“Great little hotel”

Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
New Milton, England, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Arrived 05-04-2013 for 2 nights twin room with tea/coffee tray, dressing table etc, there were a few cracks in the tiles in the bathroom and the toilet seat was slightly lose, but for a 2* hotel it was ok for what we needed, two girls in cardiff enjoying a birthday weekend away. beds were nice and comfy and pillows nice and firm, plenty of hot water.
A big thank you to the reception staff who couldn't do enough for us, and a really big thank you to annemarie for her hospitality nothing was ever to much trouble for her, always smiling and showing us that even at a 2* hotel there are brilliant staff who made our weekend very enjoyable, we will be returning again in summer and hope to see her there too, keep up the good work.
if you want a nice family run hotel with great staff and a warm welcome choose here, you wont be disapointed, we really enjoyed our stay.

Miss Dean and Mrs Gates.

Room Tip: 106 was a nice twin room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and our customer service.
I realise that I am biased but I agree Anne-Marie's hospitality is excellent.
She recently won a prize as best receptionist in the Cardiff Hoteliers Awards.
She said it was a pleasure to meet you both and again sends her best wishes to the birthday girl.
Hopefully as you say we will welcome you again in the near future.
I am very grateful to you for taking the time to write this positive review.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
medway
Reviewed April 8, 2013

No lift a problem as at last minute we had someone with us with a broken ankle.Our problem as we knew though.Receptionist pleasant and no problem with booking in.Room on first floor comfortable and clean.No dining area or bar open evenings in hotel but concession with jazz club next door.Breakfast was cereal (wide choice)4 juices,full cooked breakfast ect.excellant.Due to very cold weather we felt the room was a bit cold.Restuarant next door had excellent choice of food and ate there three nights.All occasions excellent and with 20 per cent discount was very reasonable.Pity we went to cardiff harvester first night as food and service was deplorable and a lot dearer that the restuarant.Overall it was a good stay in what is a cheap cost hotel which caters for a lot of travelling builders etc but at the same time still manages to make you feel you are in a lot dearer hotel.

Room Tip: first floor or more stairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and lovely review.
It was a pleasure to welcome the four of you.
Well done to the person on crutches as I realise it must have been quite difficult negotiating the stairs.
Our dining area and bar is Cafejazz, located on the ground floor. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves on three separate evenings especially with the residents 20% discount that we offer.
I am very sorry that you felt the room was cold. As you say it has been really cold in Cardiff recently.
However if we are lucky enough to see you again then please ask reception for an extra heater if needs be as I have some spares for such occasions.
Thanks again
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited the Sandringham hotel on in March 2013 as we had tickets for the Six Nations match at the Millennium Stadium. The Sandringham is a family-owned hotel situated very centrally on St Mary’s Street, one of the main streets of Cardiff and a five-minute walk from the stadium. No parking, but they have a concession with the NCP in Westgate Street round the corner where you pay £9 for 24 hours instead of £18.

There was plenty to like about the hotel – it’s central, the staff are all very friendly and happy to help, they take pride in sorting out problems promptly and there was always plenty of laughter and banter at the desk. The Sandringham’s rooms are spotlessly clean and breakfast was freshly-cooked and plenty of choice with the waitress very accommodating with differing dietary requirements.

A few points to make – décor in our room was very tired, with marked carpet, dodgy loo flush and door handle, as well as an ancient hairdryer and the quality of the furnishings overall was less than I would have expected – thin pillows, poor bed linens. Prices were also vastly inflated for the Six Nations match – we paid for a minimum two-night stay at the weekend and the night of the match was £130 and the following night was £45 – I expect people to make their money on popular days, but I thought this was a little excessive.

It’s also worth bearing in mind – and I emphasise this is no fault of the hotel – but there is a nightclub/large pub a couple of doors down, which on Saturday night doesn't stop playing banging music until 2am, so if you are in Cardiff at the weekend when it gets very busy and crowded, take some earplugs if you want a good nights sleep!

Overall, a satisfactory hotel for a one-night stay in Cardiff.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor might take you away from street noise/music
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and review.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and our customer service.
It was really nice to meet you both.
I am sorry that you had a problem with the door handle. We did fix this when mentioned. I haven't found anything wrong with the toilet flush though. The hairdryer is the latest model of a hotel range that we buy from but I note your point and will consider this when buying replacements.
We do provide extra pillows in every room but I will check as I agree that they should not be thin.
The bed linen is professionally supplied and cleaned so I am not sure why you felt they were poor.
We have rooms which are located at the back of the hotel which can be requested if available and are much quieter.
I can promise that our rates were not inflated. Our room rate like all hotels is much higher on any Saturday than it is on a Sunday. The two night price of £175 was cheaper than one night with our local competitors.
I hope you will consider returning and I thank you for your comments as I realise that we can only improve as we constantly try to, when listening to our guests.
moonrakerproud
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We booked a quick getaway to Cardiff last minute,and travelled from Bath to Cardiff by train.We arrived at tea time,and found the hotel very easily!Check in was quick and efficient,and we chose to stay on the 4th floor.We knew before we arrived there was no lift,so not a problem to us at all.The receptionist gave us a card which entitles you to a discount and free entry into the Jazz Club which is next door and I think owned by the hotel?The room was clean and fresh.Had all the furniture you need to be comfortable,including a desk with chair,which was very handy as we brought our laptop(free wi fi).The bathroom was large with a lovely big window so nice and bright.Shower over bath,and plenty of hot water.Toiletries were available,as was tea and coffee making facilities.Bed,nice and comfy and clean.We did'nt know what to expect at Breakfast,but we were not disappointed!We chose the cooked breakfast and it was delicious!I'm abit fussy when it comes to eggs and the chef cooked mine perfectly!Apart from cooked,you can also choose fresh fruit salad,yoghurts,cereals,toast with preserves and so on.A good range of juice also available and tea coffee and herbal teas(great range too!)The service at breakfast from staff was second to none!We did not feel like guest,we felt like part of their family!Nice and chatty and helpful!They really ensured we were well looked after!Even the cleaners are great!They do a fantastic job,hotel looked clean and fresh,and they were also friendly!We stayed two nights (thurs and Fri)and on both nights visited next door at the Jazz Club.As a resident of the hotel you get free entry and 20% discount on food and drinks!How nice is that?We had two brilliant nights of entertainment(Jazz the first night,and a great blues band the second night).The hotel is ideally situated a short walk from night life and all the shops!We totally love Cardiff and we definately will return!We know we will stay at the Sandringham Hotel again!So to sum up?Amazing staff,great food,superb hotel in a very convenient location!The price we paid for the rooms was also fab!

Room Tip: We chose a 4th floor room mainly because we figured the higher up you are,the less you'll be aff...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you very very much for your visit and wonderful review.
It seems that you have enjoyed every single area of the hotel which is really rewarding to us.
I honestly can't thank you enough for your kind words.
I have printed your review and put it for all staff to read as I realise how important it is to relay such positive comments.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here this weekend with my friend for my 18th birthday and I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant stay. The room was lovely and the staff were so nice! The receptionist was sure to make conversation with us every time we passed which was greatly appreciated. They all wished me a happy birthday and made me feel very welcome. We ordered room service in the evening which was good value for money and arrived very quickly, and not to mention tasted great! The hotel is located right on the high street and has everything you need within a few minutes walk. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cardiff, and would most definitely stay again. Hopefully some time in the near future!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abi_95
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you both on such a special day.
All of the staff that met you were commenting on how nice you both were and were glad to hear that you enjoyed the One Direction concert as well.
Hopefully as you say we will welcome you again in the near future.
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

we havent stayed here yet but have booked a hen night for 13 we had encounted problems somewhere else and the manager simon sorted everything out he was fantastic we are so looking forword to our stay in the sandringham hotel in july can not fault this hotel for its customer service and looking forward to writing a fantastic reveiw to add to all the other reveiws we have read

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Wow thank you Melanie for your very kind words.
I don't think I've had a pre-stay review before. I feel nervous now as if I am going on a first date and don't want to mess anything up :-)).
As you have read we are nice bunch of people genuinely hoping that you and your party have a lovely time. I look forward to welcoming you all in July.
It was a pleasure to assist with your booking.
West Wales
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stay in Cardiff Hotels about 40/50 nights a year and although I've seen The Sandringham Hotel, in its superbly handy central location (central for everything that's worth doing or seeing in Cardiff) but have never stayed there because there are a couple of flights of stairs up to reception, and I'm the wrong side of sixty and tend to avoid stairs when possible.

I had a room booked at The Angel for five days from the Sunday but there were none available for the Saturday night (Feb 16th) so I thought I would chance my ticker and give The Sandringham a whirl.

Wow guy's, you don't get the Ritz or The Savoy but hey, you get personalised friendly service by the bucketful and more. I really mean friendly, helpful staff, who believe it or not, make eye contact with you and listen to what your saying. Even the restaurant staff at breakfast (I was first in) are a delight, like a burst of citrus you get as you peel a young fruit, you know when you think, that's bloody nice, that's very nice, I'm going to like this.

The breakfast was an example of what breakfast used to be like before "the chain hotels" seemed to send staff on courses on how to ruin a breakfast, know what I mean? Fried eggs like a rubber Frisbee, if your very lucky, or rock hard like the joke confections you buy from the fun fair rock stall down Barry Island.

But "what's occurring" (sorry couldn't resist after mentioning Barry) here at The Sandringham is inspirational in its simplicity, a proper breakfast, cooked by very nice people, served by nice, bubbly, exceptionally attentive people, tea that would bring a smile of satisfaction and a feeling of euphoria to the most discerning of chimpanzee piano relocation experts.

Not much to ask is it? But very hard to find anywhere in this day and age.

Wish I was a little younger, or I could be assured a room close to reception, because I would be back again and again.

Thank you all, thank you very much, oh and thank you Cerys the landlady at The Old Arcade who said I should try it, "because the staff are lovely" thanks Cerys, tidy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tap4scott
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you Sir for your excellent review.
It gave me great pleasure to read it and is fantastically written.
All in my team like to communicate with customers so it is lovely to hear that this is appreciated.
Breakfast is one of our big selling points so again I am glad that this has impressed you.
We would love to welcome you again and if you contact us direct on 029 20232161 we will ensure you a room on the same floor as reception if available.
As a local family hotel we do our best to get to know businesses in our area so I am glad that the beautiful Cerys of The Old Arcade has recommended us.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write on this website. Hopefully we will see you again soon.