrance and also a building that was under construction. I was woken first by bottles being thrown into what I assume is a recycling bin. Then at 3:30am the building works woke me - the noise was terrible and sounded like they were making and pouring concrete. After a terrible nights sleep we got up to go for breakfast.
Breakfast - service was mediocre, coffee was weak and could not be drunk, food was not good, there were some cooked meats & cheeses laid out but they looked as if they had been there for hours and were dried & the edges curling! Also I must state that they did not label any of the foods, my husband is allergic to garlic. There were 2 fresh breads that you cut yourself which looked quite pleasant so my husband cut a slice of what looked like nice crispy white bread, put jam on it & only when he bit into it he discovered it had garlic in it. Luckily his allergy is not severe but this could have been much worse.
Checking out was nice.
In summary I would not stay here, the rooms are refurbished but it is the whole package that should be right. Maybe if the management have a read of this they will address the issues.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2009

This hotel is fine and its location for shopping, dining and entertainment is good. My only negative comment would be that it is a nightmare to get to unless you have sat nav or are very familiar with Cardiff's one-way system.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2009

The location of this hotel is excellent. Right by loads of bars, restaurants etc and opposite the Cardiff arena. The castle and main shopping area are within walking distance and there is plenty of public transport available close to the hotel to get around.
However, when we went the hotel was half way through a refurbishment which we were not advised of at the time of booking, so the place did resemble something of a building site! Also, while the room was very nicely furnished, it over looked the main reception area so there was no window to open and it is no exaggeration to say we were cooked alive. It was so hot you could hardly breathe in the room which made sleeping uncomfortable. The price of drinks in the bar are highly overpriced along with overnight car parking charges.
We were also woken at 3am by drunken men shouting up the corridor to each other. All in all I would not recommend this hotel or stay there again. It has actually put me off booking with this hotel chain in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Stayed here on business for a week in November 2008.

Had stayed in Park Inn's before so was expecting something akin to a TravelLodge. In this I wasn't disappointed: clean, functional rooms with efficient service and very few extras.

I checked in on a Sunday night when the hotel was crammed with families. My room overlook the reception area and unfortunately I could hear the children running amok in the bar area and also noise from the televisions in the area. I asked to be moved and was able to do this immediately: my second room clearly hadn't been refurbished for a while but was blissfully quiet!

The room itself was a decent size although the furnishings were a little worn and the bathroom needed a general overhaul! (grouting in the bathroom was not very clean etc). Shower worked fine, particularly good given that I was on the third floor.

I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but did suffer the misfortune of the room service menu. The food arrived startlingly promptly: approx 10 minutes which suggested not a great deal of cooking had gone on. This opinion was borne out by the undercooked chips and charred on the outside, raw on the inside burger.

Luckilly the hotel's location is such that a short walk into town offers up many more amenable dining experiences! The hotel staff were able to advise on these.

Breakfast was ok but the fruit and cold meats did look a little worse for wear. The buffet set up worked well given that there were relatively few people in the restaurant.

Car parking was an issue: we could not park at the hotel for 3/5 nights and had to park in the nearby NCP instead. The hotel advertises preferential rates for this but I ended up being charged twice as the car park attendant did not recognise their validation of the tickets. The actual car park in the hotel is a bit of a horror: underground with concrete beams dissecting miniscule spaces.

In conclusion: a decent enough hotel for a short business trip but overpriced given the standard of accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank businesstraveller253
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Just got back from Cardiff. This hotel is in the centre of the City. We took a 15 minute bus trip from the Airport and a 5 minute walk from the Bus Station to the Hotel. It is 2 Minutes to the night life and a wide variety of Restaurants. The lobby was nice, The receptionist was efficient. Our room was very nice and clean. We booked the business friendly room which included breakfast and a king size bed ( Queen in USA ) The room wasn't small but it wasn't Hugh, but I don't feel I need big room for 2 nights stay for 2 people. The shower was the best EVER even better than American Showers. The bath towels were bath Sheets ( Hugh). We didn't go into the bar but it was buzzing on our way out. The Breakfast was really nice. The staff were kept very busy replacing anything that ran out and clearing tables. The restaurant manager was very friendly and also nice to his staff. I don't think this hotel was a bargain, but it was worth the money. I will definitely stay here again and wouldn't change anything.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Attending a christening on the Sunday in Cardiff, so had to stay over on the Saturday night. It was a rugby weekend and the room cost for B&B was £215 - ridiculous - but we were stuck so we had to book it.
Car parking is very restricted and you just get boxed in by other cars. Very poor.
The room was adequate - no more than adequate. Their website advertises a trouser press in the room but there was none, specifically when we needed it! Toiletries are practically non-existant - one small shampoo and a body lotion for two people sharing.....
The room we had (101) also over looked the reception area - an internal window and no external ventilation - very weird and claustophobic.
The bar is over-priced, but you are in the city centre so it's to be expected I guess.
The breakfast was chaotic - the dining room was full and they simply couldn't cope. It is a buffet, so you could get eggs but no bacon or sausage; or a croissant but no cheese or ham available. It took us 40 minutes to finally assemble a full breakfast (which by then was cold). Service was certainly not "with a smile".
When we were checking out, no one asked was out stay satisfactory, and when we pointed out the problems at breakfast we were told to mention this the next time we booked and we'd get a free upgrade!
It maybe goes without saying, there will be no "next time"!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business