“Centrally located budget hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Melbourne
“Centrally located budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

The standout feature of this hotel was the excellent service, beginning with the young woman who saw me struggling with my case and helped me carry it up the stairs, to the lovely and helpful young woman on reception, to the friendly people who served breakfast. My room was a little shabby but it was clean, the bed comfortable, and sufficiently heated. The bathroom was large and contained a bath, which I was very grateful for. The location is fantastic, a short walk to Cardiff Castle or Millennium Stadium. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and many shops too. The bus and train terminals are also a very short walk away.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Simon6567, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you so much for your review.
It was a real pleasure for us to meet you. I am very glad that you have enjoyed the service which as you say is our best feature. It really matters to all of us that guests enjoy their stay.
We do not have the massive advertising budgets that the chain hotels enjoy so I am very grateful to you for taking the time to write this review as it should help immensely.
Hopefully we will get to welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed at this hotel during the bank holiday. When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist and made to feel very welcome. The receptionist explained everything to me and also offered me to upgrade to breakfast as I had opted out of it. She also explained to me what was happening in the hotel that evening (entertainment etc) The Room was lovely to me it was like a home away from home - had all the basics you could want (well for me it did anyway) the room was clean and tidy and was a great place for me to rest my head at the end of the night. This hotel is central to Cardiff and I would stay here again, I would also recommend this hotel to family and friends as the rooms are priced superbly and the staff are friendly. Big thumbs up to the Sandringham Hotel :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your smashing review.
I am really pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay and it was lovely to meet you.
Anne-Marie (receptionist) has asked me to pass her thanks on to you for your kind words.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Stay at this hotel very good location . Rooms were average. Toilet seat was wobbly but the staff were excellent with excellent service. Only down fall was the noise from the disco we had a room around the back but it still kept us awake As it went on till 2 am breakfast was excellent

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and for visiting us recently.
It was a pleasure to meet you and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
I will get the maintenance issues sorted. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed for one night on a quick trip to Cardiff. Location is VERY central, with easy access to transport, restaurants, shopping. Staff was very friendly and helpful - even arranging breakfast for us at 4:45 AM to accommodate our early departure! Our room was very clean and our bed was comfy. Had a great sleep. The building is indeed old and a bit shabby, but that's why it's so cheap! If you want shiny new chairs and this season's carpet colour, go somewhere else. If you want a clean, friendly place in central Cardiff, stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
It is very kind of you to take the time to write your comments.
It was a pleasure for us to meet you and I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our homely atmosphere.
Hopefully we will welcome you again.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

stayed for 2 night, hotel in a great location in city centre and 5 minutes walk for central station. had a good night sleep, good breakfast, friendly and very helpful staff. one down side the hotel was very dated and décor shabby the carpet in the bedroom was very wore and needs to be replaced.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review and for choosing to stay at the Sandringham.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
I note your point about the carpet. I am changing them as finances permit and have done some recently.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Once again thank you.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great venue for visiting City Centre of Cardiff. Come by train. Walk about the city and visit the sights. Clean Hotel with great breakfast. Would recommend for shopping trips. Theatre visits. Rugby game visits. Just chilling in Cardiff.

Room Tip: All rooms are good for enjoying the City life, at night in particular
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thanks John for your lovely review.
I am glad that you and your colleagues have enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry that I missed you on this occasion but hopefully we will see you again
in the near future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Our first and last night at the Sandringham! Never again! OK, good central location but that is the only positive thing we can find to say. The bed was hard and uncomfortable, the decor shabby and dated, the room small with burn marks on the carpet and the bathroom had a broken toilet seat. Studded walls meant we could follow the many drunken conversations (and other nocturnal activities) in adjoining rooms and the noise from the street was deafening (discos, brawling etc.) until 4.30am. Then the seagulls and dustcarts arrived. We got no sleep at all. Cannot comment on the breakfast - we were so desperate to get out of there that we left at 7.30am. They advertise car parking at 9GBP per day but we were charged 18.75GBP from 5.00pm to 7.30am, so be warned.
We have stayed in many central Cardiff hotels and this is beyond doubt the worst in its class. Not worth the money - a truly horrible experience!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank judsandcliff
SimonSandringham, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I am very sorry to read your review.
I am also disappointed that you did not feel comfortable enough to talk to us.
I will investigate your comments to try to improve the experience for future guests.
Car parking is £9 for 24 hours but you need to buy a validated ticket from reception so that the NCP know you are staying with us. I may still be able to get you a refund on the parking and I would like the opportunity to talk with you about your stay.
If this is of interest to you then please e-mail me on sandringhamsales@gmail.com