“trendy but can be cliquey”
Review of Cameo Bistro

Cameo Bistro
Ranked #513 of 1,326 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Cameo Club has been a well known private members bar in the Pontcanna area of Cardiff since the 1960’s comprising of bar, bistro and lounge all rolled into one.

Although at night the Club is an exclusive members club the Bistro is available all day for breakfast, lunch, tapas and evening menus.

It is a great place to meet with colleagues, relax with friends over a coffee, or enjoy yourself with a few drinks. The sandwiches are fantastic!

The décor is somewhat dark with black and white framed pictures of famous people who have visited the club but there is an overall tranquil feel about the place.

The staff can ‘blow hot and cold’ and sometimes in the evening the crowd can appear to be a cit cliquey with media and arty crowds, but overall well worth a stop off for a coffee or snack if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

This bistro, bar and club has somewhat of a continental vibe, offering floor to ceiling doors and outdoor seating that compliments the better weather yet an urban stylish theme in our more normal wetter seasons.

I last visited the Cameo club in 2006 when I lived in the area. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the change this time round. By breakfasts, lunches, tasty afternoon teas (waterloo garden tea!) and dinner are on offer. And from reading the bumf in the cameo after 10pm at night it becomes a private bar and you can party untill 2am!

Myself, I had a simple sandwich and a couple of latte's the service was good and friendly. It's definetly a venue I would choose to use again when i next venture into Pontcanna. Free wifi too, which is necessity for any business meet these days.

What most impressed me is that this is an independently owned venue. Because of this you don't feel the restaurant chain vibe of turning the covers and up selling. Just relax, eat some tasty food = good stuff.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a non exclusive members club! What a waste of money. They let anyone in regardless of what time it is. There is supposed to be a cut off time for non members but I have never seen this adhered to. This means the place can get very crowded and uncomfortable. It is a pokey little place anyway. The cocktails are nice when you can find a member of staff who can make them. The food is also ok but the staff are not great with the service.

The owner or manager Huw is rude and doesn't accept any feedback - he argues with you!! Not a good way to treat your customers.

Stay away, there are much better places in the area. Most of the other reviews on here agree with me and I wouldn't be surprised if the owner or his mates are writing the positive ones!

7  Thank Lucky1forever
Reviewed July 1, 2012

i didnt know about this place but went for a few drinks with friends yesterday after we discovered mimosa had closed and had a great night. Cocktails were cheap and good quality. Staff were friendly and the manager gave us table service most of the night, even bringing us extra tables and chairs for our friends who joined us later. I think he made the cocktails too! Be warned tho, I think you need to be a member to enter after 9pm.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Food OK. Drinks pricey. Clientele naff. Service? Mmmm! Surroundings cluttered and a bit scruffy