“Good location shame about the hotel”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #34 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Good location shame about the hotel”
Reviewed January 14, 2009

The location of this hotel is excellent. Right by loads of bars, restaurants etc and opposite the Cardiff arena. The castle and main shopping area are within walking distance and there is plenty of public transport available close to the hotel to get around.
However, when we went the hotel was half way through a refurbishment which we were not advised of at the time of booking, so the place did resemble something of a building site! Also, while the room was very nicely furnished, it over looked the main reception area so there was no window to open and it is no exaggeration to say we were cooked alive. It was so hot you could hardly breathe in the room which made sleeping uncomfortable. The price of drinks in the bar are highly overpriced along with overnight car parking charges.
We were also woken at 3am by drunken men shouting up the corridor to each other. All in all I would not recommend this hotel or stay there again. It has actually put me off booking with this hotel chain in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Temperature of the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Stayed here on business for a week in November 2008.

Had stayed in Park Inn's before so was expecting something akin to a TravelLodge. In this I wasn't disappointed: clean, functional rooms with efficient service and very few extras.

I checked in on a Sunday night when the hotel was crammed with families. My room overlook the reception area and unfortunately I could hear the children running amok in the bar area and also noise from the televisions in the area. I asked to be moved and was able to do this immediately: my second room clearly hadn't been refurbished for a while but was blissfully quiet!

The room itself was a decent size although the furnishings were a little worn and the bathroom needed a general overhaul! (grouting in the bathroom was not very clean etc). Shower worked fine, particularly good given that I was on the third floor.

I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but did suffer the misfortune of the room service menu. The food arrived startlingly promptly: approx 10 minutes which suggested not a great deal of cooking had gone on. This opinion was borne out by the undercooked chips and charred on the outside, raw on the inside burger.

Luckilly the hotel's location is such that a short walk into town offers up many more amenable dining experiences! The hotel staff were able to advise on these.

Breakfast was ok but the fruit and cold meats did look a little worse for wear. The buffet set up worked well given that there were relatively few people in the restaurant.

Car parking was an issue: we could not park at the hotel for 3/5 nights and had to park in the nearby NCP instead. The hotel advertises preferential rates for this but I ended up being charged twice as the car park attendant did not recognise their validation of the tickets. The actual car park in the hotel is a bit of a horror: underground with concrete beams dissecting miniscule spaces.

In conclusion: a decent enough hotel for a short business trip but overpriced given the standard of accommodation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dated decor
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank businesstraveller253
Meath
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Just got back from Cardiff. This hotel is in the centre of the City. We took a 15 minute bus trip from the Airport and a 5 minute walk from the Bus Station to the Hotel. It is 2 Minutes to the night life and a wide variety of Restaurants. The lobby was nice, The receptionist was efficient. Our room was very nice and clean. We booked the business friendly room which included breakfast and a king size bed ( Queen in USA ) The room wasn't small but it wasn't Hugh, but I don't feel I need big room for 2 nights stay for 2 people. The shower was the best EVER even better than American Showers. The bath towels were bath Sheets ( Hugh). We didn't go into the bar but it was buzzing on our way out. The Breakfast was really nice. The staff were kept very busy replacing anything that ran out and clearing tables. The restaurant manager was very friendly and also nice to his staff. I don't think this hotel was a bargain, but it was worth the money. I will definitely stay here again and wouldn't change anything.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
northern ireland
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Attending a christening on the Sunday in Cardiff, so had to stay over on the Saturday night. It was a rugby weekend and the room cost for B&B was £215 - ridiculous - but we were stuck so we had to book it.
Car parking is very restricted and you just get boxed in by other cars. Very poor.
The room was adequate - no more than adequate. Their website advertises a trouser press in the room but there was none, specifically when we needed it! Toiletries are practically non-existant - one small shampoo and a body lotion for two people sharing.....
The room we had (101) also over looked the reception area - an internal window and no external ventilation - very weird and claustophobic.
The bar is over-priced, but you are in the city centre so it's to be expected I guess.
The breakfast was chaotic - the dining room was full and they simply couldn't cope. It is a buffet, so you could get eggs but no bacon or sausage; or a croissant but no cheese or ham available. It took us 40 minutes to finally assemble a full breakfast (which by then was cold). Service was certainly not "with a smile".
When we were checking out, no one asked was out stay satisfactory, and when we pointed out the problems at breakfast we were told to mention this the next time we booked and we'd get a free upgrade!
It maybe goes without saying, there will be no "next time"!

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — cost, service and inabilty to manage their restaurant
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

WREXHAM
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on a rugby weekend and paid £175 for room only.The attraction was to stay in the city centre and although I thought the price a bit steep I thought it would be worth it to stay in a really nice hotel. The room was clean, fresh and modern but really only adaquate, it certainly wasn't anything special, in fact not much better than a Travelodge. There were minimum facilities (ie only 2 tea bags so once we'd had a brew we had to ask for more) and hardly any complementary toiletries which was a nuicance as I'd forgotten to pack shower gel and there was only one small bottle provided between 2 people. In short this was adaquate, and not really anything to write home about.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
leeds
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Pretty good hotel - nice rooms and big bed! Good overall facilities. The bar is a little pricey but other than that you cant fault it. Location is perfect for city centre activities.

Stayed October 2008
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2008

This wasn't my first choice of hotel as I'd originally thought of staying at the Big Sleep Hotel. After reading some less then favourable reviews on here about that Hotel and due to the fact that I was able to get a good deal on a website I chose the Park Inn.

It's only a short walk from the Central Railway Station and not far from the City Centre either so it ticked all the boxes I had on that front.

I found the staff on duty very helpful and friendly and the room I had was fine, very clean and tidy. Admittedly the area around the hotel is a bit of building site at the moment, but that can't be helped and as I was out of the hotel for most the day the work didn't disturb me in any way.

The only meal I ate at the hotel was breakfast which was fantastic. The buffet style meant you could have as much as you wanted which set me up for a day at the Eisteddfod. There were 2 coach parties staying at the hotel at the same time of me and I did notice a few of the staff looking a bit frazzled trying to keep up with the requirements of other guests at breakfast on the first morning of my stay, so if anything I'd question their ability to cope with large numbers using the restaurant at once. However that didn't affect me and I found the staff very helpful and quick to bring anything I needed.

If I was l looking to stay in Cardiff again I would definitely look to stay at the Park Inn again especially if I could get a similar deal.

• Liked — Central location & great breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Staralto