“Business Trip”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Pleasant hotel right in the centre. Concierge service when you arrive so you have to think quickly to remove EVERYTHING you need as the car is taken off site somewhere. Room was clean and comfortable - i couldn't locate the in-room tea/coffee but was later told it was tucked away in a drawer under the TV! Room service let the place down as the food did not reflect the description on the menu! Excellent service from the staff though!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

It was great to read your fantastic review of the Hilton Cardiff.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay here with us on business and the standard of your bedroom and may I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and if I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

louisa.stride@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,298)

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed for three nights in January, we had booked three Executive rooms with views and had requested floor 7.We have stayed at the Cardiff Hilton many times, it's our first choice every time. When we arrived the receptionist told us that our rooms were on the 7th floor but one room wasn't ready and because we have Gold HHonors Membership we were offered upgrade to the King Presidential Suite for a small extra payment. The suite is huge with floor to ceiling windows offering spectacular 180 degree views of Cardiff and the countryside beyond. The bathroom is very large with separate shower and tub. Unfortunately the whirlpool in the tub was not working. The sofas in the large lounge are very comfortable but are covered in a very light coloured material and have become stained and shabby over time. The whole hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment and I'm sure it won't be long before the sofas are recovered. We loved the suite and would definitely book it again if we were offered the reduced rate.
The other rooms we had were fine, fabulous views and large bathrooms with separate shower and tub. All the rooms were spotlessly clean but are ready for their forthcoming refurbishment.
The Executive Lounge is small and sometimes it was difficult to find a seat but it is very good and the staff there are lovely. The canapés were delicious!
We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning and it was very good with a wide choice. All the staff in the restaurant were pleasant and efficient.
Valet parking at the hotel is very efficient and the porters are excellent.
We thoroughly enjoyed our little break in Cardiff and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the 7th Floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank italyintimefortea

I would like to thank you for your first class review of the Hilton Cardiff

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments. Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Cardiff once again in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on a Monday night for one night. Even on a Monday night there was loud music from one of the nearby pubs quite late into the night. I thought that for a chain like Hilton that the soundproofing would be better than it actually was. So wouldn't recommend on that but the rest of the stay was good, very good breakfast. Quite a walk to/from the main train station too.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I am very sorry to read your comments regarding external noise and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you during your visit.

If I can help with any future stays please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

When you see the brand Hilton you expect to be staying with the best. Stayed here a couple of times with work now and have to say it hasn't lived up to my expectations. Most recent stay was end of January when I was allocated room 224. Arrived no problem and checked in fine. My room was literally right outside the gym entrance so whilst is was handy to make use of the very good and free facilities there was quite a bit of noise from the comings and goings. My main issues however are the rooms are a bit grubby for what I would expect from a Hilton. Stained carpets worn furniture and mouldy tiles in the shower. In addition to this my room was located overlooking The Friary which is a street leading to the Live Lounge. The noise from both this and the people leaving it every night was terrible. I would have asked to be moved like some of my colleagues did but really didn't want to pack and unpack again.
The beds were comfortable and breakfasts were pretty good however and the service in the bar was ok although the lady in there seemed as if she was stressed (and overworked) most nights and therefore didn't smile much.
I will probably stay here again as our company usually chooses but if I had the choice I would probably try elsewhere to see if there is better.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I was very sorry to read your feedback and apologise for your disapointment on this occasion. Our Guest Relations Manager has contacted you direct regarding these matters.

I am delighted to confirm that we are currently undergoing a full bedroom refurbishment and three floors have been completed and we have had fantastic feedback regarding our new rooms.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Hilton Hotel, Cardiff is just across the road from Cardiff Castle and executive rooms on floors 6 and 7 (top floors), as well as the executive lounge, have good views of the castle grounds.
The porter was very helpful on our arrival, taking our bags and suit carriers from the car, putting them on a luggage trolley and taking them to our room while I checked in. We were staying 2 nights at the hotel - Fri and Sat as we were married in Cardiff Castle on the Sat. On the Fri, late afternoon when we arrived in our room there was a small cake on a plate with 'good luck' written in chocolate - very nice! The room was a good size, king size bed, floor to ceiling window with a good view to the front of the hotel, including the castle grounds, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, iron and ironing board and safe. The good sized ensuite bathroom had complimentary toiletries, separate bath and shower cubicle. The only real criticism is that free Wi-Fi was not available in the room. If Wi-Fi was needed it was comparatively expensive. This is quite a let-down considering the price paid for the room. I would expect it to be quite easy for the hotel to include this for free at little or no extra cost to them?
As we had booked an executive room, we had complimentary access to the executive lounge. From 15.00 – 18.00 complimentary tea and cakes were being served. I cannot comment on this as we did not visit the lounge at this time. From 18.00 – 20.00 complimentary soft and alcoholic drinks as well as hot and cold canapés were being served. This was a perfect relaxing evening for us after rushing around making final wedding preparations. The staff in the executive lounge were very polite and helpful.
Sleep that night was disturbed – noise from outside revellers at 3am and the clock tower chiming every 15 mins however, this is the centre of Cardiff! The perfect location of being right in the centre of shops, restaurants, bars and clubs will inevitably bring with it an amount of noise. I think the lack of sleep was also attributable to excitement and possibly nerves before our wedding!
Sat morn we used both the pool and Jacuzzi. It was very quiet and nice and relaxing. Breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant followed which was buffet style, compromising of a good choice of both hot and cold items. I was then in our room waiting for my Dad to come to collect me to then walk me down the aisle, when a staff member delivered a bottle of champagne to the room complete with cupcake on a plate with ‘Congratulations on your wedding day’ written in chocolate. What a lovely surprise! A very nice gesture from the Hilton Hotel, very much appreciated by my husband and me.
After our wedding ceremony and breakfast at Cardiff Castle, we returned to the hotel with approx. 20 guests in tow. There was an impromptu photography shoot in the lobby of the hotel before we finally managed to move our guests on to the venue we had arranged for the evening. The Hotel reception took the ‘photo shoot’ in their stride. It didn't appear to be a problem for them at all. Thank you!
Check out on Sunday morning after breakfast was simple and efficient.
Thanks to all staff at The Hilton Cardiff who helped to make the weekend of our wedding very special and one we’ll never forget.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

May I offer you both our congratulations on your recent Wedding!

It was our absolute pleasure to have you stay here with us in the Hilton before your big day and I am so pleased that you liked your surprise Champagne and Cupcake!

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I arrived early and were prepared to leave our luggage in reception, however our room was ready and we were able to not only check in but go to the room to hang our clothes ready for our night out at the New Theatre which is well within walking distance as is the city centre where an oasis of shops are available and a wonderful choice of somewhere to eat

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side to late night bars
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

It is great to read that your room was ready for your early arrival and that you were able to check in and relax before your trip to the Theatre and I do hope that you enjoyed the show.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I must say that we had a super time at the Hilton Hotel, Cardiff. The staff were terrific (Alan especially). The meal in the evening was second to none. Our friends were celebrating their 25th Wedding Anniversary and the Hilton really made every special - including 3 celebratory plates on different occasions with "Happy 25th Anniversay ( including a small cake)" .and complimentary glasses of bubbly during our meal. The buffet that was brought out for us Saturday lunchtime was wonderful. A great job - thank you the Hilton, Cardiff!! p.s. Our room was brilliant too (only complaint was a bit noisy but what do you expect on a Friday night in Cardiff??)

Room Tip: Ask not to be by the lifts!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

A big thank you for your great review of the Hilton.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and your meal in our Razzi Restaurant for your friend's 25th Wedding Anniversary. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our special occasion plates and glass of bubbly! Your comments concerning the service from our team and especially Alan are an absolute pleasure to read.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome everyone back very soon.