“Worth it for the view”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Hurstpierpoint, null, United Kingdom
“Worth it for the view”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Booked a standard double room for one night on a business package, which included breakfast and free wifi. Good location with easy parking (£15 for 24 hours) and lots of restaurants nearby in Mermaid Quay. Air conditioning was rather ineffective but you could open the door onto the balcony to get fresh air. (Although there was a background traffic noise). I liked the access to a balcony that was not overlooked and the room was light and pleasant with a lovely view across the wetlands area and Cardiff Bay. Comfy bed, clean bathroom - would return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Julia D
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us im delighted to hear your were able to relax and take in the views. I have already passed on your comments to the team at St David’s.

General manager
The St David's Hotel & spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I booked an afternoon tea for x4 a week in advance for my friends Hen Do and make it clear upon booking that she needed a gluten free option and was assured that this wouldn't be a problem at all. Upon arriving at the hotel, the dining area past the bar was full of people being served afternoon tea and we were shown to a nice window table. My friends and I all work in hotels so we do understand that it is very easy for little details to be overlooked but it just became ridiculous. Our table was set incorrectly so 2 of us didn't have side plates and 1 of us didn't have a tea cup - just a saucer? Eventually the waiter sorted this out and we chose our teas from the menu which were all lovely. We then had to wait AN HOUR AND A HALF for our sandwiches and cakes There seemed to be no manager presence as the waiters then avoided eye contact as they knew we had been waiting far too long. When I did catch the waiters eye, from across the room I mouthed 'where is the food?' and he shrugged! We were then served stale sandwiches with the cakes followed 5 minutes later by the gluten free option. No apology. No-one asked if everything was ok. I did not make a fuss as I did not want to upset the Bride to be and am only writing this review as I sincerely hope that you can sort this out. For the price I paid for this experience, it was appalling.

Room Tip: Do not book afternoon tea here - expensive and poor service.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank AlexaEvans
Thank you for your constructive feedback, I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to hear that certain elements of your visit did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Hanoi
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Excellent hotel. Staff were excellent and helpful.

Location is superb and the view is truly special, over Penarth and Cardiff Bay. Very enjoyable stay and would recommend. Breakfast and Dinner were both superb and there is plenty to see and do nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your First Class review of our Hotel. Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The St David's Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Andreas M Maszczyk
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We liked this hotel, good room, pleasant staff and overall a nice hotel. We were staying here to look at Cardiff as a venue for our wedding, although we didn't choose this hotel it was very good. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

I wish you the best of luck for your upcoming wedding.

General Manger
St David’s Hotel & Spa
Cardigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights, this is our second stay and I agree with other reviewers that it is becoming somewhat worn and in urgent need of a re vamp.The carpet in our room was worn and stained,we were on the seventh floor and the location and views were amazing,staff were very professional and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed the comfort of the hotel’s unique location and individual service and hope to welcome you back in the near future.I can advise that certain areas of the hotel are currently being refurbished and we hope you choose to return on a future occasion to experience our ongoing investment.

The St David's Hotel & Spa
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the St Davids many times and found that the quality has been deteriorating steadily over the last few years but this last visit was a marked fall in the standards.

It was on one if the hottest evenings of the year and we had booked to see Dolly Parton.

Most rooms have bay/marina views and have a glass wall which can make the rooms very hot. On entering the room it was stifling and we couldn't get the air con to work. A maintenance man eventually arrived and spent an hour inside the ceiling of the room (poor guy) whilst we tried to get ready in the heat. He left but we still could not get the system to work. On leaving for the concert an hour later, we asked the reception staff to move us to a different room or get it fixed.

At midnight we returned to find the room baking hot but it was too late to move. We hardly slept and then found the next morning that the shower head was broken and the shower could only produce a single stream of water like a tap.

A horrible night and an awful shower.

We complained the next morning to Michelle Jones the Guest Relations Manager. She was sympathetic and promised that our next stay would be much better as she would upgrade us free. I only had to call her direct to make my next reservation.

I did so and was offered a rate that turned out to be £13 MORE expensive that I could get by booking through the hotels own website. I pointed this out and was told I could have the website rate if I wanted but no upgrade as the room was cheap enough! Lies and stress are not what you expect from five star hotels.

Stayed July 2014
11 Thank Richardmason
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Second time we've visited. Probable your last. Spa is looking tired and in need of dome TLC. The Master Suit we were in was fine although cleaning needs to be looked at, crumbs over the floor, chewing gum on the back of the information folder. Defiantly needs to have a shake up otherwise could really fall way off the mark.

1 Thank Andy W
Thank you for your feedback and we hope you chose to return on a future visit.