“Good Standard Four Star.”
Review of Hilton Cardiff

Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Good Standard Four Star.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

For a Hotel to be five star it should be special, For four stars it should be good, The Hilton is good, not special. I've stayed now on a couple of occasions, Room clean with spacious bathroom, have to say that the bed wasn't the most comfortable, wasn't special, but it would be wrong to say it was uncomfortable, it was good. Breakfast in the morning again a good buffet but not special. Hotel car parking in Cardiff does appear to be a problem so the Valet parking is one of the reasons to stay here. I booked late so it was expensive, will try some of the alternatives next time I visit, but would be happy to stay again on a lower rate.
On my second visit I think I was upgraded to a Castle View room, certainly the reception staff gave the impression it was. I wouldn't bother if it's an additional charge as no notable difference and all I could see was a bit of wall and lots of trees.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel following your most recent visit.

I was pleased to read your constructive comments both positive and negative and we will of course take your feedback on board.

I do look forward to your next visit and if I can assist please do not hesitate to contact me.

PA to General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I bought a voucher for me and my mum to go for afternoon tea and use the spa facilities for her birthday. I was very excited as being rated as a 5star, thought it would be a lovely relaxing day. We walked in to reception and were greeted and told where to go. We entered the changing rooms for the spa room which just looked like your average leisure centre changing room. We then walked through to the spa area to find a dirty looking old pool, all of 4 seats and a hot tub that wasn't working properly. I was disappointed. I thought we could relax on loungers by the pool and read a book but no this was not the case. We left after an hour to go shopping and came back for our appointment for afternoon tea. This was very average once again with empty plates left on tables surrounding us. Very disappointed and would certaintly not bother going there for this - it didn't even look clean & i'm not one to moan!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I was really disappointed to read your review following your recent visit.

I would like to offer you and your Mum our apologies that we did not meet your expecations on this occasion. Customer service is of paramount importance to us and we will take your comments on board.

I do hope that despite your experience on this occasion we will have the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the future.

Gloucester
Reviewed November 4, 2012

You do expect a five star hotel to have that something special about it, sadly the Hilton Cardiff does not.
We stayed on a Friday night and got a reasonable rate from booking online.
Like other reviewers we found the smalll parking area at the front of the hotel frustrating and just about squeezed our car off the main road to give the keys to the concierge.
Check in at reception was efficent with a friendly welcome and we were given a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the bars. We could most definitely hear the noise outside, but luckily were both so tired from a busy day that managed to sleep.
The room was spacious and clean but dated and decorated in a decidely late 1980's yellow and blue colour scheme.
The cooked breakfast was very disappointing. The sausages were some of the worst (if not the worst!) I have ever eaten. They were pale, rubbery and flavourless, infact I wondered if they were vegetarian ones as the meat content was so minimal. The mushrooms were huge dried out chunks and the baked beans cheap and sugary. Definitely room for improvement here - very poor. That said that granola pots,small pastries, fresh orange juice and porridge were all very good.
We didn't have time to use the spa or executive lounge so can't comment on either of these.
Can't fault the staff, they were all extremely pleasant and courteous.
Would return as the location is fabulous but would need to be on a good room rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I was very disappointed to read your review of the Cardiff Hilton and I would like to offer you our apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I do appreciate your feedback both positive and negative and this is something that we will certainly take on board and look to make improvements in the near future.

It was great to read your comments regarding the service received and I am very happy to read that you would return to our hotel in the future.

I do look forward to your next visit and if there is something that I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hawarden, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have just retuned after spending two nights at the hotel. We had a very nice room on the fourth floor. The bathroom was large and very clean. Excellent shower and nice fittings. Very comfortable bed. We were on the side of the hotel by the bars, when we went out on Friday night Cardiff was very busy and after reading reviews on Trip Advisor I didn't expect to sleep. We didn't hear a thing. In fact it was one of the quietest hotels I have stayed in, apart from the awful singer in the bar downstairs! The breakfast was fine, plenty of choice. The staff were all very pleasant and chatty. I would stay here again. We didn't use the spa or pool so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It was really great to read your review of our hotel following your visit to Cardiff.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your comments regarding the team here at the hotel.

Looking forward to your next visit and if I can assist please feel free to contact me.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Just returned from our 2nd stay at the Hilton.
We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and had e mailed the hotel several times with requests but never received any replies.
We had booked an executive room and i had e mailed and asked for a quiet room. There was a nice gesture in our room, a card and a few chocolates. ( they did read our e mail)
Unfortunately our room was next to the generator lift so it was noisy. I asked to move rooms after a sllepless night and this was very well organised for us and our cases were moved to our new room while we were out. The reception staff were very good and very helpful. The rooms were ok but was expecting it to be better as it was an executive room and didnt seem any better than the normal room we had on our first stay. The rooms are looking very dated now.
The executive lounge had nice views but was far too small. Saw many people unable to find a seats. I was very disappointed with the afternoon tea in the lounge as it was just a few sweet things. Also there was no diet cokes in the fridge on both days. I asked the girl working in there and she said they didnt have any. But she said the hotel probably did!! She didnt offer to get some. I went back to my room and asked for some to be taken to the lounge. When i went back there they were!!! Excellent service from the reception but very poor from the girl working in the lounge. Also on our first evening in the lounge ( a Thursday) spirits were on the side to help yourself but on the Friday you had to ask the lady working in there for these drinks. People didnt like this and it just made it so difficult for the lady to cope with doing everything. I have to say that this particular member of staff was very nice and hard working. Always asking people if they wanted a drink or some more food. The food was quite nice too. Better on the Friday though! Breakfast I thought was very good for a lounge. Enough in there for anyone. Its just a pity it is a small room which made it difficult to always find a table. Overall it is very good value especially during the week. Maybe an extra hour at the weekend would be good.
The pool area was ok. Like the rest of the hotel though just needs a bit of a make over.
The thing that makes this hotel so good is the position and the service.
The parking is a bit expensive but there really is no where else near to park.
We would stay again if we found another good deal. There are many good hotels in Cardiff now so I feel the Hilton really do need to keep up the standards and be realistic with their pricing.
I was very impressed with how reception dealt with some of our problems that occured and nothing seemed too much trouble.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor and castle view. Away from service lift.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel.

It is disappointing to read your comments regarding the service you received in our Executive Lounge and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you at the time.

We take great pride in our customer service here in the hotel and we will certainly take your comments on board and look for ways to improve our levels of service and facilities.

If I can assist with anything here in Cardiff please do not hesitate to contact me.

Colwyn Bay
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent three nights here on a group tour. Fantastic situated opposite Cardiff Castle, and in the heart of the city. The room was very comfortable, a good nights sleep was had eery night.
Breakfasts were excellent with a fantastic choise. Evening meal, though of limited choise being on a package tour was good and well present. Staff were excellent

Room Tip: Get a room in front of the hotel facing the Castle grounds
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It was really great to see your wonderful review of our hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our facilities and your visit as part of the tour group and it was good to see that you had a comfortable and quiet night's sleep.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

East Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband, myself, my mothiner in law and sister in law had a fabulous time at the Cardiff Hilton! We went to the New Cardiff Theater, and stayed overnight at the hotel. It is one of the nicest and most beautiful hiltons around!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review !

Your comments are really appreciated and this is something that will be shared with all of the team here in Cardiff.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of another visit soon.