“Lovely afternoon tea!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Wales, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon tea!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited the restaurant with a friend as a birthday celebration. We had the champagne afternoon tea. It was £26 each, which seemed quite pricey so we had high expectations. It didn't disappoint! The service was fantastic throughout our visit. There was a wide range of teas to choose from and the staff seemed to know their stuff! We are vegetarians and were provided with egg mayonnaise, cheese and tomorrow sandwiches. My only criticism is that the cheese and tomato sandwiches were a bit boring! Literally just bread and cheddar cheese and bread and tomato. After this, we were presented with a cart loaded with a wide variety of cakes and tarts. We were allowed to choose three kinds each. I had the lemon tart which was beautiful (and not enough!), a slice of coffee cake and a scone which was served with fresh cream and jam. All in all it was a lovely experience and I will definitely visit again!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank L87SW
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit to us for Afternoon Tea. I am delighted you enjoyed the St David's experience and we very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

this is a world class hotel in a fantastic location, the service was the best we have experienced in a hotel in many years. Fantastic room, world class facilities.. we loved staying here and will do so again. The staff were just wonderful, helpful, knowledgeable and very polite. The view from the room was amazing and the location is just perfect, a short walk to a wide range of bars and restaraunts. .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizziea664
Thank you for your first class review of our hotel. Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise to the team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments. Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to St David’s once again in the near future.

Graemen Barclay
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for a second time and travelled with 3 other couples. The four rooms we booked were ready on our arrival and one of the rooms had been upgraded to a junior suite. The rooms have beautiful bathrooms, fabulous views over the bay and are well laid out. The hotel has a cocktail bar which is popular with non residents too and as such is busy and has a great atmosphere.
The ony criticism I have is that the breakfast was not the best quality but there was plenty of it.
Throughout our stay the service was exemplary from the valet to room service. Wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kim g
Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us which I have shared with the team. I am delighted you enjoyed all that St David's has to offer and that the team were able to look after you throughout your stay, however I apologise if there was an issue with breakfast.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I'm going to agree with other reviews here that say it's probably more of a 4 star hotel, not a genuine 5 star experience. That's not to say we had any major issues, just the overall feel of the place, I personally wouldn't call it a 5 star hotel. The breakfast was really quite poor for a hotel of this quality, I would say that is really letting them down. All of it was cold, the toast, egg (which was like a bullet) and bacon, and I think the coffee was too! I can't understand why they're serving up such a substandard breakfast when the dinner coming from the same kitchen was excellent. My guess is they're cooking it all in bulk early, then letting it sit and get cold/hard. But, for a five star hotel, I expect them to fry me a fresh egg. It was actually a worse breakfast than the canteen at my work place, and trust me, that's going some...
Onto more positive things, the rooms were really worth the price in my opinion, for the amazing views, and also the size and comfort. We had an issue with noisy neighbours on the first night, which I'd like to stress was really not the hotel's fault, it was some drunken wedding guests that we had the misfortune of being next door to. They were told immediately by the night staff to shut up, when I phoned down at 3am to complain, but unfortunately they didn't, so we had a sleepless night. As I say, this is not the hotel's fault, I can't expect them to evict another paying guest at 3am, all they can do is ask them, and if that doesn't work, they're in a difficult situation. To make it up to use, they upgraded us for free to the master executive suite, which was several hundred pounds more than the room we'd paid for, so that really made up for our first night being ruined by [--]. Both rooms were excellent, very comfy beds, nice big size (obviously the suite being massive compared to what I'm used to!). The balcony in the first normal room was small but nice, I agree with other reviews that some seating would be nice, but I understand why they can't. We just dragged the chair from the room out anyway.. The balcony on the suite was much bigger, and had table and chairs, was really nice to sit out in the sun in the morning and enjoy the spectacular view of Cardiff Bay.
Didn't use the spa apart from the swimming pool, it was empty when we went down first thing, and we enjoyed it.
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel, and I probably would stay here again, hopefully on a night when they have no weddings going on! My main advise would be to not bother paying for the breakfast, it's rubbish, and you're better off walking over to the Bay area (5 min walk tops) and choose one of the millions of cafes, bars, restaurants to have your breakfast in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team were able to look after you after a disturbed night. To confirm, had you brough the repeated disturbance to our attention again, we would of course have approached the guests again, or alternatively made a desicion regarding the mutual respect that is required at that time in the morning.

I note your comments in relation to breakfast and apologise for your disappointment. I hope you will appreciate that as your stay was in May it is difficult for me to investigate your claims now however for future reference a Duty Manager is on shift 24/7 to resolve any issues immediately. I have however passed your comments to my respective Managers for review.

Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you back to St David's in the future.

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I had a lovely surprise when i was taken here for my birthday in may :D we have previously stayed at the hotel in November 2011, for my partners birthday (when we got upgraded!! That was a stunning suite & a fantastic birthday for him).
We got a nice room on 5th floor this stay. The view over the reserve was lovely & as the weather was nice it would have been nice to sit out on the balcony but we had no chairs! Only chairs from inside the room which were heavy.
We got a bottle of rose in the package- which was lovely.
We have had food on both occassions we stayed & both times have enjoyed so much! We say its the best food we have had. This time there was a singer, who we really enjoyed. He sang classics, new songs- a good mix! And such a lovely view overlooking the barrage. See my view for breakfast to appreciate!
We made full use of the pool, sauna & jacquzzi! We had a massage each last time, which we both enjoyed, but this time decided to make use of the sun & explore Penarth.
It was such a lovely stay! Im hoping to come back again soon

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 410AngharadJ
Thank you ever so much for your kind review and I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us for your birthday . I am pleased that once again you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and particularly the live singer in the bar which is indeed very popular.

A warm welcome awaits your next stay.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Chosen because it was near the glee club and had a spa the price was good but only because use spa was included. Didn't opt for breakfast as the price is rediculous. Room was lovely. Bar was lovely as we're the staff . Would go again

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the Marine Spa.

Breakfast, priced at £12 if pre-ordered, includes a full Welsh cooked breakfast, a continental buffet, fresh pastries and bread, fresh fruit and yogurts, cereals, juices and of course tea and toast.

I am pleased to hear that you will return to St David's in the future and we look forward to welcoming you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I came here late April as a surprise from my boyfriend for my birthday, I was always told st.davids was the best hotels in Cardiff but never experienced it before. Upon arrival, we were expecting a deluxe room but when asked what is the occasion and explained it was my birthday we was upgraded unexpectedly to a suite. Entered our room with a bottle of champagne and chocolates and it was a wonder. Even bringing up presents that my grandparents had sent to the hotel prior to being there. The spa was amazing me and my boyfriend didn't want to leave. The breakfast was exceptional as well. Couldn't complain one little bit. Well worth the money.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you ever so much for your kind review which has been shared with the team. I am delighted you and your boyfriend enjoyed your birthday treat and that the team looked after you so well.

We hope to see you again soon.