“Pleasant experience”

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Laguna Niguel, California
“Pleasant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Spent 2 nites in hotel in early May, 2013. Part of a week-long visit to Wales. Hotel was wonderful and spa facilities/personnel great.
Parking at 10 pounds/nite was a little excessive.
Prices for room, facilities and food were as expected.
Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you ever so much for your review and your top score which is very much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and a warm welcome awaits your return.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Rooms are ok but nothing much better that a Premier Inn, the beds are more comfortable though. Service in the bar area is VERY SLOW, not particually busy but had to wait 15 minutes and still no service so had to go and find someone although lots of staff milling around, bar covered in cups, glasses and plates for long periods of time. Food no great shakes, I had fish and chips not worth the £14 batter very soggy. View over Cardiff bay is nice, but no chairs or table on the balcony. Overall disapionting for what's supposed to be a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: For the price stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the outstanding views that St David's has to offer and also the comfort of your bed, which of course is most importance!

I do however apologise for your disappointment with your meal and the bar service you received and hope that you brought these issues to the attention of the Duty Manager at the time.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future to restore your confidence with our usual high standards of service.

Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

To book use www.thestdavidshotel.com. The .co.uk. web site is a very convincing clone and you will pay a booking fee.
Should you book? yes but look out for discounts.
Rooms clean and well equipped and service very good.
Did not dine in hotel, other than breakfast which was very extensive and good.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should ask for for one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your review and your observation which is currently under investigation whilst we review our current domain names and URL sites.

Indeed a reservation can be made with us directly at www.principal-hayley.com or www.thestdavidshotel.com.

In the meantime I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and particularly your bedroom and breakfast. We hope to see again soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 night stay, on entry to the hotel the reception area feels modern & quite grand. We got to our room but it was late & dark so didn't really see it properly until morning. We went down to the bar for a late drink (11ish) & it was quite busy. There were empty tables full of plates & glasses ect. We sat with friends but the dishes were hanging around until really late. Breakfast service & food was good. We were attending an event in the hotel on that day & the bar service was appalling, they served us eventually with an opened bottle of warm water that we asked to get changed. There seems to be plenty of staff around but throughout the day the reception became full of rubbish & bottles. We went to get a table in the Restraunt at 8 but they said there was no room but you can get bar food. We sat next to the Restraunt until 2pm & there were plenty of empty tables. We also ate in the bar off the Restraunt menu. The rooms are tired & the service is slow. We spent around £600 in this hotel over the weekend but only got 2 star treatment.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your review and your comments regarding the grand and modern entrance to the hotel.

I am disappointed however with the unacceptable service you received, particularly the bar service and I have passed the same to my Beverage Manager for further investigation. In the meantime please accept my apologies for this shortfall.

I very much hope we can welcome you back to St David's in the future to experience service at our usual high standards.

Colne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rooms lovely and clean.Staff friendly and helpful. Only gripe was very slow service or orders forgotten altogether in bar and restaurant.If I go to the bar to get drinks I want to be served not sent to sit down and then still be waiting 10 minutes later. We paid for bed and breakfast but I would not have paid the amount charged for breakfast and did find bar prices a little expensive too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your "girlie" weekend and particularly your bedrooms and the helpfulness and friendliness of the team.

I have noted your further comments which as always will be discussed with the team but in the meantime apologise for the delayed service in the bar.

We hope to see you again soon.

Rutland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over the bank holiday weekend which coincided with the Cardiff City FC celebrations - we are not football fans, and despite the hotel having a function for the team after the parade it didn't really impact on our stay - there were some very noisy and vocal revellers leaving at 4am who had little consideration for sleeping hotel guests but at least if you are woken up then you get to see the dawn break.... I don't think any hotel staff tried to keep them quiet because of who they were. I stay in many hotels for business and our 'Classic King' room was what I would class as a very standard hotel room - it was quite tired and ready for some serious refurbishment. The balcony was OK to stand on but had no table or chairs for health and safety reasons (plus the balconies are far too small....). One of the side screens was broken/missing on our balcony so you also had very little privacy. We had upgraded and that gave us a few small bottles of Moulton Brown toiletries, some still water, a packet of 2 welsh cakes, and breakfast - I wouldn't bother with this upgrade it's not very good value at all. Like Andrina commented upon, our air con didn't function either, so I advised the front desk and the maintenance team visited but that made no difference at all and we had to sleep with the balcony door wedged open using the waste bin....a quality 5 star touch....!!
Breakfast was OK but at busy time the queues are very long to the self service tables and not in keeping with what you would expect with a 5 star hotel - many good 4 star hotels that I use offer a full table service for breakfast with greater choice and no hidden extra charges. I would compare the breakfast here to something available every day in most Premier Inns.
The spa area was nice but doesn't have a steam room and when we went to use the spa terrace we discovered that it had been taken over by a 40 strong male choir serenading a wedding reception - a bit unfortunate for the couple that were laying out on sun loungers in their spa robes and costumes but I am sure they will look good in the background of the wedding photos....
My wife and I both had spa treatments and they were good but you need to book a way ahead to get your choice of days and time.
One evening we gave up waiting to be served in the lounge bar area and ended up drinking our own champagne in our bedroom - obviously we couldn't sit on the balcony for health and safety reasons, plus I'd forgotten to pack our high-vis jackets....
We were celebrating our wedding anniversary during the weekend and whilst the hotel were made aware of this when I made the booking, they made no acknowledgement of this during our stay - most hotels would at least send a drink, some fruit or flowers to your room - but not so at St David's.
The hotel is conveniently located for the bay area but is tired inside and out. The spa is good but the rooms need attention. Overall staff were courteous but I think they are well rehearsed in fending off guest asking about the rooms and facilities.
We enjoyed our stay but wouldn't rush back to this hotel - for what we had it was an expensive weekend away and I am sure we could have got a lot more for our money elsewhere.
And finally rather than respond to this review with the usual excuses, perhaps the hotel manager should contact a few guests whilst they are actually staying in the hotel and seek 'real time' feedback that they can act upon immediately ... just a thought

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review, the contents of which, as always, will be discussed and reviewed appropriately with my management team.

I am very pleased you had a pleasant stay and in particular enjoyed the location of St David's and your spa treatments, and yes indeed, booking in advance is strongly recommended as the Marine Spa is very popular and gets booked up very quickly.

I am sorry for your disappointment with the upgrade which guarantees a balcony, as you point out, some do not house tables and chairs for health and safety reasons, although a high-vis jacket really is not necessary! Master suites are available with large private balconies and these contain furniture.

Full table service breakfast is in operation Monday to Friday, with a self-service buffet on weekends. An A La Carte menu is also available 7 days a week.

I can confirm that the team had approached the couple on the loungers prior to the male voice choir commencing and they were very happy to sit back and watch the show.

I can confirm that we are continuing to invest in the hotel, having refurbished the bar, restaurant, conference rooms and bedrroms in the last 18 months with more works scheduled this year.

I respond to all guest reviews as a mark of politeness however I will happily meet with a guest during their stay, or in my absence there is a Duty Manager on shift 24/7, 7 days a week.

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I initially had difficulty in getting through to anyone at st. David's in order to book 2 nights for 2 of us for May bank holiday. Eventually I was looked after by a manager who sorted things satisfactorily. He upgraded us to an executive twin room which was generally beautiful although tired in places but had balconies surrounding the room. The first disappointment was that there was nowhere to sit outside on these which was a shame as the weather and views were lovely. We then found the air con completely ineffective in the room and the system so noisy it would be impossible to sleep with it on anyway, the room being very warm at the time due to the fine weather. Also, there was no mini fridge or mini bar in the room. The food at dinner was disappointing too and not the standard as would be expected for the 5 star rating, although the waiter did not charge for my meal when this was mentioned.
On using the spa, I was not not expecting to find so many things out of use in the female facilities, ie., many lockers, one toilet out of 2 and one hair dryer out of 2. The showers were also much to be desired and needed upgrading.
Finally, the last straw was when we had the bill as they'd included charges for 2 meals we never booked or had on one of the 2 nights' stay we had there. When we pointed this out there was not much of an apology given either.
Summing up I would say the hotel could be faultless if someone took things in hand to care for the place more and improve standards of efficiency.

Room Tip: Make sure air con works sufficiently.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, the contents of which I have noted and will discuss with my management team.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointment. There is a Duty Manager on shift 24/7 who would be happy to rectify any issues immediately.

In the meantime, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future to enable you to experience our usual high levels of service.