“Don't waste your money!”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Shockingly bad service, food quality is dreadful and they cannot even lay a table or provide cutlery. Overpriced, poor quality and cold food .... There are many better restaurants than this in Cardiff

• Stayed: September 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. I will address your matter to my team and act on this straight away.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I remember this Hotel opening and visited for a Wedding Reception but did not do an overnight stay.It was then very new and looked nice and fresh but even then I was then struck by the high cost of drinks which were being charged.
Recently I did a return visit plus an overnight stay and was somewhat disappointed.The bedrooms are spacious and clean and beds and sleep comfort good.However the communal areas are now looking pretty tired and in need of a major make over.The breakfast was of good quality and plentiful and so no problems there.However the price of bar drinks was astronomical and to be charged for car parking when you are staying overnight is in my view total exploitation.In overall terms I consider that the Hotel is overpriced on both room rate and bar tariff for the quality which is offered.
I guess that Company Account holders need not be bothered however for us lesser mortals we need to be more searching.The night before my 9 year old son and I stayed in a Premier Inn just up the road for £43 per night including a first class breakfast (with no car parking charge) a lovely room with excellent sleep quality.Compare that with the overnight rates you will be quoted here?
In short this hotel is overpriced for the product which it delivers.If you are not bothered about that then no problems.If you are then my advice is shop around!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for review. I have taken on board your comments and will discuss this with my team.

We do hope you will return in the near future.

Andreas Masczcyk

Reviewed September 15, 2013

we stayed at this hotel 13\09\13 for my wifes 40th birthday, and to say i have stayed in better travel lodges would be an understatement, dirty outdated room, the whole hotel looks like it hasnt been touched since it was built over 20 years agp

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dean G
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Please accept my apologies for your disappointment, particularly as it was for such a special occasion. It is not clear whether you brought any issues to the attention of the Duty Manager during your stay but I would be happy to discuss any concerns with you.

In the meantime, we are currently undergoing an intense refurbishment plan and I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the future to experience our ongoing investment.

Andreas Maszczyk

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Im here right now and while everything is clean there are stains on the curtains & carpet. Moss on the balcony. I have been to better 4 star hotels. Location is good however for the same price as Celtic Manor I wouldn't come again. Not quite sure how its got 5 star status. Greeting at the door is standard for 5 star but they don't even have that. Room wise the only thing you don't get in the travelodge is 2 welsh cakes that's

1  Thank owestyo
Reviewed September 12, 2013

After booking this hotel for a birthday treat, I was impressed with the first impression of the reception, bar etc but after waiting 45 mins after our check in time I became a little worried. The room was satisfactory and the view to die for. However the bathroom was disappointing and the balcony, with no seating, was a disgrace with rust, dirty sails and very worn, tired and flaking decking. We decided as a treat to eat in the hotel restaurant on the evening and were not made aware that we had to book, we arrived at 7.45 and were told we had to wait till nine for a table so we sat in the bar and watched an empty table for two stay like that the whole time we sat in the bar, only to be told an 9 o clock it was our table ! After sending my under cooked steak back, I could not believe my second steak was the same so again sent it back, we asked for the restaurant manager to speak to us, and after looking at my steak agreed it was under cooked. I didn't pay for my steak but that wasn't the point, as my husband had basically ate his meal alone. The pool facilities were not that nice and I think it could do with a bloody good clean and the staff at the spa were not particularly helpful. I have since e mailed this hotel to tell them of my disappointment, not once but twice and they have not even had the good manners to reply. Needless to say I would never stay here again or recommend it unless a room with a view is the number one priority . All in all st davids, not good enough, shame on you !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wenders46

Thank you for your review. I m pleased that your first impressions of our lobby and bar were impressionable and I thank you for your comments.

I was however disappointed to read your further comments and will of course discuss the same with my team. We have not received your e-mail but I will be happy to discuss your concerns personally if you contact me directly.

In the meantime please accept my apologies and I hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence and welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Andreas Maszczyk

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am lucky enough to stay in a few 5 Star hotels in my life and whilst I am sure this is what St. David's Hotel and Spa is rated by them, I am not so sure. Yes the rooms are spacious, the views are great, the hotel surroundings are good. However, it just lacked something - a little bit of sparkle. There is no atmosphere in the main reception area, just a large open space that echoes. The bar area is OK, but again it just misses the mark.

Our room was good - large and airy. Bathroom was small considering the room size and I had expected a separate shower. We did book a more expensive room, so this was a disappointment. Large room for two people, so why only 1 comfy chair to sit on? Weird. Iron and ironing board - great thanks. Balcony was dirty, but the weather wasn't brilliant so we didn't sit out, but there were no chairs there to do so. H&S?

Breakfast selection was good and the staff were very friendly. Reception staff were very helpful. We didn't use the spa - prices seemed steep, but most hotels with spas have high prices for treatments.

We will return? Yes as we enjoyed the location and overall the hotel was good. 4 star, but not 5 star.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janew662
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location and the views that St. David's Hotel &Spa has to offer. Your comments will be of course shared with our team.

We hope to welcome you back very soon in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a Fab Spa Day as part of a Groupon Deal what an excellent hotel and Spa lovely views of Cardiff Bay

My Sister and I were particularly impressed with the staff and the level of service especially in the restaurant where we had a delicious meal served by a very efficient and friendly young lady Robyn Lee who is a graduate trainee and I am sure will be an asset to the management of the hotel

Thanks to everyone in the hotel for an enjoyable special day with my sister we have stayed at the hotel before and will definitely be returning

Mad Mel

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you so much for your recent positive review on the Marine Spa. Your comments will be passed on to the spa team and especially Robyn from the restaurant. I would like to thank you once again.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.