“Overnight Stay”

Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Holt, United Kingdom
“Overnight Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at The Holiday Inn Express overnight,we had requested a room with a view of the Bay and this is exactly what we got.
On arrival we were greeting very warmly with smiley staff,booked in very quickly and then given a map of the area with advice as we had asked where we could eat out that evening within walking distance.
Our room was lovely,clean modern,view of the bay,nice large tv and excellent power shower.Mega comfy beds giving you a fab snuggly sleep.Linen and towels great,tea coffee making facilities and when I asked for more milk nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast is help yourself and quite sufficient.This hotel does what it says on the booking website,I would recommend this to anyone,we walked toCardiff Bay which took 10mins and were amazed at the choice of restaurants and bars,English,French,Spanish,Italian,Turkish,Indian,Chinese and many more.Great setting,great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the bay.
1 Thank snooks5970
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear snooks5970

Thank for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel. Team here will be thrilled to read your comments - I know that they value the feedback which we receive from all of our guests.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Karen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here one night at the weekend to visit family. The hotel is not exactly on the bay strictly speaking but is well located for the city centre and the bay. The hotel is clean and modern We didnt have a room overlooking the water unfortunately but a view of the carpark which was ok as we werent there for the views. The breakfast is included and was adequate hot and cold offered with plenty of choices we thought in a pleasant room overlooking the canal.
The only problem we had was with the bathroom which was a wet room and unfortunately when the shower was usd the water didnt drain away but pooled all over the floor to a depth of a couple of inches and just would not flow away presumably because the floor is sloping the wrong way for the water to just drain as it should slope down to the drain and not the other way. We had to use towels to mop up and try to swoosh the water towards the drain. The floor was still wet in the morning when we had to use it again! Its obviously a design fault and not a major thing but when we were checking out and mentioned it to the chap at reception his attitude was horrendous! He talked over us and kept on saying the same thing over and over that they had a maintenance team and it would have been fixed if it had been reported before etc etc We were not complaining about this per say but merely mentioning it as it needs to be addressed His attitude was astounding it was as though this was a personal attack on him and the hotel and it really wasnt! He did not charge us for the parking which is £5 but we were not after any refunds or anything We had paid in advance ! It was a shame as we have family in Cardiff and this hotel is ideally priced and positioned and is well worth staying at in the future. It has not put us off staying there again but it did spoil what was a good stay in a nice hotel. Maybe he was having a bad morning?

Dear Lynne T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the way that your comments were handled during your stay. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention and would like to ask you to contact me direct - karen.matthews@exhicardiff.co.uk, so that I can investigate this further.

I am really pleased to read that apart from this, you enjoyed your stay and this has not deterred you from staying with us again and very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip as handy for Cardiff Bay and seeing the customer. Karen Matthews the GM and her staff are very well drilled in terms of checking in, out, servicing, helping etc. When asked about where to eat we got recommendations, a map to get there and a reservation made. Hotel is basic but has everything you need but you will pay extra for everything from parking (£5/night) to Wifi (£7/day) which pushes price up. Rooms are also basic and a bit tired and only toiletories are screwed to the wall but again its functional. Lift is very slow and creaking! No evening meals (but only 10 mins to Cardiff Bay restuarants) only breakfast which includes 3 hot buffet options including space age powdered scambled eggs - yummy not. Tip the Wharf Pub next door has free Wifi! Without the great staff this would have scored AVERAGE!

Room Tip: Get a view of the Bute East Dock/Atlantic Dock - not much to see but better to look at than the carp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear DoctorFeelgoodDorset

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted to read that hat we have exceeded your expectations with regards to customer service. This is something on which I pride the whole team - and will certainly make sure that your comments are shared with them.

You will be pleased to know that we are in the process of painting our bedrooms and public areas and I value your feedback on this. As a brand, we launched our Free Breakfast in August 2011, which also included hot favourites - although I'm sorry to read that the scrambled egg was not to your liking.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you planning a trip to Cardiff.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here for the recent Scotland v Wales game. Staff were very friendly, rooms perfectly fine for what we needed and it was only a short walk into the city centre. Only criticism is that the shower was quite low (for a 6ft 3" person) which can be quite annoying, no big deal though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear RossMcA

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us.

I do value all feedback - both positive and negative, so that we can continue to improve the service which we offer our guests. Thank you for your comments with regards to the shower - I will certainly keep these on file for consideration the next time we are due to have a major refurbishment.

I was pleased to read your comments with regards to the room, staff and of course our great location in relation to the city centre.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are planning a visit to Cardiff.

Anglesey, North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

This is the first time my wife and I have been to Cardiff sight seeing and we booked this hotel using reward points.
We have stayed in HIX hotels in other parts of the UK so had a good idea what to expect.
The location is excellent. 20 mins walk to the city centre and 10 mins to the bay area. The whole place is very clean and quiet and as expected is fairly standard for this type of hotel.
The staff are some of the most helpful, friendly hotel staff I've ever come across. From giving you pointers on the local area to getting the lift for you when you have your hands full of coffee. Nothing is too much trouble. Special mention must go to Barry. This guy is excellent and knows his job well. He made check in and the first half of the stay very pleasurable.
The rooms are very clean and a decent size for a few days but this is the only area where there could be improvement. The beds and bedding isn't particularly comfortable, one of the lights in the room didn't work too well and the shower curtain needs to be longer as water drips on the bathroom floor when you are showering.
These are minor blips though in an otherwise excellent hotel. This is the only reason the place didn't get 5 stars. The breakfast is also standard fare. Nothing mind blowing but more than adequate.
We like Cardiff and will return. I would have no qualms about staying here again, but they could really do with tightening up the maintenance a little.
A very, very good hotel overall which we enjoyed.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Lugg2004

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I also want to take this opportunity to say thank you for choosing to spend your Priority Club Rewards points with us here at Cardiff Bay.

I was really pleased to read your comments with regards to the team and in particular Barry - and will ensure that these are shared with everyone.

With regards to the maintenance issues which you encountered during your stay, you will be pleased to know that we are currently looking at a programme which will include replacing our shower curtains and will certainly take your comments into consideration.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave such a lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting Cardiff.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We wanted a 2 night break in Cardiff and came across this hotel at a good price £55 per night for 2 inc breakfast and after staying at other Holiday Inns for a lot more than this and being very good, thought that's a bargain.
Hotel is located approx 15-20min walk to the city centre but the Cardiff Bay train station is only approx 5-10mins and quite cheap. It is in a quiet location with not much around but the Bay was only 10mins walk away.
The staff were pleasant and the hotel was in OK condition. We were checked in earlier than allowed as they had a room free and was overlooking the water, not the best of views but was OK.
The room was not in the best of conditions, window was letting in cold air and had seen better days as the seal on it had broken but I managed to temporally fix it. It also looked a bit dated.
Bed was uncomfortable and not the best. Heating system did not really heat.
Breakfast was OK but how can you have a buffet breakfast that should include bacon, hash browns, mushrooms, fried eggs etc. as all the other Holiday Inns I have stayed at but have none of these and just have cereals, sausages, beans, scrambled egg and toast. Don't get me wrong it was nice and well cooked but when I stay somewhere I expect to have bacon at the very least, but maybe that's just me!
Overall its an OK hotel for a few nights but not any more.
I think if I went to Cardiff again I would have to look at a different hotel.

1 Thank Lrboylin
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Lrboylin

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

Firstly, I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and found the team here to be pleasant.

With regards to the issues which you encountered in the room, if possible, can you contact me direct on 029 20449000 to let me know which room you were staying in, so that I can investigate this further for you - and of course to make sure that future guests are not inconvenienced in the same way.

Holiday Inn Express as a brand launched our Free Breakfast in August 2011 - which is a continental breakfast with added hot favourites - Scrambled Eggs, Baked Beans and Sausages.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay when you are planning your next visit to Cardiff.

hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights whilst visiting my family! Have stayed in many holiday inn's and this is one of the more run down of the group. I believe it is franchised and is not up to the standard of the others! Beds are small and uncomfortable, radiator gets very hot and burnt my friends leg web getting out of bed. Car park barrier is hard to use as the code plate is too close to the barrier.

The staff seem nice, the hotel is in an ideal location for the centre of Cardiff. The value for money was good as not too expensive to stay here.

As I said an average hotel but don't expect the usually Holiday Inn standards or you will be disappointed. Expect budget and you will be fine.

• Stayed October 2012
Karen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear travelb553

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do value all feedback whether these are positive or negative comments as this allows us to improve the service which we offer to guests.

I am concerned to read about your friends incident with the radiator in the bedroom and would appreciate if you could call me direct on 029 20449000 to let me know which room you stayed in so that I can investigate this further.

I am pleased to hear that you found the staff nice and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting family in the area.