“Nice location.. Maintenance seems to be a problem though.”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Roswell, GA
“Nice location.. Maintenance seems to be a problem though.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

When we arrived for check-in, we were notified that there was no hot water due to a boiler malfunction. The front desk staff assured us that they were working on the problem and that it would be remedied quickly. They offered to try to book a room for us at another hotel, but because they were so confident that the problem would be resolved soon we decided to stay instead of make our way to an unknown hotel. In all, it took until late on our 2nd day before hot water was available. (guests were 'invited' to shower at the gym across the street until then...) We found out eventually that the boiler had actually imploded and needed to be completely replaced. (which obviously would take a good amount of time)

Once we were able to take a hot shower in our room, we discovered that the shower drain was clogged along with the tiles being stained/moldy looking.

On our last night, the cleaning staff removed all of our towels without leaving any replacements. We called to the front desk several times to request towels, but there was no answer. When my husband went down in person to ask, he was told he would have to wait for them to be brought to the room.

Also, each night there were large parties/proms in the ballrooms just off the lobby. The way the hotel is laid out with a center atrium/elevator, this meant that the loud music and other noises were easily heard several floors up.

Finally, a few good points: We were in Cardiff for a few days to celebrate our 5th anniversary & the staff left us a sweet note and some chocolates in our room. The view from our room of the castle was excellent and I didn't notice any traffic noise. The staff we interacted with were friendly. The executive lounge was a nice place to relax during off peak hours, during breakfast/happy hour I found it to be too crowded.

Due to all of the issues during our stay, I was able to negotiate a small discount. However, I would have preferred honesty about the water situation when we arrived or a call/email before we arrived would have been even better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeGoSlow
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Cardiff Hilton.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the issue you experienced with the unexpected problem with your water and for any inconvenience with the delay in resolving this matter. I was also very disappointed to read your feedback with regards to the shower and replenisment of your towels and for the inconvenience caused to you at the time.

I was however pleased to read your positive comments regarding the view, service and amenity in your bedroom.

I do look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Hilton Cardiff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

£20 per night for parking is a bit of a rip off in my eyes and would put me off in future. However I did find the staff very friendly and my room is fantastic with a big comfy bed. Bar and restaurant good. Good gym facilities

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Fraser C
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel.

I was really happy to read your overall comments and that you enjoyed your stay. I have also noted your feedback regarding car parking and we will take this on board.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It was a last minute decision for us to stay here on this occasion. We have stayed here before and enjoyed it. The fact that we don't have to worry about parking is a bonus. We stayed in a King Guestroom on the first floor, above the bar and were amazed that we did not hear a thing from the street outside or from the bar below. Room and bathroom were spacious and very clean. The bed was firm and comfortable. We slept very well here.
Staff at breakfast were helpful & polite. Breakfast buffet was delicious.
I particularly enjoyed meeting the Argentinian and then the Samoan rugby teams in the lifts!
Enjoyed the view of the Castle and love the fact that this hotel is so close to everything!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidaymonkey1
Thank you for such a fantastic review following your stay in the City.

I was so pleased to read your lovely comments regarding the facilities and location of the hotel and this is something that has been shared with all the team.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit soon.

Suffolk
Reviewed November 12, 2012

A one night stay back at the Hilton in Cardiff on business.

There was no one to help with my bags on arrival, which was unusual at around 18:00 on a weekday evening, but I managed to make my way with my bags into the lobby area and was allocated a castle facing room on the 2nd floor - well away from the lifts as per my request.

My hire car was taken away by the Valet parking service, which at £20 per night is not cheap, but far easier than the £18 per night self parking a short walk away - especially the following morning come checkout time.

My room was fine, with a small amount of traffic background noise as it was on one of the lower floors. I grabbed a quick shower before heading out to dinner with family, and found that the shower drain was blocked - why do housekeeping not notice these things, as this not the first time I've had maintenance issues at this hotel?

I reported this to reception on my way out and it had been fixed by the time I returned, I knew someone had done this due to the large black footprints left in the shower!

The hotel internet service (wired and wireless) is BT Openzone, so if you have BT at home or have a corporate Openzone (now BTInternet or BTWi-Fi?) account this is at no extra charge. It is £6 for an hour, or £15 for 24 hours if you don't have an account. Speed and coverage throughout the hotel was good.

I had a great nights sleep, my wake up call arrived promptly, and breakfast was well within expectations with a good variety of hot and clod options available.

My car was waiting for me as requested, and the staff at checkout were very efficient - despite it being quite busy.

I didn't get the chance to use the leisure/pool/gym facilities on this occasion, but I know from previous visits that these are fine and good for a city centre location.

A great hotel, with staff who really do go the extra mile to make your stay pleasant - my thanks to all who helped me on this visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view on a high floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CISSP_on_tour
Thank you for another great review of our hotel.

I would like to apologise that there was no one available to assist with your luggage and for your comments regarding the shower in your bathroom. I am pleased however that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from a fabulous weekend in Cardiff courtesy of work. Stayed in the Hilton on Friday and Saturday night and had a great time. Service, rooms, facilities and food all top notch.
Parking at £20 per night may seem a little excessive but all local NCP carparks are £18 so it's really comparible.

Room Tip: Great view from the seventh floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark_Gregs
I am so pleased to read your review of the Cardiff Hilton.

It is great to see your comments regarding our service, bedroom and food and beverage and I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

bristol
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked a larger room and initially were concerned that it was on a lower level and overlooking the main road but the double glazing was fine so no traffic noise. We were able to use the executive lounge which was very busy during happy hour as everyone was taking advantage of the free drinks and food! It appeared that most peopl were doing this rather than dinner! The food was good and plentiful. The downstairs bar appeared cold as it was directly in the foyer and lacked atmosphere as did the cafe/restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpfu. It is directly opposite the castle and museum and next to the shops so location is excellent.they also valet park your car which is a bonus as getting there can be confusing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank victoriabristol
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review of the Cardiff Hilton.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by the team. I have also noted your feedback with regards to the temperature and atmosphere in our Metropole Lounge and may I offer you my apologies.

I do look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ive stayed at various Hilton Hotels around the world and this one meets its usual standard. The hotel is in a fantastic location with some great Bars,Clubs,Resteraunts and shopping just around the corner. The Bistro next door is fantastic.... The rooms are clean and not bad... However some of the rooms seem dated and could do with a Re-furb. The bar at the hotel is good for a pre drink but isnt a place you could stay all night. I stay here regularly and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dannysmurf1989
I would like to thank you for posting your review of the hotel following one of your most recent visits.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our central location and that you would recommend our hotel to others. May I also thank you for your comments regarding the decor of our bedrooms and we will take your constructive feedback on board.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit soon.