The hotel is in an excellent location in a quiet spot on the edge of an old dock in a residential area about a ten-minute walk to Cardiff Bay with all the entertainment and restaurants available there. Plenty of free parking. Some rooms overlook the dock and others the car park. It’s about a 15 minutes walk to the City centre. There are frequent buses to and from the city to the Bay (No 6). Return ticket £1.70, Day ticket costs £3.
The hotel is fresh and clean with a welcoming reception and bar area. Staff were friendly. Rooms are compact and ok for couples but a bit cramped with more. We had a double bed which was fine and we also had a small double sofa bed, which was just ok for our 16 yr old son, but I wouldn’t want to try and sleep 2 children much over 5 years old on it. It was also quite soft and not very comfy. But – Holiday Inn is one of the few hotels that let an older child share a room.
The room was clean with a flat screen TV and hair dryer. Not much storage/hanging space. Bathroom had a nice and fairly powerful shower. Towels were fluffy and clean.
Continental breakfast is included. Cereals, pastries, toast and jam, yoghurt, fruit etc. Unlimited orange juice and coffee. Free local and the Independent newspaper. Very civilised at breakfast, helpful staff and overlooking the old dock.
There is a bar but no restaurant although you can order take away food. There is a pub next door, which serves food (The Wharf). Lots of restaurants in the Bay.
We paid in advance - £70 for the first two nights and for some reason it went up to £79 for the Tuesday night! Good value. Booked two weeks in advance on Holiday Inn website. Noticed price had gone up if you booked nearer the stay. Was half term week so hotel pretty full.
Altogether we got what we paid for and what we expected. It was clean and functional and in a good location for visiting the sites of Cardiff. Would use it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront area of the old East Dock in Cardiff Bay is the prime position of the Express by Holiday Inn. Only 15 minutes walking distance from the centre of Cardiff makes a great place to stay, and to view the magnificent local shops and picturesque Arcades.Walking distance to Mermaid Quay and Millennium Centre. It is also situated in the heart of Cardiff's exciting Bay Development. With places of interest including Cardiff Castle, the home of the Welsh Assembly, the Millennium Stadium, The Millennium Centre, Techniquest the Children's Science Museum and the Museum of Welsh Life at St.Fagans, the Express by Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay is your one and only choice for accommodation in Cardiff. The Express by Holiday Inn is located just off M4 Motorway, which makes access very easy, and brings you around the city centre, showing you attractions like you have never seen before. There is ample onsite parking, which is charged at £6 per 24 hours. For your peace of mind, our car park is monitored 24 hours a day by CCTV.Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Hotel Cardiff
- Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Wales