“Perfect”

Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Really enjoyed this little hotel. It was very conveniently located on a main pedestrian street in 'down-town' Cardiff. Staff were very nice. The beds were comfortable, good shower, quality towels, flat screen TV, It is located close to the castle, the train station, a number of pubs and cafes. Lot's of very good shopping nearby. I recommend this hotel if you are on a some-what tight budget. Overall a very good place. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you Sir for your excellent review. It was a pleasure to meet with you both.
I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at The Sandringham and your visit to Cardiff.
I do hope we will welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Anglesey
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Food excellent and staff helpful and friendly. Bedrooms spotlessly clean with very comfortable beds. Good size bath. Rooms a little on the shabby side.

Hotel not suitable for people unable to climb stairs. There is no lift and even the reception is reached by climbing a flight of stairs. Then more to the bedrooms. I could only give it an average mark because of this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for your visit and excellent review. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay.
We sadly do not have an elevator as you say. We will however help with luggage if required and arrange rooms for guests on a lower floor if requested.
Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.
Kind regrds, Simon
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2011

The hotel itself seems a little odd on first sight and as you enter the reception, however do not let this put you off.
The room was spacious and well stocked, and the bathroom was clean and large. Staff were friendly and professional and the food was fab along with a good variety all included in the price which was cheapest in cardiff yet right on st mary's st. Perfect for couples or groups on a night out, especially for St David's Hall just around the corner, which was the reason we were there for. Only two downsides, the steep stairs and lack of lift make it near impossible for those with mobility or disabled needs. And two the location can be noisy and would probably bother families with young children but did quiet down pretty quick after 12ish.
The discount at Cafe Jazz downstairs was a bonus.
All in all really happy with the place

P.S. left my iPhone headphones there and they have posted them back to me free of charge

Room Tip: At the back of the would be off the busy main St Mary's st and also away from busy side street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to meet you both.
I am so pleased to read that you found the staff and food first class especially with the 20% discount we offer on food and drink.
I agree that it is sad that we do not have a lift. Unfortunately we have explored all options but have been refused due to there being no suitable area for it and also with the hotel being a listed building. We will assist with luggage if required.
Thank you also for stating that we are excellently located. Of course great city centre locations come with a little noise. We will as you say accommodate guests in rooms off the main street if requested and available.
I am glad that you appreciated the price. I can't always guarantee such a good rate but I promise that I take the time to check the rates on offer in Cardiff to remain extremely competitive.
You are very welcome for the return of your headphones at no cost to yourself. I promise that I stayed in two chain hotels recently and left something each time. Both hotels charged me a £7.95 standard delivery charge. I do not believe in charging guests for returning the property if the postage charge is small.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your comments on this website. It helps enormously.
I hope to welcome you again soon.
Thornbury
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Spent a Friday night at this hotel. Situated right in the middle of Cardiff. It is cheap, clean accommodation, which was fine for two guys in Cardiff for a night out. The staff were friendly, and although I did not have the breakfast, others that did said it was fine. We were not troubled by any city centre noise, and the facilities were adequate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you Sir for your kind review. I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

After booking myself into the Sandringham as it was the cheapest in Cardiff I have to admit I was a little worried as to what awaited me post check in. I should not have worried. The staff we welcoming and check-in was friendly and efficient. Breakfast was lovely, yet served by nice yet eccentric staff. The major downside - as I believe someone has previously mentioned is the noise - I found it difficult to sleep on both nights, but what do you expect for a hotel in a city centre which is above a jazz bar in a busy city centre and lacks double glazing. Despite this I had an enjoyable stay and would return at the lower rate paid purely due to the location and friendliness of staff.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Lisa H
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Thanks Lisa for your very kind review.
I am glad you have enjoyed our first class service.
We do have some rooms that face the main street which can be noisier than the rooms located at the back. We have secondary glazing in all rooms. I promise that we will accommodate guests at the back of the hotel if requested and available.
Finally I do hope that we will see you again in the future as you have indicated. I can't say that we will always have such a low price but I do monitor other hotel prices and so our price will always remain very competitive.
Thanks again,
plymouth
Reviewed September 7, 2011

myself and my husband have just come back after staying at the sandringham hotel for only 2 nights this being are second visit which we very much hope to go back there again before the year is out.the hotel is very well situated for all ammenties.the staff and people there are all very wellcoming ,the breakfast is 10out of 10. rooms are just basic but clean,the price is good for what you get.which is execellant.as a bonus your car parking charge is reduced by half.well done all at the sandringham.do use this hotel and you wont be disapointed. dave and jean plymouth.

Room Tip: grate location
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 19451946
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Thanks both very much for your lovely review. I do hope we will see you again this year and if so Alison has offered her services to help with the Christmas shopping :-).
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at the Sandringham during the last week of August. The owners were hospitable and nice, everything I wanted was taken care of. In addition, I was delayed getting back to America because of Hurricane Irene. Nonetheless, the staff allowed me to stay an additional night at the same price rather than charging me higher which I know they full well could have done as it was in their own right. There is no elevator, true, but I would hope one would look this up before they booked. No hotel is perfect, but you also have to realize that this hotel is in an historic building so an elevator would kind of take away from that appeal as well. The location was fantastic, and could not be beat really. There is no fitness center, but they do have a deal with one that is close by. The price was very reasonable. I would recommend it, and I certainly would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank NewYorker27
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you Sir so much for your kind words. It was an absolute pleasure to meet with you.
We are so glad that you have arrived home safely
The girls on reception all wanted to go with you to visit your fantastic City but that would have just left me to cover them so Sunny Cardiff they stay.
I do hope we will welcome you again in the future.
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you for leaving a positive review on TripAdvisor. Not only is it nice to hear that we are doing things right but also that the review helps a small family run business like mine immensely in challenging the huge marketing power of the chain hotels.