“birthday treat”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Just spent one night here, but had a good night's sleep in a comfy bed. Had a couple of drinks in the bar, with excellent service, but did pay for the privilege! Singer was good. Breakfast was lush, and the afternoon tea looked delightful. A very comfortable hotel with lovely staff, with excellent deals available in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and view of the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay here st St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa, thank you for your kind comments on the hotel and staff, I do hope you re-visit us soon in the future.

Andreas M. Maszczyk.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,025)

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Came here for a 'Double Decadence' spa day with my daughter, on the whole we both really enjoyed it but not sure I would come back, might try somewhere else next time.

We started our day in the gym, and were treated to a 'circuits' session with Andrew, who was very friendly and helpful, and we were suitably knackered by the end of it! Spent the next couple of hours in the pool area, which was pleasant if a little dated. The sauna was really small and rather claustrophobic, but then one can't stay long in there anyway. The spa pool on the other hand was huge and was a highlight as it had very strong jets and you could sit or lie on submerged beds.

We both had an aromatherapy massage and an aromatherapy facial. Neither of us throught the massage was that good, and I am sure my therapist stopped massaging if she thought I was nodding off! Maybe she'd had a long day. The facial on the other hand was really good and included an excellent face and scalp massage, and made up somewhat for the disappointing body massage.

The lunch was included but was very average, however the staff were really nice. The juice bar was a great place to sit as it overlooks the Bay, and there was fruit juice, and tea and coffee to which you could help yourself. The spa relaxation lounge was OK, a little drafty with the air con blasting out. By the end of the day the piped music which played incessantly in very room was starting to get on my nerves, a little too much opera for my taste!

The hotel itself is very modern and has views across Cardiff Bay. At the end of our day we mustered up the energy to walk the 5 minutes to the Cardiff Bay restaurants for supper. All in all an enjoyable and relaxing day, and would recommend but see if you can get a special deal as I paid top rate and not sure it was worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much on your review of our Marine Spa, I am pleased overall your time with us was enjoyable and a relaxing day. I will pass your kind words on to Andrew for you. Thank you once again.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Excellent spa and staff, excellent location and nice rooms. Beware extra ten pounds per day to park and had to wait ten minutes for bill in bar and over thirty mins for breakfast (waitress took order but didnt get to chef!)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear James,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the long wait in regards of your breakfast I will address this with the Restaurant Manager. o n a positive not I am pleased that you enjoyed the Marine Spa, the location and rooms.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My lovely 20 year daughter brought this as a Christmas present for us to spend some quality time together. Excellent customer service throughout and a free upgrade to the top floor with a lovely view over the bay with a balcony. Booked on late rooms at an absolute bargain, if i had to pay full price for a special occasion, i wouldn't hesitate. Recommend highly

Room Tip: We got an automatic grade on a quiet Sunday night, worth asking.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Christmas present from your daughter and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to The St David's Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Andreas M Maszczyk

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed in St Davids Spa Hotel a few times, but this was the best experience we had there. We were celebrating our engagement and brother in-laws 30th birthday. When we arrived a young woman on the front desk checked us in. She couldn't do enough for us. Very polite.Had a gorgeous room. Couldn't ask for better. Had an excellent view.
Went down to the spa in the evening. Very clean and lovely staff. Bar and restaurant really busy. Great atmosphere. Will definatley return again and again. Thank you for a lovely weekend it making it so special.

• Stayed: February 2014

Congratulations on your engagement! I am delighted you chose to spend these special occasions with us at The St David's Hotel & Spa and that the team looked after you so well. A warm welcome awaits your return. Thank you for your review.

Andreas M Maszczyk

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed at the hotel past weekend in the top floor suite. It was absolutely amazing! Would definitely recommend booking a suite, it has floor to ceiling windows and the view to Cardiff bay is amazing to wake up to. The suite is large with a separate living area and two balconies. Definitely a luxury experience for a special occasion. We arrived Friday evening and decided to go to Tempus for a well deserved bottle of wine and bar food. Tempus had a good atmosphere in the evening with live singer at the bar. The next day I had a massage booked at the Spa, some initial teething problems trying to book the massage but they were quickly sorted by the manager by managing to fit me in for an hour treatment on Saturday morning. If visiting at the weekend, I would recommend booking the spa well in advance as it does get busy. The massage was amazing and Chantelle and Amy at the spa were a pleasure to deal with. In the evening went for a three course meal in Tempus and couldn't fault the food at all! It was amazing, we were having such a great time that we moved from the restaurant to the bar and stayed there till 2am. On Sunday decided to spend some time at Cardiff City, a small but cute city for sure. Was very sad to leave on Monday as the suite almost seemed like my own apartment to me after three days. The best night sleep as well as the beds are very comfy! The only minor thing is that the extra items at breakfast apart from the buffet such as omelettes etc cost £5 for residents, which I would expect in a 5 star hotel to be free of charge. We still managed to spend nearly two hours at breakfast though just enjoying the food, coffee, conversation and the amazing view. All in all it was a fab weekend and I will definitely return to St David's next time I am in Cardiff, hopefully in summer when I can enjoy the outside seating for all my meals.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view to Cardiff Bay
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amrita M
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at St. David's Hotel & Marine Spa, it was encouraging to read that your suite felt like your own apartment. I will pass your kind comments on to Amy and Chantelle.

We look forward to your return in the the summer.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Came with a friend on a spa package and overnight stay. Attractive hotel in prime position with views from every aspect from floor to ceiling windows. Immediate welcome from friendly, well-trained staff in main hotel. Spa reception not particularly welcoming or special but facilities clean, though ladies' changing room very functional rather than comfortable. Signage on doors throughout virtually non-existent so if you don't know where you're going don't expect to find out without asking someone! The back massage for 55 minutes was fabulous and the lunch area had stunning views over the bay. The spa facilities are good and though there's no steam room there's enough to do to keep occupied in between lounging about and drinking tea, coffee or juices. The main hotel is very impressive with its high atrium and views from all windows. The staff are attentive and not intrusive. The bedroom we had on the fifth floor was roomy, comfortable and well equipped with its own balcony with fantastic views across the marina. The spa package food was very tasty but the menu was very 70's -soup, prawn cocktail etc. which was disappointing and lacking in choice. Breakfast -not part of package but included in room rate - was substantial, well-served by attentive staff and the choice was varied. I wouldn't class this as a five star hotel but certainly a very good four star in a cracking location.

Room Tip: Ask for one as high up as possible for the stunning views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karin D

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed the Marine Spa including your massage and the other facilities including the relaxation room and poolside. I will discuss your feedback with our team.

We look forward to your return.