“Just have to go back there!”

St Fagans National Museum of History
Ranked #1 of 168 things to do in Cardiff
More attraction details
Owner description: A large, living open-air museum chronicling the last 500 years of Welsh history: fun, interactive exhibits make this a popular family destination.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We only had a few hours to spare and so were unable to do it justice - however what we managed to see brought home to us just how interesting and valuable a place like this really is. To have the opportunity to wander through some of these buildings is fantastic, and although they may no longer be in their original settings they seem to have brought some of their memories with them. St Teilo's is wonderful - definitely do not miss this one! The Gwalia Stores is also a (not so) little gem - and my top tip is to take a walk upstairs to the tearooms. The welcome here is beyond doubt one of the best that I have received in a long time and one that I shall have the pleasure of repeating in the not too distant future when we return to continue our exploration of this lovely place.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,920)
All reviews
in 63 reviews
"whole family"
in 88 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This place is amazing. Probably my favorite UK attraction! (And I have been to numerous stately homes and museums).
The cottages are beautifully rebuilt, and the grounds very well kept.
The castle is also worth a good look inside.

A brilliant day out. We spend five hours there and still didn't manage to see it all!
And it's FREE... (3.50 for parking).

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My mother, brother and I visited on 15Oct12. It was raining on and off but, thankfully, there are lots of buildings to shelter in!

My cousin recommended this to me and I'll be taking her out to dinner to thank her. We spent most of the afternoon walking around the different buildings and talking to the helpful staff, who are often sitting in dark corners of the older buildings with a nice fire going.

The gardens and ponds behind the castle were the standout for my family and me - absolutely stunning.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a wonderful way to appreciate the way Welsh folk live throughout the ages. A true interactive experience where you can walk in every house from every era. Inside each house is a person who can tell you tales of the house and interesting facts of that era. Also this museum continue to save old Welsh buildings and re-locate them here.