“Great location but very noisy at night” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Great location but very noisy at night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

The Hilton is very centrally situated in Cardiff but the downside of this is that at night it is very noisy. Even up on the 7th floor, the noise from the streets below could be heard until the early hours. There are a lot of hen parties! The room was good but staying there is quite expensive, not least because there is an extortionate charge for wi fi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Victoria,

I am sorry to read of your dissappointing comments regarding your stay with us and I am sorry for the obvious inconvenience caused to you.

Unfortunately being a City Centre Hotel we do experience external noise which is out of our control and we are working very closely with the council and noise pollution teams to mimimise disruption to our guests. I have passed on your valuable comments to them.

Please do contact me personally when you have made your next booking with us via Rachel.Cornelius@hilton.com and I will ensure you are allocated a room overlooking the Castle.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Hilton is a lovely hotel, we got there early 11 am after booking an early arrival and we had a lovely room 501 overlooking Cardiff Castle which was large, very clean and spacious. The bed was also very large, very comfortable and room was very quiet all through our stay. We had room service which was excellent, but had a surprise with a tray charge of £5? The food was very good and but expensive, never mind we were hungry and in our Spa robes. The Shower was great, and the staff were friendly and curtious. We were there because our son had bought us a Spa day for Christmas, and while the Hotel was excellent it was let down by the so called Spa tucked away on the 2nd floor. The Staff though nice were disorganised and we felt like sheep being herded in and out. The facilities were about what you would find in a Leisure Centre and nothing special! The Steam room was at normal room temp and the dry room was too hot, the swimming pool was nice at 1.2m deep but now I know how a lobster feels like as it was Stainless Steel. Don't get me wrong the Hotel, room and Staff were excellent, but the Spa is not a Spa but a gym/leisure Centre that has a couple of therapists that carry out treatments in a small room they squeezed in, a bit of an after thought. I am sorry I can't judge the restaurant as the reviews were not great so popped in Jamie's who also didn't have great reviews but I must say we had a fantastic meal.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the hotel, our location and your refurbished bedroom. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy with the facilities in our health club and that this did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

From the first experience on-line to the welcoming reception staff and enthusiatic bell boy, to the bar man, in-room dining staff, cleaner and check out cashier, this could not have been a better experience and what a surprise from what I had thought would be a mid-ranking experience from a chain hotel. It was quite the opposite - top class and I'd highly recommend for business or pleasure. Conveniently located to the station, good efficient staff, decent food and a good coffee in the bar. It's also just over the road from the great museum and art gallery and seemed close to the shops. Toiletries were plentiful, bathroom was large, bed comfortable and the whole place was clean. One issue could have been that our room overlooked the Atrium where a noisy party was taking place but it did not stop us sleeping, probably because the bed was so comfortable! I'd ask for an outside room next time just in case.

Dear Pamela F,

Wow what a fantastic review to read and may I thank you for taking the time to complete your review.

Your fantastic comments regarding our team of staff along with our location and Hotel has been shared with the whole team which they were thrilled to read- Thank you!

I am sorry that you were disturbed by internal noise from a function taking place at the Hotel and please do personally contact me via Rachel.cornelius@hilton.com when you have made your next booking with us and I will ensure you are allocated an outside room.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights to attend a function held at the hotel. We had an executive room which was large but surprisingly no fridge or mini bar. We did get access to the executive lounge and the afternoon tea and evening bar service were good.i was very disappointed that Bacardi was not available in the bar and a white rum alternative they offered was disgusting. There was a separate bar for the function on the Saturday night but only two staff which meant slow service albeit the staff worked hard to cope. Staff all friendly. Good choice at breakfast and the sun lounge area is very nice.

Room Tip: Executive room worthwhile. Ask for a seat in sun lounge for breakfast.
Dear Gordon B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay with us to attend a function at the Hotel.

I can confirm that all of our rooms contain fridges located underneath the TV's for guests to store their own personal items and I am sorry that you did not see this.

I am glad you enjoyed our executive lounge and your comments regarding our team of staff are a pleasure to read.

I have noted your comments regarding our stock and service in our bars which I have shared with our Food & Beverage team of staff who will ensure action is taken.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.

wellington,Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for my birthday 8th-9th June,we arrived at 2.50pm and unluckily our room, which was a disabled one was not ready, the reception told us they would call us when it was,i did have to ask twice if it was ready and eventually we were given our keys at 4.10 pm, the reception staff were very apologetic but basically they couldn`t do anything either.I think that the walk from the lift to the disabled room that I had was quite long and maybe they could have thought of maybe putting the room nearer the lifts,mind you the room was very large, the bed enormous, the room was very clean and the bathroom big enough to accommodate a wheelchair which luckily I dont need but do need a stick because my walking is not great. The breakfast was very good with a good selection of different choices.I would use the hotel again but probably not at full price.

Dear Sullivan50

Thank you for your review regarding your birthday celebration with us.

I was sorry to read of the delay you experienced in retrieving your bedroom and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. All of our accessible rooms are located at the rear of the Hotel due to their large size.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and we look forward to seeing you back at our Hotel again very soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Hilton Cardiff, we booked a junior suite such a disappointment, out dated and grubby furnishings, broken shower cubicle, had to phone reception to ask them to replenish the dirty fridge, got sick of waiting for housekeeping so dusted the room myself. The restaurant was more like a school dinning hall . We have stayed in a lot of the hotels in the city & this was most definitely the worse by miles. Would not stay there again, Evan if it was free.......

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Claire C
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, June 10, 2014

I sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy with your visit on this occasion.

I was particularly disappointed to read your comments regarding your Junior Suite as we have recently had an extensive bedroom refurbishment and received great comments regarding the decor of quality of the rooms. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience.

I really do hope that despite your comments you will consider staying with us in the future and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Cardiff in May 2014. We had a large room on the 4th floor. No matter what we did we could not get it to warm up. We had a thermostat on the wall but although we adjusted it, the heating did not appear to work. The hallway and public areas were quite warm

The noise from 2 am onward until around 4 am was horrendous, waking us up. It appeared to be drunks leaving night spots.

Apparently if you stay on the Castle side the noise does not penetrate.

Service was good, Executive lounge was excellent

Room Tip: Stay on Castle side of the building and check the heating in the room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kris4355

I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry that you experienced a problem with the temperature in your bedroom and the external noise and we will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us in the future and please do not hesitate to get in touch if I can be of any assistance.