“Good overnight city hotel”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is our second visit to this hotel, as before we would be say this is a good hotel for a city based overnight accommodation. Our room was junior suite, again very clean , with all the usual amenities. On this occasion we used the hotel Resturant for sunday lunch, this was very good with good prices for food and wine, there was also plenty of choice.

Our only negative is it would appear lots of people use this hotel for concerts, the problem is if you want hot food they stop serving at 10pm which is not good cause you don't get back to the hotel til 10.30pm. You can't even order hot food via room service. We ordered a sandwich which even though not hot was very enjoyable.

We used this hotel as we were at a concert at St David's Hall, the location was fantastic, only a ten minute walk. We will return for our next concert. The concert venue was also excellent.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

I would like to thank you for your review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Your overall comments were great to read and I am pleased with your feedback regarding our location your juniour suite and the value and quality of food for Sunday Lunch in our Razzi Restaurant.

I have also noted your comments regarding the closing times of our Restaurant and the availability of hot food and may I offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and please do contact me if I can assist with any preference for food after 10.30pm.

Hilton Cardiff

Write a ReviewReviews (3,355)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Name a hotel that gives great service, looks great in and out, has the best location, a castle overlooking it, fantastic Kingsized comfy beds, wonderful breakfast buffet, staff that pay attention to every detail. A manager who listens to customer feedback. The best palce I have stayed for a long long time.... "HILTON CARDIFF" stay there you will not be sorry.
Thanks for all you did.

Room Tip: Castle facing rooms are great I stayed in 304
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank your for your First Class review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Cardiff once again in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Not impressed,very basic,no car park,no character,many better 4/5* hotels in the city.Does not live upto the Hilton name/brand.Room furniture was damaged,wallpaper ripped and coming away from wall.Bed was good and very comfortable.Bathroom was also very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I was very disappointed to read your review of our hotel following your recent visit.

Your feedback is very disappointing and I would like to offer my apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that this is not indicative of our normal high standards and these comments will be taken on board.

Please do contact me or our Guest Relations Manager direct if you would like to discuss your stay at our hotel.

Hilton Cardiff.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This way mine and my husbands first stay at the brand Hilton however I did have high expectations we booked online which was easy and opted to upgrade to a castle view for an extra £12 if it was available, we checked in on the Saturday we was told our room wasn't quite ready however we do have a castle view happy wife , we waited for about forty minutes for our room to actually be ready during this time the we did have our luggage kept safe, when the room was ready we went up, the room it's self was nice, it was clean , the view was lovely although there was a ledge in the was but nothing to complain about really, everything was fab, getting ready to go out for the evening I took a shower to which I found the shower was leaking on the seams of the head which sprayed the walls, there was also the corner of the shower which to be honest wasn't nice at all with black mould between the tiles, the towels were very very very rough a bit of fabric softener wouldn't go amiss, my only other complaint would be there was no robes which according to the time of booking there should of been, apart from that both myself and my husband have a fantastic nights sleep the bed was lovely and comfortable there was no outside noise that we heard. Location was brilliant would stay there again .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel following your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies for the delay you experienced upon check in and your constructive feedback regarding your bathroom. Your comments will be raised with our operations team for their immediate action.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a fantastic nights sleep and the central ocation of our hotel.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit soon and if there is anything that I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel was easy to reach by car from the motorway. It was not clear what to do with parking. Initially I though I found the Hilton parking, only to be told I had to park the car in front of the hotel and Hilton staff would take it to the parking lot for me.

I did this and was welcomed by a friendly and quick receptionist for check-in.

The room was fine, coffee and tea facilities present, no other extras. The toiletries were fine and fresh smelling.

We had two lunches and three dinners at the hotel restaurant. The food was okay, but not speciail. the lunch options were not very light (lasagne, roast potatoes and so on). The fish dishes were found to be nice by myself and colleagues.

Breakfast: had a lot of items and choice, not all of excellent quality though (English breakfast wasn't made of high quality ingredients). Look out for the pancakes hidden under a metal thing as they were really nice. Coffee was good and served at your table. Fresh fruit was peeled and several juices available.

We had a conference room all day (Castle room). The facilities worked, although internet wasn't stable.
The chairs were uncomfortable to sit on for a whole day. There was a loud vibrant noise in the room that went on continuously.

Sleeping comfort, bed and silence were all fine.

Internet was free in the lobby and had a £15 per 24 hour fee in the rooms. Despite this price it went on and off and I wasn't able to download photos as the internet connection was not stable enough.

About an hour after check-in I went back to my room from the conference room, to find the door open and no one inside. The door was being kept open with a handle positioned in a way to keep the door open.
I saw a cleaning lady and asked, but she said she hadn't been in the room and didn't know who had.

I went down to reception to tell them my room was open. Fortunately nothing was missing, but anyone could have come in and access my belongings.
Reception was apologetic and tried to find out what happened.

The explanation I was given was someone from room service had come to fill up the minibar. The had gone for a short while to get an item they wanted to replace.
In the following three days of my stay no one from the minibar team came around nor was my minibar ever filled. I wasn't sure what to think of the story.
However, reception was apologetic and offered a few free drinks from the minibar to compensate, I thought this was a good gesture.

On departure I had asked for my car to be brought up from the parking at a secified time as I had to leave in a rush for the airport. The car came 15 minutes late and made me have to rush, event hough I had tried to have it ready on time and had explained why.

During check-out someone I mentioned internet had been on and off and given the fee I found this quite unacceptable. Reception apologised but didn't offer a discount or anything. i left it for what it was as I already had complained about the door being open and didn't want to make a fuss.
People next to me at reception were checking out and mentioned internet had been on and off. Their receptionist answered it must have been an individual case. Overhearing this I mentioned actually I and a colleague of mine had experienced internet was not stable. At this point the receptionist got snappy with me and said I should have told them right away if there was a problem. It hough this was unfriendly and unfair. We all had to pay for internet anyway, but it didn't look like good service to me.

After I left the hotel I realised I had left two items of clothing in my room. I phoned and spoke to the relevant department. They were very friendly and helpful and promised to send me my clothes and take it off the credit card. I'm waiting for the items to arrive at the moment.

All in all the hotel wasn't bad, but the service could have been better. Especially £15 for 24 hour internet has to be stable and if it isn't there's no use upsetting your customers by having them pay for it.

Next time I'm in Cardiff I might look out for a different hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank squizz20

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your visit to Cardiff.

May I offer you my sincere apologies for your overall comment and the issues you have higlighted in your feedback.

Please do contact our Guest Relations Manager direct if you would like to discuss your experience with us any further.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived at 2.30 check in at 3. Asked if we could have a castle view room. Was told an alternative room was available immediately or could wait 30 minutes for a castle view room. Said we would like to wait and was given the key to the executive lounge which was lacking to say the least. We were the only two in there - there was no staff - there were numerous dirty cups on the tables and counter. There was a hot drinks machine, cold drinks selection, some apples and a few short bread biscuits.

After 50 minutes the lounge phone rang which I assumed I would be ok to answer and was told our room was ready. We went down to reception took our luggage back up to floor 7 to find no sight of a castle but in fact we were over-looking the bar area we specifically asked to avoid.

This then caused a row between myself and husband as he didn't want me to call down to reception as this would cause a further delay. However I really wasn't happy considering we had waited nearly an hour for the room so did call back to reception and they had a further castle room available after 10 minutes. By the Time we got in our new room and unpacked it was almost 4 and as it was a Sunday by the time we got out most of the shops were closing.

The room appeared clean but as numerous other comments said wasn't great as desperately needs refurbishing and wasn't particularly large. Everything looks worn out - when you go down in the lift here is a big circular rug you overlook which looks filthy. I ran a bath and the water ran brown. It was really grim.

We went up to the executive lounge before we went out Sunday night and although it was nice to have a drink before we went out it was too crowded - or the room is probably far too small. We managed to get he last two seats by sharing a table and it was only about 6.30pm! The place was heaving but everything is cramped. The tables are all on top of each other and the counter area is to small and difficult to access when busy. There was a good selection of nibbles and drinks available - although not all the spirits were "named" brands which I thought was cheap. The executive lounge also closed at 8 pm which I was surprised by.

The bed was really comfy and I slept well (possibly aided by he wine I had drank during our night out)! However 6am his morning it started with my husband waking me up to ask me to turn my phone alarm off. However it wasn't on! The noise didn't stop - room phones ringing doors banging and alarms going off as if they are in your room. The sound proofing was terrible and I didn't get back to sleep.

I wasn't sure what the breakfast arrangements were as the executive lounge notice stated continental breakfast and I thought we had a full breakfast. I rang reception who checked our booking and advised me that we did in fact have a full breakfast and to go to the main restaurant.
The restaurant was not a pleasant experience, the chairs are worn and stained as are the tables. The waitress appeared to be confused when we entered and started mumbling and walking off so we assumed we had to follow her only for her to go back to the restaurant entrance again??!!

The cups were dirty - there were quite large specks on them and lip stick stains where the dishwasher hadn't cleaned them properly, but more surprisingly where they obviously hadn't been checked when the table was laid. The breakfast selection was good apart from the full English which was quite limited. There were no tomatoes or mushrooms which again I would have expected. The full English was self-serve and fried eggs, omelettes were cooked fresh to order.

After breakfast we went for a wander around the hotel as we wanted to see the swimming pool. However the signage is terrible and the pool is very difficult to find. The corridor before shows you the direction but there is nothing as you approach to tell you where to go so you exit the corridor you find another sign directing you back into the corridor from where you just came!!!!!. We did find the pool eventually but it was after much perserverance and down more to luck I think.

We went to the executive lounge for a coffee to find that the breakfast was still ongoing. My husband wanted a croissant and jam but there were no cutlery to be found. We did find a member of staff who had to go to the kitchen area to get some. What was more surprising when we looked at the breakfast selection was that full breakfast was available and there was no need to go to the main reception restaurant as we were told to do. However there was probably slightly more choice downstairs.

We usually stay at the Marriott in Cardiff as I like luxury when we go away but booked an executive room at the hilton sorrento palace for our honeymoon which was faultless. As the hilton is a world-wide brand I expected the same level of luxury and accommodation across the brand but I was left really disappointed - there is no comparison. The hilton cardiff although in a great location is not luxurious and not of a high level in any way, shape or form. The room was more expensive than the marriott. I was very disappointed and felt it was over-rated and as well as the general overall shabbiness there was a real lacking in attention to detail and information given. The stay struggled to make average.

One last point was whenever we came out of our room and into the corridor you could smell cigarette smoke however I thought the hotel was non smoking?

When we checked out the receptionist did ask me if we were happy with the room. I told her I wasn't and felt it was very shabby and the whole experience failed to meet my expectations. I was told that the hotel is being refurbished in June but again once this has been carried out, the staff need to be accurate in the information they pass to customers and the attention to detail needs to be improved.

1  Thank windsorwood40
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here on the 20th April with my husband as we were going out for a meal in cardiff bay, a very swift check in, all staff couldnt do enough for you, yes it is pricey but what do you expect its the Hilton you are not stying at the Travelodge expect to pay 4 star prices.
The hotel and room was clean. Would def stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Cardiff Hilton.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments. Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback.