“Lush”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I have no idea why reviews of late for this hotel have been bad. My wife and i stayed for one night and found the hotel, its staff and facilities out standing. The staff go out of there way to be nice and make you feel welcome. One particular blonde lady (sorry i didnt get the name) on reception booking us a taxi to go via a cash point and then asking us about our evening the following day (we went to see biffy clyro) was a nice and personal touch and made my wife and i very comfortable.
The only slight complaint i would have is although the food is very nice its quite over priced.
Other than that we would highly recommend this hotel and would like to thank all the staff for our pleasant and relaxed stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for your excellent feedback and recommendation. I was glad to read that our staff went out of their way to make you feel so welcome. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service here at St Davids hotel and we hope you chose to return soon.

There are newer reviews for The St. David's Hotel

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

It's not what it once was by a long stretch. Not sure why, to be fair prices are down as well to many hotels in Cardiff now perhaps & no need for large 5 star . Best stay at the Park Plaza in town that's the only real 5 star now. After saying the above if in two minds about coming to Cardiff it's a great place & value hotel wise is amazing .

• Stayed: March 2013
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments. We hope you choose to visit us again in the future and in the meantime if you would like to discuss your comments in further detail and provide me with further information please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Graeme Barclay.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My 3rd stay here and once again despite many spaces on car park was told its full go and park round corner it's £3 cheaper, we refused and a space was found. Later it became clear why, as the Welsh football team where also staying in hotel so priorities elsewhere? Rooms are nice no more no less all with balconies, 1/2 hour free wifi seems slack, used the gym which is well equipped and pool looked nice as is locker room. Bar staff where good and attentive. Great views from room and balcony, less than 10 minutes by taxi in to centre on night. I will use hotel again but if car park lets it down again will be elsewhere thenext time.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay. I was glad to read your comments regarding the views from our rooms and regarding our individual service. Parking is allocated on a first come first served basis and it is prioritised in this manner due to limited spaces. The pay and display next door is immediately adjacent to the hotel and we hope you chose to return for another visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Masquerade? This is what St Davids does. Not very well really. Third stay and it is getting worse. I like to stay 5 star and do not mind paying but the price was 4 star so still value for money. It is shabby with furniture needing an update and beds in particular with mattresses that give backache and bed linen that is more like Egyptian worn out polyester than Egyptian cotton of any description. Pillows from the tomb of kings as opposed to palaces. Carpets in my room are scruffy and stained, the recliner chair was showing a large tear and wood structure through the leather - all worn to a frazzle. My wash basin was blocked and by what I would dread to think, the bath had a hair in it when I got to view it for the first time. Outside the balcony was ok but up above the enclosure was filthy and unnecessary when you could simply dust it off with each daily clean. Wifi is charged as extra and I have not experienced that for some years now - it is no longer a luxury. TV remote was disgusting and would have more biological life clinging to it than the toilet seat which probably got a better clean. Water glasses had dust coating on the inside and that is with dust caps over them? I arrived with a car at the front door and concierge walked right to me then ignored me and went across the road to a van driver for a chat. I guess he had something to do so that is not vital I suppose. My 82 year old parents and my wife got all the bags out go the car and trudged into reception whilst I parked. Reception was friendly and professional , uniforms were tired and unpressed but that could be an individual or quality issue. Don't want to get personal so moving on. Breakfast so bad that the manager there refunded the cost. Out of stock of marmalade would you believe but offered me lemon curd or chocolate spread? Hard eggs served, returned and served hard again. Toast was cold and my poor old dad ate his scrambled egg cold as he didn't want any fuss..... Won't say any more! Lots of staff moving but not in any way effective. Looked like a lot of foreign students or interns. More training I suggest. Was 5 star once but I think they know that has slipped. Like I say price good value but just like horse in your burger, you don't mind if you know about it and you can make an informed decision. Having said that I may stay again but would want to have the manager know I am coming so he or she can check the room first and stop me being unlucky again. If I do stay and it is improved I will update my review accordingly or even remove this one. Lets say it is Reasonable VFM but not really wholesome at present.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. The member of staff that you referred to as having ignored you and a chat was in fact assisting the van driver at the time however please accept my apologies that another member of staff was not present until you entered the hotel.

Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team. I can also advise that areas of the hotel are due for extensive refurbishment and we hope you choose to return on a future occasion.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for our wedding anniversary on 13th March 2013 and was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a Junior Suite. The room was great, as was the service but,

1) We didn't expect to pay to have to pay a 2.5% surcharge for payment with a credit card and it wasn't shown in the terms and conditions of booking.

2) I didn't expect to pay an additional £50 at checkout with my Debit Card for potential damage incurred by our stay and once again this wasn't shown in the terms and conditions of booking.

3) The cooked breakfast was poor value for money at £12.50 per head, consisting of an egg, two pieces of bacon, sausage, black pudding and mushrooms.

Had my wife not been with me at checkout, I would most certainly have complained!

I sincerely hope that when I check my bank statement the hotel hasn't taken the additional £50.

Regards, Martin Bray

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Mr Bray

Thank you for your review, the contents of which in the main are disappointing. On a positive note I am pleased that the team had upgraded you on a complimentary basis however I respond to your further observations as follows:

A flat fee of £2.50 for using a credit card, not a percentage as you suggest, is payable however no charge is made for using a debit card or cash. On checking your profile, I can confirm that you did not pay the fee as you used a debit card to settle your account.

Mr Bray you did not pay an additional fee at check out for potential damage. You chose to leave a £50 pre-authorisation at check-in to be able to charge incidentals to your room. As nothing was charged to your room this was released on check out. This is a standard hotel operating procedure.

Your rate was inclusive of breakfast so I can confirm you were not charged the £12. Not only does breakfast consist of the traditional cooked items as you state, it also includes a full buffet consisting of a continental section including mixed cheeses and hams, freshly baked bread, pastries, preserves, yogurts, fresh fruit and juices.

We welcome all feedback and would have been happy to explain the above on check out had you brought the same to our attention

Once again our apologies for your disappointment.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on a bed and breakfast basis.
Our room was an "executive" room on the seventh floor and the views across Cardiff Bay were well worth the money.
The hotel has the best swimming complex that I have seen and we made good use of this facility. I particularly liked that children were only allowed in during certain times, which meant that I could really enjoy swimming.
We had one or two general concerns, which are being adressed by management currently, which means that we would not recommend this hotel to our friends as we felt that a 5* hotel should not have had the issues. Having said that, we would book again if we were going to Cardiff again.

Room Tip: Bookj an executive room for spectacular views at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would return to us again in the future.

I am pleased that the team are addressing any issues you may have had but please accept my apologies for any disappointments.

I hope that following your next visit you will be confident in recommending us to your friends.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

For a hotel that positions itself at the luxury end it does not live up to expectations. We stayed 2 nights in a standard room which I would describe as fairly basic and horrendously expensive even though it was an International rugby weekend. No sports channels on the TV. Breakfast on day 1 was a la carte with few exceptions but not very good. Day 2 was a buffet but again nothing better than average and I had a hair in mine. They need to buy better basic ingredients and execute it well. It would help if they had some colour in the toast and cooked both sides for instance! Try and get a coffee mid morning. Its a challenge, but there is a Costa around the corner. The redeeming feature was the staff who were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. I do hope you brought these issues to the attention of one of the management team at the time to enable us the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

Our Tempus at Tides bar opens at 10.00am with an extensive coffee menu. Coffee is also available for residents in our Waves lounge.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team which have been passed on to them.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.