“enjoyed my stay - would stay here again”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed August 31, 2012

first time i've stayed here - very impressive reception area with bar - smooth check in - got room on 5th floor

located across the road from the Cardiff International Arena - very close to shops and many places to eat

nice sized room with queen sized bed - room looked out onto the arena so was bit concerned about noise - was bit odd when i started looking around as looks like the room used to be connected to the room next door - had a door that had been painted (badly) and was bolted and padlocked - was a shame as it looked out of kilter from the rest of the room - i had a look outside the room and the room next door looks like it has been taken out of use

i only stayed a night so wasnt concerned about these things but there were a few niggles - carpet had been cut very badly around a unit by the side of the bed - there were lots of white threads around it and it looked very messy - socket where aerial lead goes in had been ripped off wall and again looked messy - few marks on walls - shampoo ran out while i was having bath so dispenser must not have been changed for a while - also the knob you have to pull to make the shower come out instead of bath water woudnt stay up so that was annoying

but like i say i was only there a night and it didnt spoil my stay

i slept like a log in the one night i was there - i had the window open all night - i didnt hear any noise from the crowd leaving the arena that night or from any of the other rooms

the only disapointment is really the very small things that made the room less impressive than it should have been - you had to look to see them so knocked a point off

would stay here again though :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed August 31, 2012

stayed in the hotel over the weekend with my girl friend to go for Michael McIntyre concert.what a fantastic location,right opposite CIA,very handy shopping center near by.fantastic bar to have a drink before and after concert.great value pre- concert promotional menu in the hotel restaurant,very happy and helpful staff.the lobby was very modern with funky furniture's, the rooms where a bit out dated but very spacious,clean and great night sleep.the best bit we liked was the breakfast,what a variety buffet and a great smiling staff.will definitely stay here again.thank you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
mahesh j, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

I was really pleased to read that our services very much met with your expectations and delighted that you would certainly stay with us again, were you to visit Cardiff again. So glad you had your best ever hotel breakfast with us - what an achievement for me to share with our breakfast team. very glad to know you enjoyed our pre concert dinner.Thank you!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I read some of the reviews of this hotel before we went and read a few disappointing ones so I thought I would add my own! We had a really great time staying at this hotel and shopping in Cardiff. We arrived later than planned so went straight out but we were happy with our room and the welcome on reception. We were going to a show at the Motorpoint Arena which is literally opposite making this a great location. We decided to have dinner in the restaurant before going out and so glad we did as it was lovely, the restaurant staff were really nice! Drinks were expensive but that is to be expected from the big city (we're from Devon!) The only downside was the location of our room as we could hear banging in the night which we realised in the morning was the 2 lifts but we still managed to get a fairly good nights sleep. We went down for breakfast at about 9am and there was plenty of room in the restaurant - the food itself was great and a nice big selection so you could have as much or as little as you wanted. Overall had a brilliant stay and will be booking another show and another stay in this hotel sometime next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

I’m so pleased that our ‘staff welcome’ kicked off your stay so nicely. We care a great deal about our teams and to hear that they have delivered above your expectations is great to hear. I will share your kind words with our team.kind apologise for the banging noise in the night,we will difinitely look in to it.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed in the Park Inn last night with our room situated on the fourth floor. The hotel is very nice looking the foyer is very colourful and quirky. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and our room was clean and tidy with a good view of the city. There was a flat screen tv with remote with a good selection of channels, Although the bed was a lot harder than we are used to and the room was very hot but a fan was provided. They have their own hotel basement car park where a lift goes down into it however, they do charge extra for parking (£12 for 24 hrs) but as its in the centre of town this is to be expected. There was a good selection for breakfast, the staff were friendly and the atmosphere was welcoming.
The only down side is that there was no fridge provided in our room and it was so hot we could have done with chilled drinks when we got back! Overall we were more than satisfied with our stay.

1  Thank Joanne D

I’m really pleased that in the most everything was to your satisfaction. Our fantastic location is a real attraction and our RBG Buffet Breakfasts are second to none.we are definitely looking to get fridges in all our bed rooms in near future,hope to see you soon.

thank you very much.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Booked 2 nights here over the August Bank holiday and we were really pleased with the location. We were lucky to be able to squeeze our car into the car park and paid for the parking at the machine each day. Not cheap but comparable to any other city centre.
The hotel public areas were attractive and clean, check in quite straightforward, not particularly friendly but not rude and the room was a good size & had everything we needed BUT omg I am so glad I didn't look under the bottom bed sheet until we were leaving as it was covering the skankiest mattress with no protector on it - quite disgusting to the point where although I had quite liked the hotel (except the restaurant which I will get on to) I wouldn't be able to stay there again.It's quite fortunate I didn't see it until the last minute as it wasn't big enough to tuck in around the edge of the mattress so would ride up during the night - my skin may have touched that mattress - yuck! The hotel should a) invest in mattress protectors (Alex Polizzi would have a fit) and b) invest in sheets large enough to make up a double out of 2 single beds or, heres a thing - use 2 single sheets on the 2 single mattresses making up the double.
Now the restaurant - we only used it for one evening meal as the breakfast seemed quite expensive and the John Lewis restaurant next door a much better option.
We turned up and were shown to our table and left with our menus - and left - and left - with no staff in sight. Eventually our order was taken and we asked for a bottle of wine and one of water. Again we waited and waited. eventually as one of the waitresses passed our table we said 'could we please have the drinks we ordered?' This seemed to be a novel idea to her but she managed to procure them for us within a few minutes and then after a bit more of a wait our food arrived. Mine was very nice but did not have any vegetables. My husband suggested I should have ordered a side dish of veg which is probably true & would have been nice to have been pointed out when ordering. As we waited we watched other diners around the room go through very similar ordeals to get drinks & food - and a clean glass in one case. The waitresses were quite sweet and seemed to be working hard but with no particular direction - one was actually far too busy laying the empty tables for breakfast and ignoring the needs of the current diners!
It was not a cheap meal, the service was poor and the restaurant itself was strangely lacking in atmosphere - nicely decorated but with the feel of a works canteen.
With just a few improvements (beds & restaurant training) this would be a hotel I would strongly recommend but as it stands it still makes my flesh crawl to think about it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Daily we look for ‘great’ in everything we do. I am therefore disappointed that you felt our matress protector have an issue . We do invest heavily in linen programs to make sure our bed rooms linens dont look tired. Generally our reviews praise our high standards in our bedrooms. I do hope that you give us a second chance and have the opportunity to see that this is not our normal standard.

thanks you very much for your honest opinion.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Have stayed here before and was just average, recent stay was slightly worse on a number of areas: check in was chaotic and I was the only one there, goodness knows what happens when there is a rush! Reception staff spoke over me to each other and another member of staff which I find very rude. Could not pay my parking so had to go back to reception to report this only to be told it could go on bill, it would have been useful for reception to offer this.
Room was fine and had everything I needed, handy to have room safe as well. Odd that the bed runner was on wrong way on bed so lining was uppermost. Nice big bed and room clean.
Breakfast was a haphazard affair and so i ordered room service, my toast arrived burnt which is unacceptable.
There was a coach tour in one day and they did dominate the restaurant so service was poor with no real priority, don't mind waiting if there is apology and some logical system to serve everyone. The waiting staff were also running the bar, so quite a wait for the drinks.
The lift was faulty and it was a worry to get into it, it kept stopping mid floor, I had to get reception to accompany me as I was leaving as I was so concerned.
However I have to say that this hotel is a great location for the shops being right next door to john lewis and opposite the arena. With some staff training and a refresh of rooms this hotel would meet standards expected by the raddison group. Until then it is ideal for coach parties, nights out in Cardiff and cheaper end business hotel.

Room Tip: With a dodgy lift stay to lower floors if you want to use stairs
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Harrycrac
Reviewed August 29, 2012

i was very disappointed with this hotel. It looked ok on the surface but it was very shabby in places. The most disappointing thing for me was a couple of members of staff. The receptionist when we checked in wasn't very welcoming and when we went for breakfast the next morning the server informed me that breakfast was not included in our booking, to which i informed him that it was on a special rate at £8 per day and i would be adding it to my room. He then followed me around whilst i was getting my breakfast to explain that there was no special rates on today as he had checked with reception!!! Very very rude and I was not impressed. I complained to reception but he basically didn't care and just said he was following procedure but he would have a word with him. When we came back to the hotel on the Saturday night none of us could get into our rooms, there was 4 of us in two rooms and none of our cards worked. The receptionist tried to explain that they do get wiped from time to time, but we had 4 cards and none of them worked. I then tried to charge my drinks to my room but was told i had no credit!!! My card was swiped on arrival so we could charge things to our room. On the plus side this is in a fantastic location, but that is it. You have to pay to park which is not very good as this isn't the cheapest hotel i have stayed in so you would think they would have more parking. I certainly wouldn't stay here again that is for sure. I recently stayed at A Park View Hotel in Wolverhampton and that was superb, every time i walked in the hotel I felt welcome, unlike Park Inn. I would like to add that the bar staff were lovely though, they couldn't of been more friendly, so thanks guys!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family