“Shockingly Bad Service - better value at a Premier Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Shockingly Bad Service - better value at a Premier Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I'm writing this as a Hilton Honors member, so this isn't a "Get at Hilton Post", but this place was about as bad as it gets. I booked it as a treat for my sons, as the place has a swimming pool.

We paid over £130 per night, for two nights, NOT including breakfast,. If your over 11, you pay full price, which is over £15 per head. OK fair enough, that's published, but, do you pay that much for this:

- Despite 2 phone calls the room was not made up after the first night. I had to go out into the corridor to get clean towels.
- The Health Club was a shambles - dirty towels all over the floor, the Pool area etc. We left after 30 minutes.
- The Hotel is incredibly noisy. Built over a Central Atrium, the partying goes on all night, and you need some ear plugs.
- The rooms don't suit a family, unless your prepared to pay a ridiculous price. Much better value 400 yards away.
- WIFI simply doesn't work from the room - nothing like enough power. The signal kept being lost, and for a business hotel its ridiculous. Again, in every other hotel I've been in you get a full strength signal that allows you to watch TV on your IPAD - no chance with HILTON Cardiff.
- Parking £20 a night !!!! Ridiculous for Cardiff City Centre.

Better value at St. Davids Hotel & Spa and Premier Inn Churchill Way.

I'm a regular contributor, a HH member, but please don't stay here. you'll be disappointed..

Room Tip: Try St. Davids Hotel & Spa first. Better service, and nicer location, and perhaps some responsiv...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank stewartdavies1
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
It was very disappointing and concerning to read your review of the hotel.

Please accept our apologies for the issues you have highlighted and I am very sorry that we did not meet your expecations on this occasion. I would like to thank you for drawing these matters to our attention and your feedback is appreciated and has been taken on board.

I do hope that we will be given another chance to restore your confidence in our hotel and if I can assist with anything in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hilton Cardiff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our children had booked tickets for us to see Russell Watson in Cardiff and a night at this very convenient hotel. (One of us was 60!!) Rooms and facilities were superb. Parking, though chargeable, was secure and easy. We shall return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hyweln
I would like to say a big thank you for your review of our hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that you had a most wonderful Birthday and you enjoyed the show.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

What impressed me was the staff at the Hilton. From the time we arrived till we left all the staff made us feel at home almost like family. I have visited many Hilton's in may parts of the world and this hotel rates as the friendliest. Of particular note was the extra effort made by Pedro to get our car for us on a day when everyone was extremely busy. Thank-you. The Hotel is in the best location in Cardiff for shopping, dining and entertainment. You are all wonderful!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Red_River_Canada
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Hilton Cardiff.

Your comments concerning service you received are really great to read and truly appreciated by all of the team here at the hotel, especially Pedro !

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We used this hotel as we were in Cardiff for a concert. Upon arriving we struggled to park our car so that we could check in, as your car is valet parked. The concierge did apologise for this but we blocked the front of the hotel for a short time much to the annoyance of one particular man, who decided to demonstrate how to use his horn. Valet parking was £20 for 24hrs not sure were else you could park your car overnight ?

Reception area very clean and trendy and reception staff very helpful, our room was not ready as we arrived early we were offered an alternative which was an upgrade and acceptable.

Our room was a junior suite at the front of the hotel, very large but the space was not utilised to its full extent - all the furniture etc was pushed to the walls with a large space in the middle. The room was very clean, tea making tray facilities etc and very clean bathroom, there was a small amount of mould in the large shower. For some strange reason there was no valance on the bed which meant you could see the base and there was no throw as demonstrated on the website. Also we had to ask for another bath robe as there was only one. These were minor discrepancies and didn't affect our stay. One thing to remember if your room is on the front it can be noisy at night, we could hear party goers until 3am and it was a Wednesday night!!!

We used room service which was good, but a charge of £5.00 was made which seemed on the high side, the norm for room service charge is £3.00 even in 5 star hotels in london.

Executive lounge was good and quiet, friendly staff with the usual facilities drinks nibbles etc.

Whe we arrived back from the concert at 11.30 we were informed that we could have drinks but they had to be charged to the room.

We have a concert booked in Cardiff next year and we will return to the hotel and would recommend.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarenBateman66
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Cardiff Hilton.

I was very sorry to read of the problems upon arrival with car parking and for any inconvenience and upset caused to you at the time. I have also noted your comments regarding your bed linen and the charges for room service and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

2 night stay, with very limited sleep, absolutely drained! Poor sound insulation, combined with windows requiring maintenance gave rise to a disturbed nights sleep, not helped by room allocation on the 4th floor above the front door. Traffic noises, staggering drunks until 2.30am together with the City Hall Clock chiming every 15 minutes 24/7, ridiculous!!!

Room Tip: Light sleepers avoid!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ang H
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I was very disappointed to read your review of the hotel following your recent visit.

I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the probems with noise during your stay. The hotel is situated directly in the heart of the City and I am very sorry for the external noise you experiened and for the inconvenience this caused to you at the time. I would also like to thank you for your comments concerning the windows and we will take all of your feedback on board.

I do hope that despite your experience on this occasion we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion and if I can assist with your reservation please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

In general, the staff were courteous and polite but unfortunately the lady in the foyer bar was an exception to the norm as she was quite rude and curt and didn't come over as friendly. I have always been treated well at the Hilton but won't be going back in a hurry as there are establishments who welcome my trade, with a friendly smile and courteous attitude.

Room Tip: If you stay, have a beer somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rich0939810
I was very concerned to read your review of the hotel following your visit.

I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for your comments regarding the service in our Metropole Lounge and I would like to assure you that this is certainly not indicative of our normal high levels of customer service.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us in the near future and I do hope that we will have the chance to restore your confidence.

Roswell, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

When we arrived for check-in, we were notified that there was no hot water due to a boiler malfunction. The front desk staff assured us that they were working on the problem and that it would be remedied quickly. They offered to try to book a room for us at another hotel, but because they were so confident that the problem would be resolved soon we decided to stay instead of make our way to an unknown hotel. In all, it took until late on our 2nd day before hot water was available. (guests were 'invited' to shower at the gym across the street until then...) We found out eventually that the boiler had actually imploded and needed to be completely replaced. (which obviously would take a good amount of time)

Once we were able to take a hot shower in our room, we discovered that the shower drain was clogged along with the tiles being stained/moldy looking.

On our last night, the cleaning staff removed all of our towels without leaving any replacements. We called to the front desk several times to request towels, but there was no answer. When my husband went down in person to ask, he was told he would have to wait for them to be brought to the room.

Also, each night there were large parties/proms in the ballrooms just off the lobby. The way the hotel is laid out with a center atrium/elevator, this meant that the loud music and other noises were easily heard several floors up.

Finally, a few good points: We were in Cardiff for a few days to celebrate our 5th anniversary & the staff left us a sweet note and some chocolates in our room. The view from our room of the castle was excellent and I didn't notice any traffic noise. The staff we interacted with were friendly. The executive lounge was a nice place to relax during off peak hours, during breakfast/happy hour I found it to be too crowded.

Due to all of the issues during our stay, I was able to negotiate a small discount. However, I would have preferred honesty about the water situation when we arrived or a call/email before we arrived would have been even better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeGoSlow
Thank you for your review of the Cardiff Hilton.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the issue you experienced with the unexpected problem with your water and for any inconvenience with the delay in resolving this matter. I was also very disappointed to read your feedback with regards to the shower and replenisment of your towels and for the inconvenience caused to you at the time.

I was however pleased to read your positive comments regarding the view, service and amenity in your bedroom.

I do look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.