“Ok for a one night stay but dont expect too much”

Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Booked a family room , room OK but have stayed in much nicer at a similar price. This room reminded me of a budget hotel room. No freebies in bathroom, shock horror!

Duvets much too thin, felt cold all night but radiator dried out the air too much so couldnt leave it on.

Great location for Motorpoint Arena, didnt experience any noise from the road. Great location for shopping and restaurants.

I feel the hotel staff should have done something about a group of teenagers using the lobby toilets to get ready for a concert and then using the plug sockets not only to charge their phones, but to straighten their hair in front of the large mirror! They obviously were not staying there (however they did buy a drink so I suppose that makes it OK!)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Hi Lynb01, Thanks for taking the time to write your reivew about your stay. We are sorry that your stay did not exceeed your expecations and wish we had had the opportuinty to put i t right for you.

We hope you will try us again and please do not hesitate to contact us if you should wish to discuss anything at all

Kind regards

Marisa Morteo (07912 564 964)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,549)

Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at the Park Inn for an engagement party last weekend.

The hotel reception area is lovely, really modern complete with a nice relaxed atmosphere.

The check in process was easy, complete with a very helpful and friendly gentleman. The room was pretty much average, it was perhaps slightly laughable that we had been 'upgraded free of charge to the executive room as a result of being accompanied by the party' - barely any difference between the two rooms it seems, but, I was grateful of the acknowledgement and the kind gesture.

My only gripe was the bar service and buffet. The hotel were aware that approx 200 were due to attend the party, yet had one member of staff on at the private bar for most of the night with another member of staff dealing with the food. The main bar in the reception area again only had 1 member of staff. I queued for 25 minutes for my first drink, this is totally unacceptable.

For the price that the hotel charges for both the party and the guest rooms, I think an urgent review is required of staffing levels. There was also great confusion with the two bars having different levels of stock and different barrels on draught. You're making it more difficult for your staff doing this! I've not taken this up with the hotel directly as I know the party organisers have done so.

We were determined not to let this ruin the evening and did have a great time at the party, we appreciate the room upgrade gesture, although if there is a party there again, I'll be sure to stay at the other Radisson hotel across the road (Radisson Blu)!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Hi Gingershane, thanks for sharing your comments with us. We are glad the felt the rooms and pverall hotel as of a good standard but are sorry you felt the staffing levels were not sufficient. We can confirm there were four staff on for the function and we had great feedback from the organiser.
We are again sorry if you felt the service was not swift enough and will take your comments on board

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed here 30th November 2011 for a gig at the Motorpoint arena. The location was brilliant as the hotel was right across the road from the Motorpoint. This was my reason for choosing the hotel, as well as the fact that the pictures of the hotel looked good and the rating on here was not too bad.
I have stayed in a number of hotels over the years and have recently taken to reviewing them for the benefit of others.
Initially when I walked into the hotel it looked very promising. The hallway and reception area was very nicely decorated but it was a totally different story when I saw my room.
I have sent a letter of complaint to this hotel over the issues I had.
There was a fire alarm at 3 in the morning which I realise the hotel had no control over and so I was not too concerned about this and could not hold the hotel responsible for it.
However, I got up in the morning to cold water and was advised that this was because the manager on duty that night did not check to make sure that the water heater had come back on after the fire alarm. So every guest that morning had to have a cold shower.
My room was not great, the decor was poor with rips in wallpaper and a big dent in the wall. I have been advised that the rooms on that floor are due for refurbishment, but that does not make me feel any better. I should at the very least feel comfortable and feel that I am staying in clean room. There was a broken piece of a plastic razor just inside the door when I first walked in. I put this down to the cleaner dropping it on the way out the door with a bag of rubbish. So I let that go.
The grout in the bathroom tiles was dirty. The plugs were so low down and close to the desk that my phone charger and my straightener's would not fit in the plug socket. I managed to pull out one of the lamp plugs to plug them into that. The room was very dark and despite having 4 lamps in there it was still poorly lit.
I was contacted by the hotel and they offered me an upgrade to one of the premium rooms if I chose to stay there again. I advised them that I was unlikely to stay there again or indeed visit Cardiff again. So they offered me 30% reduction to my rate. I was advised of this on 19th December 2011, this is now the 21st January 2012 and I am still waiting on my cheque.
I advised the hotel I would be writing a review. I am sure they will respond to this with some rubbish. I would not trust anything they say again. I will be amazed if I ever see a cheque with the 30% discount. Which quite frankly is an insult to the dreadful night I had at this hotel.
The only thing that redeemed the hotel slightly was the fact the breakfast had a good variety and was in a nice clean bright breakfast room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sandie c
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Hi Sandie C, we are sincerely sorry for the issues you encountered whilst staying at the hotel last year and can assure you we take your comments very seriously.
On talking to my Housekeeping Manager I believe they have been in constant communication with you over the Christmas season and a discount was offered as a gesture of goodwill and has been processed via the agent you made the oirignal booking with. This has been processed and we will chase it up on you behalf as you seem not have received it.

If you would like to discuss anything further and would rather speak directly to me please do not hesitate to call, my details are below.

Kind regards

Marisa Morteo (07912 564 964)

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed in the hotel with 3 colleagues having booked through a booking website for a reduced cost of £55 this was “apparently” reduced from £295. £295 ha, the room was of a less standard of the Premier Inn. My room was so hot the window had to be opened, this being on a night of -3o C overlooking the main student street which was party city until 3 in the morning. My colleagues room was so cold he had to be moved after he requested 3 times there was no heating and limited bedding. I would also mention the beds and bedding yet I think my negativity may put you off. Well so it should. Horrendous! If nothing else available, drive home.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

Hi Lisa G, Just wanted to acknowledge your review regarding your recent stay as we are obviously concerned about your comments. We are sincerely sorry if you encountered issues with temperature regulation in the rooms but all the rooms have thermostat controls and can only apologise if something was not functioning correctly during your stay. We are glad we were able to room move and correct the issue and that all other aspects of your stay were enjoyable.

If you should have any further concerns regarding your recent stay please don't hesitate to contact me directly

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was staying with a group of Friends for 1 night to celebrate a Birthday and the Location was perfect. Close to Shops, Bars and Restaurants.

The Bar was well stocked and received Good service.

Reception were friendly but nothing special.

We had some vouchers form breakfast for £10.00 Per Person, and wish we hadnt bothered. No breakfast left on the buffet and poor quality food. There were still guests coming in after us and little food was replenished.

I would stay again, however look else where for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
MMorteo, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Hi Elaxton. Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I am glad the overall experiance was good and you enjoyed a drink or two at the bar, we are sorry though that we did not exceed your expectations for breakfast - which is usually a real good one!!

When you are back next please drop me a line as I would like the opportunity to make it right

Many thanks

Reviewed January 17, 2012

There were good tea/coffee facilities in the room, there was damp in the corner of the room so the wallpaper was peeling off a bit. There was still toothpaste on the side of the sink which hadn't been cleaned after the last guest. We stayed for one night and had someone tapping the door to clean the room at 9:40 when checkout is 11:00. There was also black around the plughole in the sink. It was good to have an iron and ironing board to use, there was good heating in the room. I found the quality of the furniture quite good but the pillows were to square so quite small. There were no shampoos or soaps in the bathrooms but the tiles and mirror were very clean.there was a good selection of towels. The hotel had an excellent reception/ bar area, well decorates and very friendly staff. The hotel is right opposite the motorpoint arena and is convenient for the while city centre. One word of warning, be careful If using the hotel car park,it can be a bit of a squeeze.

• Stayed: December 2011

Hi Aaron C. Thanks for your review you recently posted. We are always pleased to have constructive feedback and we agree the car park is a bit of a squueze especially if you have a big car. We are though concerned regarding some of the issues you experienced with your room and do not expect our guests to encounter such problems.

My contact details are below please feel free to call me to discuss as we would appreciate the opportunity for some more information

Marisa Morteo (07912564946)

Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel is quite stunning when you enter the reception - certainly not what you would expect for the room rate. The bar area is very trendy and the rooms too are modern and have everything you need.

From this hotel you can walk to the main station within 10 minutes, to the main shopping area within 5 minutes (it is actually next to a very large John Lewis) and you can walk to the Cardiff Bay area where there are nice restaurants and bars (about a mile) within about 20 minutes.

Staff were really friendly and I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PamK45

Hi PamK45, Big thank you for posting your review regarding your recent stay. We are thrilled you found the hotel so modern and trendy and agree you have great access to everything from here!!

Many thanks again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon

Regards