“Surprisingly spacious and quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dexby Town House

Dexby Town House
Ranked #5 of 46 Cardiff B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly spacious and quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed at Dexbys for 2 nights for a family wedding. First impressions were excellent; a friendly welcome from the manager and very large and well decorated rooms. The bathroom was large and spotless. The room likewise was very large with two comfortable armchairs and a table where we could drink our complimentary tea. Breakfast was excellent and there was a great choice. Overall the hotel is great value and the manager couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. We all felt very much at home and would definitely stay again. Cathedral Road is very well located closed to the beautiful Bute Park and although our room faced the road, even on a Friday night it was very quiet and we enjoyed a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: We had a double on the first floor which was light and airy and quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Slough, Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

On first glance our room was really lovely though on closer inspection such as grease marks on the walls and a toilet my wife had to clean before use the Dexby was really nice. Delicious breakfast made up for this and so did the knowledgeable concierge.

The guesthouse really needs a bit of TLC to bring it back to purpose.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elias K
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay at Dexby TH. Having travelled through the night I was greeted by the lovely Susana who let me check in early which meant I could have a much needed shower!

The ground floor room(room 1) was lovely and warm. Very clean & pleasant. Toiletries & towels were laid out for me. The bed was incredibly comfortable! The only disappointment I had was I couldnt get the wifi on my phone but it wasnt a major concern!

Unfortunately I never made breakfast but I hope to sample it on my next stay.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul C
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

If only a bit more attention to detail here, then I would rate it 5 stars.

The lady who manages the hotel was friendly and personable and very eager to please. Couldn't fault the welcome.

The B&B does need some finishing touches. Our room (No 1) had lagging at the top of the en-suite which you could see, it was a bit unsightly, and this could have easily been remedied. The door lock had been wedged with what seemed like a beer coaster...that just doesn't look good! The large mirror was positioned behind the bed, so impossible to use this for make up etc, or drying hair. Free wifi is a bonus.

The entrance looked as if it could to with a good hoover, as could the stairs leading to the breakfast room.

The breakfast was cooked to order and was very tasty, and again, cooked and also served by the very friendly manager. One hard working lady.

We would definitely stay again, as it did offer good value for money, and the hotel is in a good location on Cathedral Road.

Room Tip: room 1 on ground floor, but minimal noise from road
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

The location was very close to the centre. 10 minute walk. The room was comfortable except for noisy upstairs neighbours and people coming in and out.. but overall I enjoyed the stay. The room was clean and the breakfast was good. The bus stop is not far from b&b and the parks are very close which are superb!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times now and everytime I have it has been a great pleasure. The first time was in January 2013 when myself and my partner stayed, we had a room on the top floor with a large bathroom and shower and a wonderful double bed with lovely chairs. The stay was very welcoming by Susannah and we felt really at home here.
The second stay was in November 2013 for my birthday, I was eating at the Purple Poppadom and staying with my friend so we had a double kingsize on the ground floor. My friend had contacted the hotel without myself knowing and had requested a bottle of wine to celebrate and we were provided with a nice bottle of Tesco finest Chablis as a gift, a very nice thought. The bed was extremely comfortable and the décor very nice
The third time staying here was a the end of November 2013 with my 4 year old daughter, I called the hotel rather than booking online and instead of paying for 2 guests, they only charged for the one guest and gave us a very lovely room at the back of the house, the bed was soft, comfy and very cosy. My daughter and myself had a great evening out in winterwonderland to come home to a warm and cosy room, nice hot shower and settled down with a cup of tea and the tv.
I have always been satisfied with the stays, James the owner always tried to meet and greet on arrival, asks if you need any recommendations to eat anywhere and is always very nice.
The breakfasts are great with a good selection of cereals, fruits, crossants and toast. Tea and coffee is lovely too.

I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone who wishes to stay close to the city centre. It is somewhere that I will stay when visiting Cardiff myself and a great price to

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was a great little guest house, Ideal for the cricket ground, the park, the river walk and within a reasonable walk of the city centre. The room was decorated to a very high standard and quite traditional. The bathroom was especially good.

Nice continental breakfast a full breakfast was available for those who wanted one. Staff were very good and keen to make sure I enjoyed my stay.

Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business