“Business and pleasure” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Milan, Italy
“Business and pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on business, and I was impressed both with the hotel facilities and the staff. The room used for the meeting had all the facilities required and the lunch and refreshments was of a very high standard.

Jeff the concierge, was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I only have 2 issues with this hotel: that in these modern times wifi is chargeable after a painfully slow free 30minutes, and the lights in the room have to be switched off individually not by the control at side of bed.

I was not able to use the spa, but would do so in a heart beat if there on pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review . Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your stay while on business. I will of course pass your kind comments on to Jeff for you.

I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Andreas Maszczyk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Malvern
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay at St. David's Hotel. The staff were exceptionally friendly and informal. We were there as part of our Golden Wedding celebration and several staff, obviously aware of the occasion, took time to congratulate us and even left a suitable card in the bedroom. We were allocated one of their best suites with superb views of Cardiff Bay. The evening meal was excellent as was the breakfast, with a wide range of options (which you should expect at £18.50 a head!) The pool was impressive, too, again with lovely views of the Bay.
A few things could be improved, however. We had rather a long wait for our starter in the restaurant and an 'amuse bouche' or even a few nibbles would have been welcome (as is now customary in many quality restaurants). Also it is rather mean when diners have to pay for bread - which is usually an essential accompaniment to most starter items.
Another issue which the hotel might like to consider is that it is not ideal to have the bar area adjoining the restaurant. When we were eating there were several quite noisy groups in the bar area. It would have been better if diners had been seated in the bigger part of the restaurant area further away from the bar.
A point about breakfast. St. David - the patron saint of Wales. 'A Welsh breakfast', according to the menu. We were, therefore, taken aback to find FRENCH butter on the table as if Wales doesn't produce excellent butter. Would any French restaurant have Welsh butter? No way! And also it would add to the Welsh experience if the labels on the hot food containers were in Welsh as well as English (and we did note that in the hotel many of the signage was in Welsh and English - excellent!)
Overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay and we shall certainly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay here at St David's Hotel & Spa. And i just want to congratulate you again on your Golden Wedding Anniversary. I will pass your comments on to my team and look into those matters you have picked up on.

Andreas Maszczyk.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We booked a lovely package via the internet using a trip advisor deal. We had a nice room on the 7th floor. The staff were great and very helpful and wonderfully welcoming. We didn't eat in the restaurant but had room service breakfast as a part of our package and it was passable but just. The spa was lovely and while not top notch was a lovely addition to our day. The views are nice out to Mermaid Queue and the bay. Will stay again. Great location for Dr. Who, the opera, water taxis, bay tours

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities that St. David's Hotel & Spa has to offer.

I do hope we get to welcome you back to the hotel.

Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This review only relates to the Marine Spa at St Davids Hotel.
I went to the Marine Spa on Thursday 12th September for a spa day purchase on Groupon. However I have to say that the overall experience was not great or particularly relaxing.
Firstly the gym itself is not well equipped for this level of hotel, the pool area is tired looking and there are not enough beds to accommodate people of enough placed to hang your robe (had to place ours on the floor). The refreshments are sparse and as for lunch.......you used to be able to sit down than then help yourself, which was much quicker than the new way of being served. There was only one person serving and a very full waves restaurant. The quality and amount of food was very poor, we pre-ordered chicken wraps but there was little to no chicken. One lady open her chicken wrap and found absolutely no chicken what so ever. The treatments I had were very good however my friends therapist was not as good and she did not enjoy her treatment.
I would seriously consider going to the Marine spa in the future if the overall experience is not improved. For a 5 star hotel this is a real let down.

Room Tip: I have ONLY reviewed the spa as I am local.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review on the marine Spa. I will pass your comments on to our Spa Manager and action your comments as a matter of urgency and look into this further.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Shockingly bad service, food quality is dreadful and they cannot even lay a table or provide cutlery. Overpriced, poor quality and cold food .... There are many better restaurants than this in Cardiff

• Stayed September 2013
      Cleanliness
Thank you for your review. I will address your matter to my team and act on this straight away.

Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I remember this Hotel opening and visited for a Wedding Reception but did not do an overnight stay.It was then very new and looked nice and fresh but even then I was then struck by the high cost of drinks which were being charged.
Recently I did a return visit plus an overnight stay and was somewhat disappointed.The bedrooms are spacious and clean and beds and sleep comfort good.However the communal areas are now looking pretty tired and in need of a major make over.The breakfast was of good quality and plentiful and so no problems there.However the price of bar drinks was astronomical and to be charged for car parking when you are staying overnight is in my view total exploitation.In overall terms I consider that the Hotel is overpriced on both room rate and bar tariff for the quality which is offered.
I guess that Company Account holders need not be bothered however for us lesser mortals we need to be more searching.The night before my 9 year old son and I stayed in a Premier Inn just up the road for £43 per night including a first class breakfast (with no car parking charge) a lovely room with excellent sleep quality.Compare that with the overnight rates you will be quoted here?
In short this hotel is overpriced for the product which it delivers.If you are not bothered about that then no problems.If you are then my advice is shop around!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for review. I have taken on board your comments and will discuss this with my team.

We do hope you will return in the near future.

Andreas Masczcyk
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

we stayed at this hotel 13\09\13 for my wifes 40th birthday, and to say i have stayed in better travel lodges would be an understatement, dirty outdated room, the whole hotel looks like it hasnt been touched since it was built over 20 years agp

2 Thank Dean G
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Please accept my apologies for your disappointment, particularly as it was for such a special occasion. It is not clear whether you brought any issues to the attention of the Duty Manager during your stay but I would be happy to discuss any concerns with you.

In the meantime, we are currently undergoing an intense refurbishment plan and I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the future to experience our ongoing investment.

Andreas Maszczyk