“Many plus points but the hot and humid airless pool area lets it down”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
gloucestershire
“Many plus points but the hot and humid airless pool area lets it down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed several times and was there from 28 to 30 August with my 3 daughters. Lots of good points about the hotel & some great staff but each time we go the whole pool area seems more airless and stifling. Nobody stays more than a few minutes on the sun loungers, everyone looks red-faced and listless.
I politely raised this on 29th August in the Spa reception asking to open the outside door by the pool. The 2 staff there were quite dismissive and just not interested saying that door was not allowed to be open. No reason given.
At least talk to your residents - its a problem so easy to fix !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TANGOGloucestershire
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for review. I am so sorry for issue regarding the spa. I would like to thank you for raising this and i will personally look into this as a matter of urgency.

we hope to welcome you back.

Andreas Masczcyk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Let me say this is still a lovely hotel in a great location. But ...it's showing signs of wear and tear and would benefit from a little bit of TLC. Service in the restaurant also needs sorting out.That said don't be put off particularly if you book one of the hotels package deals, which are good value. The spa and pool are great and offer great views of the bay. Ideal for a weekend break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gill M
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed the views that St David's Hotel & Spa has to offer. I will pass your feedback to my team.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Andreas Masczcyk.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I Booked the hotel and spa day as a treat for my girlfriend and she loved it! I booked the spa day using a Groupon voucher (was too expensive without this). The room was booked on expedia website as it was cheaper than advertised on the hotels website. It was the first time we had stayed in a 5 star hotel and it lived up to our expectations. The room and bathroom were excellent, with lots of extras such as dressing gowns, hot chocolate etc. £10 charge for overnight parking. The Spa day was amazing with two 25 min treatments and full use of the other facilities. We had a two course evening meal included and both our meals were gorgeous. The groupon voucher meant it was exceptional value, wouldn't like to imagine how much everything would have cost otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you and your girlfriend had a "lovely stay" with us at The St David's Hotel & Spa. Keep an eye out for future offers and we very much hope to see both again soon.

South West
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband & I spent the day here as part of a Groupon offer. To be totally honest I think the cost was excessive for what we received HOWEVER don't be put off, looking at the notices on display you can get some fantastic deals in the spa here. I do feel the treatments could be a little longer for the money, we were just starting to relax into our treatment of 25 minutes and it was all over - the treatments don't seem to be uniform for the spa. My husband & I both had a massage & facial. We had the same person for his massage & my facial & neither of us were very happy with our treatment by her, I had the facial from her & after comparing afterwards his facial was much, much better than the one I received. The spa has good facilities and is very clean. To relax with the cup of tea or juice admiring the views across the bay in the juice bar was lovely and the relaxation room was good, the loungers and duvets were a great place to snuggle down for a snooze or get lost in a book although I do agree with other comments that it would benefit from staff telling guests about it from outside of the room rather than keep opening the door and disturbing the occupants. The pool area is fantastic and we were here on a busy Saturday and it never felt over crowded when we were in there. The changing rooms are spotless and have all the things you could possibly need from a changing room, shampoo, shower gel, costume dryer, bags to put your wet costumes into, hairdryers and finally the lunch, it was really nice and we were certainly full up after it and the area where you sit and eat also looks out over the bay and whilst we didn't have the weather to sit out there was a lovely terrace to sit outside and enjoy the views further over lunch. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and professional. All in all we had a fantastic relaxing day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your day with us at The Marine Spa and your kind comments have been shared with the team. We hope to see you both again soon.

Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed there after our wedding. We were upgraded to a suite which was absolutely stunning. There were views across Cardiff bay towards the barrage and Penarth. We were welcomed by a bottle of champagne on ice.

I've stayed in many hotels and this is definitely THE best hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review and I am delighted you enjoyed the start of your marriage with us here at The St David's Hotel & Spa. Congratulations and Best Wishes to you both and we hope to see you again soon.

Caerleon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have often talked about going to the St David's Hotel to eat, but because it is so close to home, it has taken us a long time to actually get around to going there. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the cocktails were delightful and the food was stunning, with a spectacular view from the table. We are definitely going again, but next time we are staying the night too. Why did we wait so long to eat in Tempus at Tides!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your excellent review following your recent dining experience here at Tempus at The St David's Hotel & Spa. Your top score is much appreciated and I am delighted you finally got to experience our lovely restaurant. Don't leave it too long next time when a warm welcome awaits your return.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed for 1 night over August Bank Holiday and we had a great stay. The hotel had alot of events going on when we arrived (2 weddings and the extreme sailing event) and although the hotel had a sign saying the car park was full when we went into reception someone came out and moved the sign for us to park, which was a good start. We arrived early and although our room was not ready, our luggage was stored and we went for a walk. It wasnt long before the hotel telephoned me to say our room was ready.
Our room had perfect views over Cardiff Bay and we had a fantastic view of the sailing event sitting on our balcony. The room was clean, a good size and the amenities were really good within the room (iron, safe, coffee making facilities, toiletries, magazines, comp water ect). Our bed was also very comfortable and we had a very good nights sleep. Although you can only sign in for 30 mins free wifi at a time, when it expires you can sign back in so technically there is free wifi.
The reason I would not give 5* is because breakfast although nice was a little chaotic and there was not alot of choice in meats, cheese, bread, preserves or pastries and I had a queue a while for scrambled egg. Our plates were also not cleared during breafast and we were not asked if we wanted anything or if our food was ok. The other reasons were the spa area, I thought there would have been a sauna and steam room but there was only a sauna. The pool area was also a little grubby and was odd in design, with metal steps and bridges to climb in everywhere which is not good for those with mobility problems. When we returned to the hotel for our keys, I asked for our luggage and we were advised that it had already been taken to our room, however; when we got to our room it was not there and I had to phone reception and it was brought up later. Also we had to take out chairs out onto the balcony to sit and as it is Summer it would have been nice to have some chairs and a table on the balcony. Those were my only concerns other than the outside of the hotel which also looked a little unkempt.
The hotel is in a prime position in Cardiff bay and is perfect for a weekend break as there are soo many bars and restaurants within walking distance. There are also boat trips around the bay, Penarth and also into Cardiff city centre which looked great.
I would definately recommend the hotel and would be happy to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and in particular our unique location in Cardiff Bay. Your comments have been noted and will of course be shared with the team.

Your recommendations are much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.