“Less money than a B&B, more fun than Faulty Towers!”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Less money than a B&B, more fun than Faulty Towers!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We got a bargain 2 night stay as a B&B deal. The hotel was very good, staff helpful, room spacious and clean, with excellent views!

There were several comedy moments - the best = breakfast, the waiter who was not dissimilar to Manuel, offered additonal itmes to be cooked, that were not on the menu (always smiling). 25 minutes later, full of apologies (still smiling) came back with a burnt peice of paper explaining that the chef had accidently dropped down the back of an appliance! Re-took our order with the "additional" items (still smiling) and returnd 10 minutes later with a completly different breakfast (still smiling). How could we do anything but smile back and enjoy this comedy moment.

Hotel was great - leisure facility top drawer and at the price I have recommended to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave T
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your review! Obviously this is not the ideal level of service we like to offer at St David's but your humourous take on the incident is most refreshing! Thank you ever so much for the recommendations and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Another nice stay at St Davids Hotel but very disappointed with our shabby room. My husband and i stayed last year for our anniversary and we had (what we now learned to be one of the few recently renovated rooms) a lovely room on the first floor with a fab view. I loved the room so much that we decided to return again for our second anniversary and requested the same room. When we arrived they told me that we had been upgraded to a room on the top floor despite me asking again for our ground floor room. It was disappointingly shabby and although it was clean the chairs were falling apart & the whole room was really dated and certainly lacking that luxurious feel despite paying luxury prices!!! I really love the hotel & views & the staff are always so helpful but we won't be returning until it has had some much needed renovation work.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your observations which have been noted and will be shared with my management team. I am pleased you continue to enjoy the service offered by the staff but apologise for your disappointment with your upgraded room and very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again to witness our ongoing investment.

Nottingham Uk
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here several times before and always enjoy it. However the hotel is showing signs of age and really does need some maintenance. Stains on the sheets and a ripped bathrobe is not what I expect from a five star.

The breakfast was ok but I've had better in a premier inn for less than half the price. Got a good price for 2 nights direct with the hotel so can't complain.

Good weather also a bonus.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your review, the contents of which have been discussed with my management team. Please accept my apologies for any shortfalls in service on this occasion and I can assure you that necessary action will be taken in this regard.

doncaster south yorkshire
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for three nights for the Cardiff Bay festival what a delight this hotel is . The reception staff are a joy always smiling and friendly to guests . The rooms are large and clean with plenty of space there's also two comfy chairs and a table near the large glass windows to watch the boats in the bay . As we come to the festival each year for my husbands business this is our third visit to the hotel . Each day there was a wedding and other parties but we were never troubled by noise at night.

Room Tip: Book a room with a bay view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during the Cardiff Festival and particularly the spectacular views from your room into the bay. We very much look forward to seeing you again next year. Thank you for your review.

Plymouth
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel is now over 10 years old but retains a very contemporary feel. Jeff the concierge was magnificent as he had cordoned off a parking space awaiting our arrival and met us as we drove up to the hotel entrance. Check in was speedy and Jeff arrived with our bags at the room shortly afterward. The room was disappointing in that it was looking "tired". The curtains were dirty and the carpet looked as though it was coming up from the floor. That said, the bed was clean and comfortable and the room was spacious with tea, coffee, water and magazines. The view was exceptional looking out across Cardiff bay.The bathroom was well stocked with quality toiletries and towels were soft and plentiful. Dressing gowns and slippers were supplied and handy for trips to the Spa. My wife had a massage at the Spa which she said was among one of the best she had received anywhere in the world and the pool facilities were very good though noisy with the large jacuzzi bubbling away and the power water showers constantly running.

The restaurant though poorly laid out and directly adjoining the bar prompted thoughts of a poor meal to come but I was really surprised at the high standard of dinner. Service was exemplary from Nicola, who was both patient and entertaining as it did take us a while to order. The food was beatifully presented and exceptionally tasty. Tim the Bar Manager even managed to discover a requested wine that was not on the menu; top marks. Breakfast was a buffet affair and Ania, served us very well.

My overall impression was that the staff do their utmost to make you welcome and as comfortable as possible. Rooms could be a little smarter, contemporary should not always mean minimalist. Glass needs to be cleaned especially on a coastal property, and certain areas need to be redecorated. Top marks to the staff, not so for the property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Your kind comments have been shared with those members of staff you mentioned in particularly and indeed the rest of the team. I am delighted they were able to look after you and your comments are much appreciated, particularly in relation to the service you received on your arrival, in the spa, restaurant and bar.

We very much hope to see you again soon.

Edinburgh
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Hi I recently had a stay at this hotel ,it was a good stay and only 3 things let it down in my opinion.

1. I stayed in room 310 and the sealant was starting to come of the bath and bottom if bath , it was also going a bit mouldy . Trivial yes but if you are 5 star then you don't expect things like this.

2. The ventilation in the bathroom was almost non existent and when you came out the shower it was almost too hard to breath and even after a bit of time the bathroom was still too hot and clammy , again trivial but something you don't expect with a 5 star hotel.

3. When I arrived I was asked if I had a debit or credit card ? When I said debit I was told that I can pay as I go so couldn't charge things to my room . I'm sorry but that really isn't good enough, every 4 or 5 star establishment I have ever stayed at has taken some sort of prepayment and allowed me to charge things to my room , makes things a lot easier . I was really disappointed in this .

In summary I enjoyed the facilities at the hotel but the points I raised above somewhat took away my overall enjoyment of the hotel and raises a doubt wether I'd use the hotel when back in cardiff again. Again if you put a 5 star above your hotel then you expect 5 star treatment at all times and in all things , not just most things .

Kind regards

Scott Buchan

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay.

I have noted your comments and do hope these were brought to our attention at the time to enable us to rectify them immediately. In the meantime please accept my apologies for your disappointment.

In relation to the credit card pre-authorisation, this is a standard hotel operating procedure due to the pre-authorisation taking several days to release which of course is not ideal on a debit card.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Although the pictures online looked a lot more fancy than the hotel looked in "real life", it was still a very classy stay, and very clean. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on in any hotel/b&b, maybe even more comfortable than my bed at home! The indoor pool and spa was fantastic, I highly recommend it and the service received throughout the hotel was excellent. The location is perfect with lovely views and very convenient and cheap transport links to Cardiff city and attractions, as well as a lot of choices of restaurants in short walking distance. We had to pay extra for parking, but this was not a problem, as we found that the car park next to the hotel's allocated lot, worked out cheaper for a 24 hour stay at around £7 or so. An all round great experience and a highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are lovely, but those with a bay view are just as nice, so it doesn't real...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks ever so much for your kind review which is much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and your recommendations are very welcome. We hope to see you again soon.