“A Recharge!”

Hilton Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a 'well earned break', we like Cardiff so a decision was made and the Hilton was chosen.
When arriving the car was promptly 'whisked away' by the conceirge, we were informed of the 16.00GBP charge.
The checking in process was painless with the staff being efficient and informing us of the view from our room, which was on the 5th floor overlooking Cardiff Castle, nice.
The room was excellent, clean, with a nice bathroom, flat screen tv and good sized double bed, very comfortable.
Despite the central location (which as far as we were concerned was a MASSIVE plus) there was very little noise. Comfortable pillows also.
Breakfast was a buffet type, a Chef on standby to prepare poached eggs etc etc, very well prepared and served. One SMALL criticism the black pudding, I dont feel is popular nowadays, as the one on offer was very 'rubbery', must have been sitting there under the heat for a while, difficult I know but I personnally would take it off the menu, your selection is sufficient without it. Breakfast was to an excellent standard.
The hotel was very, very, busy 30th/31st December. The preperations for the New Years Eve Gala were underway with beautifully decorated tables we viewed in the Ballroom.
The health club attached to the hotel needs constant maintenance (I would Imagine) in the pool area with the ceiling having condensation problems, however the treatments we received from Stacey were to a high standard, leg massage for me and facial for my wife.
I know the General Manager reads 'Travel Advisor', We would say considering the volumes of guests you had during our stay your staff were courteous, polite, extremely professional and are a real credit to you and your hotel, please relay our comments to them.
When we checked out the receptionist commented that she loves this festive time of year at the hotel because everybody is so happy, a nice positive open comment, Well Done ALL!!
See you next time when we need a battery recharge.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, Guest Relations at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2010

I hope you have returned fully recharged after your stay in our hotel! Your review is so great to read and our General Manager is so pleased with your generous comments about our hotel. We are in the process of preparing for a full refurbishment of our Livingwell Health Club and I do hope that you can enjoy this on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Cardiff

Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed just one night on business. Would recommend, very good service, enjoyed the breakfast and it is comfortable

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
CWLCardiff, Guest Relations at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2010

Thank you for your your review I am very pleased that you enjoyed the room and service at the hotel and that your stay was comfortable and we do hope that you will return soon.

Our thanks again...

Reviewed December 29, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Cardiff Hilton the weekend leading up to Christmas. Overall, I would rate this hotel as a low 4 star establishment.

Good Points:
1. Location – good loation, across the street from Cardiff Castle + close to shops. It is about a 5 minute walk to Cardiff stadium + the train station.
2. Breakfast – like most Hilton hotels, the breakfast was spot on. Nice all you can eat buffett with beverages included in the price of our room. The chef was more than happy to make up any special requests (eggs, pancakes etc).
3. Room size – big large room. Staff put us on a high floor overlooking Cardiff castle.
4. Nice sports/gym/pool area – didn’t use it but it looked great.

Bad Points:
1. Despite arriving at 3pm, our room wasn’t ready when we arrived.
2. When I asked front desk staff “what should I do in this city if I have one day to explore it” I received blank faces. The only thing they could suggest was Cardiff Castle….bit obvious if you ask me, seeing it was across the street from the hotel.
3. When we came back to the hotel at 5pm to collect our bags, the porter staff ignored me. They let other people cut in front of me and happily served them while I was left waiting to collect my bags. Perhaps they should hire a few more staff.
4. Expensive internet – surely, in today’s world, Hilton can provide free wifi access to its guest. Radisson Hotels do, why cant Hilton?

This hotel is more or less what I expected. I paid £99/night with breakfast for the two of us – I booked directly with Hilton. I only stayed at this hotel after a few other family member had recommended it to me. In hindsight, I wish I had stayed at the Novotel which would have only cost £59.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Downunderman

Thanks for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location, breakfast and your bedroom overlooking Cardiff Castle. I was however disappointed and surprised with your remarks concerning our team members as we always receive such great comments and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you at the time. Your constructive comments will be discussed and actioned immediately and I do hope that despite your comments you will return again.

Reviewed December 5, 2009

The hotel is located in the centre of Cardiff and is walking distance from all major stores etc...

The hotel itself was clean and our room (Standard room) was very spacious. The bathroom was also very large and well worth the £100 per night! We had room service 1 night and the service was pretty much what you expect from such a big hotel, food was good (nice and hot) and was well presented. The mini bar was a bit crazy to say the least, as soon as you pick something up from the mini bar (even just to read the label) you are instantly charged for it unless you put it back within 2 minutes...I know seem a bit crazy but hey all good enough.

There is car parking in the hotel but only via the concierge service - £15 per day which does seem like a lot but not a lot you can do as there is not really anywhere else you can park.

All in all a very nice hotel, very clean and good service, exactly what you would expect from the Hilton brand.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, Guest Relations - Hilton Cardiff at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write your review for our hotel. It is so great to read that you enjoyed not just your spacious bedroom but the food, service and location and that we met your expectations of a Hilton and all at such a great rate of just £100! Please come back and visit soon maybe hit the January sales!!!

Reviewed December 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a conference at the end of Nov/ start of Dec. From the minute that I arrived I was very impressed with the quality of service from the staff. The concierge was excellent and couldn't do enough to help me. My room was spacious and looked out onto one of the main streets in Cardiff, although I didn't have any problems with the noise. My only gripe would be that the tiles in the bathroom were stained in the shower area and around the sink. I got the impression that the bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly for a while. That said it did not spoil my stay.
The conference facilities were good. Although the food was not the 5*, it was well cooked and what I would expect for a banquet.
Overall I was very impressed with the service provided by staff. They went out of their way to be helpful, and I am considering coming back to the hotel with my partner for a weekend break early next year.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
CWLCardiff, Guest Relations at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Your feedback is really great to read I am so pleased that you were impressed with the service of our staff following your stay for your conference. I was disappointed to read about your bathroom tiles as do receive great comments about our bathrooms and I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and we will action this straight away. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year to enjoy your weekend break.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 13, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night and had a meeting there the next day. The staff where very helpful and friendly relly couldn't do enough to make sure my stay and meeting ran smoothly.
I only eat breakfast in the hotel but even at 9.30 am the food was fresh and tasted good.
A nice touch was the staff addressing me by name when they served me and when I left. A small attention to detail goes a long way.
Meeting rooms where excellent and again staff very helpful in making sure everything ran smooth.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
CWLCardiff, Guest Relations at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2009

We were thrilled to read your review such fabulous comments have made our day! I was so pleased to read your comments regarding our service and agree that a little touch goes a long way! I was glad to read that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2009

What can I say except for excellent. Myself and my husband stayed at the Hilton on probably one of the busiest weekends of the year when the Allblacks were staying, and I must admitt that the hotels full attention was not only focused on the Allblacks but their full attention was given to the remainder of the guests whom were staying. The Staff we're extremley friendly and helpful, rooms were very clean and comfortable, location was perfect. Would definitely recommend and will be back next year.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

I was very pleased to read that you and your husband enjoyed your stay for the rugby weekend. Your comments concerning our staff, rooms and location was wonderful and our team go out of their way to ensure our guest's satisfaction and that they enjoy their stay. Hopefully when you return next year we may even have won the rugby!!!