“Halloween break”

Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Halloween break”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My elderly mother and I arrived at Park Inn on October 30th to attend a Halloween concert the next evening. The hotel was easy to find (with sat nav!) and we parked easily in the pay and display underground car park on site. There are a couple of disabled spaces next to the doorway which leads to the lift that takes you up to the reception area, this was useful for us as my mum has difficulty walking.
We were booked in quickly and the young man on reception was very friendly and efficient.The reception area has a very eye-catching red colour scheme which is bright and welcoming.
Our twin room on the second floor was spacious and very clean with lots of storage space, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, good size flat screen tv, comfy reading chair with lamp, desk with chair and wi-fi available.
The beds were extremely comfortable and we slept well the three nights we stayed at Park Inn. Considering that we were right in the centre of town we did not find it too noisy at all and loved the fact that five minutes after walking out of the front door we were in John Lewis and the St. David's shopping centre!
The bathroom was immaculately clean with plenty of fluffy white towels and power shower.
We only had one meal in the hotel on the evening of our arrival and again were looked after well by the restaurant staff and enjoyed our meals which we thought reasonably priced. (I can recommend the Swiss cheese and mushroom burger!)
All in all a great hotel and we will certainly stay there again when we visit Cardiff!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Park Inn Cardiff City Center and enjoyed all the facilities that the room had to offer.
I have shared your feedback with my team who are happy that their efforts with regards to the service offered and the cleanliness in the room was appreciated at this platform.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we wish to welcome you back when your travel brings you back to the wonderful city.
Mahesh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Park inn for a good number of years whenever visiting Cardiff. So our trip to the city for the Rugby League opening ceremony was no exception.

The hotel is ideally located with the main attractions just a short walk from the hotel. The hotel represents reasonable value for money, depending on what room you are allocated.

Unfortunately very little has been done to improve or enhance the rooms or public areas since it was acquired from Jury’s Hotels/Inns, the décor is as it was while operating as a Jury’s hotel.

What has changed is the room furniture, each time we visit there seems to be less furniture in the rooms, with various bits and pieces having been removed from the rooms by what must be a maintenance worker in training. Where something has been tidied up it seems to have been a rush job or just not finished. Therefore the hotel continues to be in need of a proper make over.

Cardiff has a good number of hotels, many have been open for a great deal longer than the Park Inn, but they have been upgraded as the years roll by while the Park Inn just plods on regardless.
Arriving at reception the check in was straight forward. I had booked a twin room with suitable facilities for an adult with mobility limitations. At check in I asked if I was being allocated the twin bedded room with a walk in shower and safety rails, I was informed that the room should be what had been requested. Very little attention was given to what I had requested, it wasn’t looked into so as to ensure that the room would be suitable for me, it was clear to anyone and everyone around the reception that I had difficulties walking. Foolishly I took the receptionists word and we made our way to the allocated room.

Entering the room, it did indeed have a suitable walk in shower, although just one double bed! I informed reception of this, using the in- house phone. I was reassured by reception that someone would go to the room and divide the double bed into two beds, this seemed odd because it was a double bed with one mattress. When leaving the hotel that evening to join friends for a meal I reminded reception that the double bed needed to be changed to two beds, again I was reassured.

Upon returning to the room that evening, surprise, surprise the double bed was still there. I phoned reception who agreed to send someone to divide the bed later in the night. I pointed out that I wanted to go to bed very shortly and didn’t really want to stay up for another 30 or 60 minutes. So a member of staff turned up 15 minutes or so later.

The staff member was very pleasant and proceeded to divide the bed, only to realise it was actually a double bed and not two single beds secured together. He apologised and returned to reception, returning 15 minutes or so later with the news that I would have to be moved to another room, so I agreed… I just needed to go to bed!

We made our way to the new room and it had the required twin beds. However the room was in a poor state, worse than the original room allocated. All rooms seem to have very poor lighting, it is almost impossible to read anything in the room during the day or night. A number of bulbs were not working in both rooms allocated, which clearly affected the level of lighting in the room.

Our second room featured two random bedside table lamps and one standing lamp in the other corner of the room. One down-light was working above to entry door and another light was still working in the bathroom, but nothing else.
Eventually I fell asleep, pillows very poor though and considerable noise outside throughout the night, made no difference if the window was open or closed, the same noise level penetrated the room.

The following morning we awoke and were amazed to find a partially eaten triple pack chicken sandwich from the Co Op in our room. It certainly wasn’t there the previous evening when we went to bed, I’m sure the staff member would have spotted it and removed it and we had not bought anything from the Co Op. This left us rather concerned that someone might have entered the room while we were asleep, rather alarming!

On a more positive note the Park Inn now offers Wi Fi for a sensible price, during previous visits I had raised the issue over what was being charged to connect to the internet. Now there is a free basic connection to the Wi-Fi service and an optional premium service a £5 a day, a great improvement on the previous set up.

We would have to consider carefully about returning to the Park Inn again, it is showing its age, the rooms are becoming very poor.

Room Tip: Take a torch - the room lighting is minimal with many bulbs not working and few lamps in place.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am disappointed to see the issues that you encountered during your stay. I have taken up the issues regarding the beds being twined and the half eaten sandwich found in the room with my House Keeping manager who has made sure that all corrective actions have been taken so that issues like this don’t re occur. Also the issues with the lack of light in few rooms have been addressed effectively now. I am glad that you appreciate us providing free wifi in the whole hotel to cater to the increasing needs to various guests who use us.
Again my apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay and I hope you will give us another chance to change your opinion about us.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me if you wish to discuss this issue further.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

First off, the car park is minuscule and once full your only nearby option is to park in st David's... At £18 overnight! Perhaps the hotel could negotiate a discounted rate?
There were some aspects of the hotel that were very nice, the staff were all friendly and the breakfast was decent. However the first room we were put in clearly hadn't been decorated in over 20 yrs... Threadbare carpet peeling paper no lock on the bathroom door and appalling lighting. Refuse room 506 on the spot. The second room after complaining was a marked improvement, but still wasn't wowed. The major plus is the hotels location, slap bang in the city centre, not sure that it is worth the price tag for the room but the second room was at least alright. All ok but not blown away.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay. We are aware that some areas of the hotel do look tired and feedback like yours always helps us to be on top of rectifying the problem areas. You would be glad to know that we have a soft refurbishment planned at the beginning of next year which give the hotel a fresh and modern look.
As you said that we do take extreme pride in our location being in the heart of the city center close to all the major events and attraction that Cardiff has to offer.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback, and we hope to see you again when your travel brings you back to this wonderful city.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

we booked a family room sofa bed was broke, cold room ,they made a single bed up for my daughter in our room when we mentioned the sofa bed was broke . we went out into the city for a while when we came back it was there another single bed made up we only have 1 daughter but 2 single beds so cramp for space . the hotel is so centrall but do not expect luxury it,s very basic and next time will book somewhere else nicer .the room was £105 ok plus your parking on top
the pillows were very bad ,lumpy small very hard woke up with a bad neck and ear.

Room Tip: 407 looked out on street no noise ,a lot of stairs if you do not like lifts
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shirley o
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you were caused because of the congested space in the room because of two extra beds.

I have done some more investigation into the issue and have found out that initially you were given a family room which is a purpose made room to accommodate big families like yours, but unfortunately due to the sofa bed being broken we had to accommodate you in a business class room which is an upgraded room but is not ideal for big families and that may have resulted in the congestion. Please be assured that we have taken all corrective actions to make sure that issues like these don’t reoccur.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and we hope that you will give us another chance to change your opinion about us.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me if you wish to discuss these issues further.

Rio
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The space is ok, but shower is not good, room is very noise and cold.In a business travel you need to sleep! more than that you need to rest!!!
terrible noise coming out into the room!
room is chilly made me sick to the bone, and never wanna go back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I do apologies for the issues that you encountered in your room. I have addressed the issues with the room being too cold and the slow pressure in the shower with my chief engineer who has taken all the necessary action with his team and the issues don’t reoccur for the next guest. Also, if there are issues like this, we usually advise our guest to just dial ‘0’ from the room to make us aware of the problem so that our team can either rectify the problem immediately or offer you an upgraded room move.
I have shared your positive feedback about the breakfast with my Chef and they are happy that their work was appreciated at this platform.
Again, many thanks for your feedback and I hope you will give us another chance to change your opinion about us.
Northampton England.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Spent the weekend in Cardiff, just relaxing, shopping and going to watch the rugby.
The hotel is very central and represents with the deals on offer represents good value for money. It's smack bang in the centre of town so some external noise should be expected but we had no real problems. Parking was expensive at £12 / day but I guess this was the city centre. Whilst there we discovered Cardiff were playing Toulon at the Arms Park and at £20 / ticket this was good value. Loads of shops & restaurants within a few minutes walk. For a short break in Cardiff you'll have a job to beat this place.
That said, the hotel is starting to look a bit frayed around the edges, the beds were saggy, pillows thin and carpets looking a little worn!
I thought the breakfast was very good, if you could not find anything to suit your apetitite then their must be in the wrong grade of hotel!
Would I return? For a cheap weekend in the city, definately.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 19IL58
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with all the facilities that the room had to offer. As you mentioned, I am aware that there are areas of the hotel that are looking tired and you would be glad to know that we have a soft refurbishment planned at the beginning of next year. I have shared your feedback with the rest of my team who will make sure that your efforts are appreciated at this platform.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and we hope to welcome you back when your travel brings you back to the wonderful city.
Fenton, Illinois
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This looked like a good property on the outside but once I was in my room that thought went out of my mind. It was a very plain property that definitely needs updating. My bathroom had a hole in the wall by the tub. I really feel like you should fix something like this before assigning travelers to this room. Just a very forgettable hotel. Many in my tour group were unhappy with this place also.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels