St David's Hotel was clean and modern with nice rooms but somewhat lacking in atmosphere. The room was spacious and nicely decorated, the bathroom was good quality, and we'd chosen a sea view which was nice.
We got a spa package in addition to our room which included two treatments which were relaxing. The swimming pool and various jacuzzi's were lovely and the views from the pool were beautiful. There were nice sun loungers by the pool which added to the experience - and robes were provided in our room which meant we could get the lift directly down to the spa which was a nice touch.
The restaurant had a lot more ambience than the rest of the hotel - it was candlelit and the staff were really friendly. The food was nice but not amazing - I had fish with a hollandaise sauce which was the consistency of butter so not quite what I expected. The hotel is close to a good selection of waterfront cafes/restaurants but around 2 miles from the centre of town so we realised we'd need a taxi to go into the centre.
The reception desk were very friendly, and when we asked if a late checkout was possible (at check in) they were very happy to accommodate us and arranged it for 1pm. It was therefore very frustrating the next day when we were in the lift about 11.35am to see a porter with a list of rooms, of which ours was one. I said "Oh we're on your list" and he said "and you'll be leaving us soon?". Clearly he was making door to door trips to manage people who had missed checkout. He was perfectly courteous and when I explained we had a late checkout he made a note of it. However, the whole experience of feeling that we were about to be reprimanded for missing checkout, having already arranged a late one the day left us with a really uncomfortable feeling. Overall, we'd choose an alternative Cardiff hotel for a romantic break but I'd be happy to stay at St David's for a work trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. David's Hotel is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The St. David's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel Cardiff, Wales