“Tosca in Cardiff”

Add it.
Welsh National Opera
Ranked #81 of 159 things to do in Cardiff
More attraction details
Owner description: Stately home of the world-famous Welsh Opera Company.
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Tosca in Cardiff”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I thought I was booking in Bristol but it turned out to be Cardiff so we decided to make a mini-holiday of it, staying at a nearby hotel and walking to the Opera House. I was glad that this happened because anyone remotely interested in Architecture would be very impressed with this theatre which also doubles as art gallery and hosts many shows other than opera. The opera itself was lovely, and the facilities at the Opera House were impressive - especially the ladies' loos - there were masses of them and very pristine! I would have liked more time to have looked around and am determined to return to Cardiff (for the third time) to explore its terrific castle properly and art gallery. Lucky Cardiff and, of course good weather always helps.

Visited October 2013

Coleraine, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great Night out at Pirates of Penzance”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Over for daughter's graduation and decided at short notice to go to this performance. Lovely building easy to access from our hotel on foot and what a great performance. Great night out and facilities at venue excellent with lots of access to bars and refreshments. Building itself very interesting in its architecture. - Well done Cardiff

Visited July 2013
Carmarthen
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“An absolute gem of an experience”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A visit to the Welsh National Operas' production of Madame Butterfly, was my birthday surprise. Considering I had openly admitted to a dislike of Opera, I had serious doubts about my enjoyment of this experience. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the costs of the seats were £5 each !! For an opera !!

Not to look totally out of place or ignorant, I purchased a programme and read the synopsis of the story. Once the Opera started, and I realised there were translations (subtitles if you like :)) shown above the stage, I was transfixed and thoroughly immersed in the whole experience very quickly. I loved the experience (much to my girlfriends amusement) and though I would not make a trip to the opera a monthly or bi-monthly treat, I think more visits will be arranged.

Visited February 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Amazing operas at prices everyone can afford”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

When I first went to see the Welsh National Opera I had never seen an Opera before and was a bit concerned that it was not my style. WNO put tickets on from five pounds...so what was there to loose? I loved it, the unique non-fussy, easy going, modern style. I have now seen 15 of their operas...and introduced my mum to the WNO. Great stuff. Long may you continue and make Opera available to all

2 Thank Magpie_L
WALES
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“La Boheme - Autumn season”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Superb production of La Boheme. 'Mimi' was a bit tall for me but that aside from that her rendition was excellent. Designers should also be commended - wonderful but would have liked o see them using the whole of Wales Millennium Centre's amazing stage.

Visited September 2012