“a great hotel in a wonderful city”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 11, 2010

arrived by train from london. took taxis to hotel.
hotel is within a 15 minute walk from the train station and less than 10 minutes from city centre shopping centres..
nice modern building with very pleasant public areas.
excellent breakfast buffet included in rate.
tourist bus circling downtown core from train station to hotel and back around to train station and transport centre.
room exceptional value and quality and a staff that reflected the hotel standard..
took a day trip by train/bus to hay-on-wye, the book town.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2010

Thank you for your lovely review from your stay at our Hotel. Your review was a pleasure to read and it is great that you covered so much location during your stay. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards Rachel Cornelius Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the hotel the night before the Wales v Australia game. Despite the fact that the hotel was busy with the players, media and a graduation party we were welcomed warmly by all the front of house staff.

The room (2nd floor) was lovely, and the room service prompt and friendly.

We spent the evening at the New Theatre which is a short walk away, and enjoyed a few drinks in the Metropole Bar on our return.

The downside as has been mentioned before was being woken up a couple of times in the night by passing clubbers. Nothing too bad, but the fact that there are no grounds to the hotel does lend itself to a degree of noise.

Breakfast was fantastic, a great selection of items to choose from. The fact we could leave our car in the hotel parking until we had completed a morning of browsing the shops was much appreciated.

Overall, we had a great stay, and would consider the hotel again if a similar night away presented itself.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review for our Hotel. We were delighted to read your great comments regarding your room, Metropole Lounge and breakfast and pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and managed to squeeze in some shopping! We would love to have you come back and stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the future. Kind Regards Rachel Cornelius Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

I have to stay in Cardiff for 3 nights a week until at least the end of 2010. Over the last 4 weeks or so, I have been staying at the Hilton Cardiff. Unfortunately each time I have stayed, there have been problems:

1) The rooms are freezing. I tried to adjust the air conditioning unit in the room but to no avail. After changing rooms and complaining to reception, I was cheerily told by the duty manager that, "we are cutting costs and taking control of the air conditioning centrally so guests can no longer control it individually. A note to this effect in the room would have been useful.

2) On another stay I checked in and made my way up to the 4th floor only to find the key wouldn't open the door. Back down to reception to have my key re-charged. Back up to 4th floor and the door still wouldn't open. Back down to reception. "Sorry" and re-charged the card. Only when I said that I wouldn't be back down a third time did they get someone to accompany me up to my room. After furious key swiping we eventually got in to the room. Apparently the door lock battery was flat and needed to be replaced. Someone would fix it that night. Of course no-one did...

3) The rooms are seriously tired. Worn carpets and frayed wallpaper. The windows let in draughts. And if you are on the lower floors and NOT overlooking the castle, there is an adjacent multistory car park which shines it's strong floodlights all night long. And given that the room curtains no longer close completely the room is uncomfortably light all night.

4) Final straw was on checking in last week to be welcomed by "there was a problem with your company's credit card last week and we haven't been paid. I need to spk to someone now" This was about 1930 so that wasn't going to happen. Turned out there was no major problem at all. But what a pleasant welcome for a repeat guest.

Suffice to say today was my final check out at the Hilton Cardiff and I am looking forward to staying at the Radisson Blu for the rest of the year.

There are many better hotels in Cardiff - shop around before choosing this one.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Booked a junior suite as we wanted to the upper floor view and access to the lounge for the very excellent breakfast and open but small bar in the evening. The lounge was very good with fine service and good food.

Our junior suite had a nice large bathroom and straighton view of the castle. Very nice indeed. The king bed was very comfortable and the room came with a small sitting area. Not overly large for a junior suite, but glad we booked it, as I would no double have felt that a standard room was too small.

The location is perfect as has been said. Our car was well handled for parking in the hotel garage and bringing it around when we wanted to go explore. Yes, its not cheap to park here, but in what central city is parking inexpensive. In any event, it was quite convenient.

Ate no dinner downstairs, but found the staff very helpful in suggesting routes to drive, and areas to walk.

As has been mentioned, outside noise can be a significant issue. Late at night from arouond 11 p.m. to 3 or 4 a.m., there seemed to be roving bands of college age people, almost to a person drunk off the a- - ! Many were quiet, but when 100's (literally) are passing back and forth from Cardiff University into the central city, its an issue. While we were there weekdays in October (fortunately, no football games were being played), the noise was noticeable. It did not spoil our visit, and I'd stay here again. But, at 11 p.m. I was out front smoking a cigar, and while no peronal danger to me, I felt intimated enough by the routy groups of young people, that I retreated to the hotel steps and the near safety of the lobby. I don't want to make this seem overstated, but I've never encountered anything like this. In part, its due to the fact that in Wales, people drink and drink and then, drink some more.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed for two nights at the weekend. The hotel staff were all very welcoming and helpful. The bedroom was clean and comfortable with a good size flat screen TV. The bathroom was large and very well kitted out with modern fittings and double size shower. The location in the centre of Cardiff worked well for us, being opposite the castle, easy walk to shops and bus stop right outside (not worth using the car while you're there). We were expecting to hear some traffic noise as it is a city centre hotel but it was actually quiet - we were on the 4th floor and the sound of the revellers on Sat night couldn't be heard due to good double glazing ( although there was an occasional police/ambulance siren). Suggest you ask for a high up room if you stay on a Fri/Sat night. Plenty of choice for breakfast - bit pricey.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff and I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Your fantastic comments have been shared with the whole team here at the Hotel which they were thrilled with and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Rachel Cornelius
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed at this Hilton in part because of its convenient location across from Cardiff Castle (which is a wonderful place to visit if you have the time) and because the hotel has a fairly high rating on TripAdvisor. Did I make a mistake staying here - and I suggest you avoid this place. Even getting to the front door is a chore due to the poor traffic pattern and the construction. The hotel itself is medicore at best. Nice lobby, but tired rooms with poor housekeeping (the bathroom was not well cleaned and there was hair in the shower). The major issue is noise. I stayed on a weekend, and was continually awoken by what can only be described as the sounds of a street riot. At 3 in the morning, the scene in front of the hotel and the adjacent streets was bedlam, with drunken revelers staggering in the streets, on the sideways, and even up onto the steps leading into the lobby of the hotel.

I am a Hilton Diamond HHonors member and I've stayed at many, many Hilton properties all over the world over the past 25+ years. I can honestly say that my stay at the Hilton Cardiff was the most disappointing experience I can recall. If you want a quiet hotel where you have a chance of getting a night's sleep, avoid this property.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Flying_Lawyer
Reviewed October 16, 2010

This Hotel continues to be the reason why we travel to Cardiff from Reading! We come for the service, the pool, executive lounge and room which my son absolutely loves. As a bonus the Hotel is just minutes walk from the bars/restaurants/shopping/John Lewis and across the road from the Castle. There are brilliant views of the castle from the Executive Lounge. I've reviewed this hotel before so will just confirm a few things:
The service is the best I've ever experienced at a Hilton. From the concerge/valet parking right through to the chef at breakfast it was truely excellent and it was good to see familiar faces since our last visit some months ago. I'd like to point out that Guest Relations Manager, Rachel, is exceptional. She often took time out of her busy day to check we were happy and to facilitate anything we needed.
The Breakfast is great! The chef (David?) was very helpful, he cooked my poached eggs then brought them over to me quickly and made sure I didn't need anything else. The waiting staff were really friendly and listened while my son (4yrs old) chatted away to them!
The Executive Lounge has some delicious food (snacks that almost stretch to a meal!) and attentive staff like Christophe to get drinks for you in the evening
At the weekend one of the streets to one side of the hotel gets lively (bars and clubs nearby). It's possible to hear this noise from some of the rooms, it doesn't bother us but you might want to ask to be in a quieter part of the hotel if it bothers you!
We are looking to book again in the New Year

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2010

Thank you for your lovely comments about your stay and we were all delighted to welcome you back! Your feedback is truly fantastic which has been shared with all members of the team here in Cardiff which they were delighted to read. I hope your holiday in Turkey went well and it was lovely to see you and your family again. We all look forward to seeing you again soon in the new year.

Best Wishes