“If I could rate below one, it will be -5! Stay away from there”
Review of The Cricketers

The Cricketers
Ranked #85 of 1,318 Restaurants in Cardiff
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Set in a classic Victorian Town House, within a well hit 'six' of the county cricket ground, The Cricketers offers a great range of quality Welsh real ales from our sister company, Evan Evans Brewery. Chilled continental lagers, a great wine selection & a large soft drink range. We also offer free Wi-Fi. Our beer garden is the best in Cardiff, with plenty of seating and a real sun trap!
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I dragged my husband to The Cricketers last night after looking at the menu online, I thought it would be a treat for Us... I was wrong!!! Terrible service from the beginning when we ordered a bottle of wine at the bar! Followed by shockingly but true, even worse service when my husband tried to order my duck breast pink and the gentleman quickly replied that the only do it medium well!!! When I enquired for the reasons of such thing, he said that's how we do it or you can have something else! I assumed its either pre cooked, frozen or about to go off, not happy with my answer Mr attitude just said if you want it rare you can have it rare but that's not how it's best!!!!!
I could not believe it! You would think that after 10 years working in the hospitality industry and an undergraduate degree I would know how I like my duck breast cooked and most importantly I expect a place like this to deliver impeccable service and outstanding food! Well the service was just despicable and the food luckily I didn't stay longer to find out! But after that preamble I would not expect much!

Any way we downed our wine as quick as we could and ran up to The Conway instead! What a relief!

TheCricketers66, General Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Angiezam

I am sorry to hear that you did not like our establishment but I am not sorry to read your review as to be honest, after speaking to my duty manager who offended you so, I thought you would pop a review on trip advisor.

What happened on the evening is that your partner asked for your duck breast to be cooked "very rare". He was advised by the manager that we recommend it cooked "medium" as very rare duck can be chewy and un-enjoyable (any Chef I have worked with would agree with this). He returned to inform you and you came straight back to the bar to the manager. What proceeded was a discussion where I have to say little listening was done on your part (I have replayed this back on the CCTV and there are many times where you cut my member of staff off whilst he is talking to you). He told you that you could have it cooked rare but that we RECOMMEND it medium. You then accused the business of not giving the paying customer what they want etc. In the end the manager (I will admit probably growing tired of the conversation now) said that it was completely your choice, your money, that he was just advising you. You then chose not to eat with us that night.

You did not "down your wine" as you say, as you actually stayed with us for over an hour longer as we had a table of 6 waiting to actually try our cooking who could have used your table.

Myself and the manager who served you that evening both have over 15 years each working in the hospitality industry. I regularly have customers report by phone call, email and Trip Advisor as to how friendly and welcoming he and my team are. I pride myself on the success of this new business (2 1/2 years old) and the great feedback that we get from our new and old customers. I have also found in my years in the industry, that one of the best tools to have is to listen to people, whether they be a server or customer.

If you would like to discuss any of the events further please call me on 02920 345 102, email me on manager@cricketerscardiff.co.uk or just call in one day and see me behind the bar.

Many thanks

Reviewed April 30, 2013

we went for a family meal on a quiet monday night. we were greeted by two happy members of staff one of which took us to our seats and made us some drinks as we settled. my daughter didnt fancy anything of the menu (plenty of choice , shes just very picky) but the waitress was happy to arrange with the kitchen a custom meal for her taking elements from other meals. and when the meals came they were wonderful. good size too so much so we only had room to share one dessert between the 4 of us (although i wish we had room for one each). i like to go for meals during the quieter times as im not keen on crowds but often find the dowside to this is to be met by disengaged staff, however this evening the manager and waitress were both happy and chatting with both our party and other customers. Lovely pub atmosphere !!!!!

TheCricketers66, General Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Karen b

Many thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your feedback as were Vicky (Manager that evening) and Hayley (Waitress and trainee Manager!). They are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed yourselves.

Many thanks and see you next visit

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Good atmosphere the beer was good, one thing i didnt like and this wasnt the only place lots of tables reserved but no times we were only drinkink but had to stand it was busy yes but five tables were empty on arrival 2 were still empty when we left

TheCricketers66, General Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Hello KoppyKat

I am glad you enjoyed our beers, they are all brewed from our brewery, Evan Evans in Llandeilo. We do serve a lot of food at The Cricketers and do take some bookings for lunch and dinner. We have reserve signs on the tables that say "This table is reserved from......" and we write a time 15 minutes before the reservation is due. This way, if you are just popping in for a drink, there are often tables that may be reserved later on in the evening, but are fine to sit down on for an hour or even longer. I will agree sometimes people don't read the signs fully and presume they are all reserved, however we are a popular destination and not that big a building and find this system works for us. Many thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a great pub.
We ate at 7.30 on a Saturday and were glad to have booked as it filled up fast. Even though the room is not massive it did not get too loud or too cramped.
The choice of food as extensive (maybe not for vegetarians?) including several options I have not seen before e.g. Pea and smoked cheese croquettes (delicious!).
My partner had a rib-eye steak, as he often does, and it was stunning. Tender, flavoursome and gristle-free.
The ales were brewed locally and were brilliant. We were offered a tasting tray to help us choose.
It was raining when we went but there was a large garden with decent tables so eating outside in summer would be possible and probably lovely.
Lovely evening all round.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were very lucky, we arrived in the pub at about 6pm hungry & wanting food! we'd heard good things about the food and the Cricketers had been recommended to us. The pub was sooooo busy including the beer gardens, we asked if there were any tables and we were told we could have 1 table which had been booked for 7:45pm (so we knew that we'd need to vacate by this time, which wasn't a problem for us). We ordered the ribeye steak and the burger - lovely! The ribeye steak just melted in the mouth, my husband said it's the best steak he'd ever had, and didn't want it to end!
Presentation and service was great. The choice of food was great. However the sweet menu didn't have a great deal of choice, and I think if I went again I would probably have a starter and a main rather than a sweet.
Real ale was good too, lovely choice.
Staff were very friendly and we had service with a smile.
We were all sorted, 2 course meal, 2 drinks and paid up by 7:45 - however, we didn't feel pressured by the staff to leave.
You can tell how good a pub is by how busy it is, and that pub was busy whatever time we passed it during our weekend in Cardiff.
Highly recommended.