The St. David's Hotel
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$62
$59
  • Room Service
$96
$85
  • Restaurant
Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$92
Hilton Cardiff(Cardiff)
$117
$102
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Novotel Cardiff Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$88
$79
$57
$54
Agoda.com
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$77
Orbitz.com
$125
Sandringham Hotel(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
$50
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
4,094 results
All reviewsmaster suitecardiff bayoverlooking the bayspa facilitieson arrivalmermaid quaythe hotel car parkpay and displayfloor to ceiling windowsrobes and slippersafternoon tearelaxation roombirthday treatan upgradewelsh cakesbars and restaurantslovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on a bed and breakfast basis.
Our room was an "executive" room on the seventh floor and the views across Cardiff Bay were well worth the money.
The hotel has the best swimming complex that I have seen and we made good use of this facility. I particularly liked that children were only allowed in during certain times, which meant that I could really enjoy swimming.
We had one or two general concerns, which are being adressed by management currently, which means that we would not recommend this hotel to our friends as we felt that a 5* hotel should not have had the issues. Having said that, we would book again if we were going to Cardiff again.

Room Tip: Bookj an executive room for spectacular views at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would return to us again in the future.

I am pleased that the team are addressing any issues you may have had but please accept my apologies for any disappointments.

I hope that following your next visit you will be confident in recommending us to your friends.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

For a hotel that positions itself at the luxury end it does not live up to expectations. We stayed 2 nights in a standard room which I would describe as fairly basic and horrendously expensive even though it was an International rugby weekend. No sports channels on the TV. Breakfast on day 1 was a la carte with few exceptions but not very good. Day 2 was a buffet but again nothing better than average and I had a hair in mine. They need to buy better basic ingredients and execute it well. It would help if they had some colour in the toast and cooked both sides for instance! Try and get a coffee mid morning. Its a challenge, but there is a Costa around the corner. The redeeming feature was the staff who were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. I do hope you brought these issues to the attention of one of the management team at the time to enable us the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

Our Tempus at Tides bar opens at 10.00am with an extensive coffee menu. Coffee is also available for residents in our Waves lounge.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team which have been passed on to them.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel yesterday for one night. As it was a later booking we had accepted the "only one room left" at £450 for the night since it was the night of the Wales/England grand slam match.

BUT

£2.50 charge for paying the bill with any credit card!
£5.00 "tray charge" for room service
£7.00 for parking the car

Now, for a £60 per night room this may be understandable, but for a £450 a night room in Cardiff it is just petty advantage taking.

One more thing for the manager - you might make use of some of the revenue this raises to pay to clean your staff uniforms, the stains are a little off putting.

A nice location, restaurant food and service are fine......but really a £2.50 charge for paying the bill, come on please!

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Don't have the "suite" it is just a room with a glass extension which is cold, and has damp stains on the carpet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you chose to take the last room. Rates are dictated by availability and demand and as you point out this was a very busy weekend for the city.

In relation to your observations:

There is a company policy to charge £2.50 to pay by credit card however there is of course no charge for payment by debit card or cash.

The £5 tray charge is standard policy adopted by most hotels for room service. Indeed ours is a more competitive rate.

As with all city hotels car parking is chargeable to allow the guest flexibility on rate and not hiding the charge in the rate whether bringing a car or not. Our car park, with limited spaces, is chargeable at £10 per hour however we are lucky enough to have the NCP car park, with over 200 spaces, immediately adjacent to ours chargeable at £7 per hour.

We pride ourselves on the immaculate appearance of our staff's uniforms therefore your comments in this regard are offensive and strongly rebuffed.

To confirm, some suites do have a conservatory extension leading onto a private balcony area. Other suites and room types are available.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked a one night stay for my wife and me, but was a little concerned bearing the mixed reviews.
I arrived mid afternoon and the car park was full, which was a criticism in some of the reviews, however the public car park is adjacent to the hotel’s and at £7 for 24 hours is very reasonable for Cardiff.
We were greeted pleasantly at reception, I had requested a room on one of the higher floors but as none was available we were upgraded to a suite on the third floor. Definitely no complaint from me on that score.
I was impressed with the open foyer area and the use of Welsh slate with motto on one part of the floor.
Our suite was tastefully decorated and had been given a Welsh name and also the blankets were made in Wales, another nice touch The view was outstanding looking over the bay to the Pier Head building, the Millennium Centre, the Welsh Assembly building and the Norwegian Church. Looking from our window and given the outside balcony and railings we had the impression of being on cruise liner.
We decided to dine in and ordered from the room service menu, the service was prompt, pleasant and the food of high quality.
The beds were comfortable and unusually for a one night stay I had a good night’s sleep.
The breakfast in the morning was varied and good, but I have two minor comments, there should be more attention to ensuring that items of food do not run out, I had to wait of ten minutes for mushrooms, also a live egg station would ensure that guests had the eggs or omelette fried to their liking.
To summerise, the hotel is more expensive than other good hotels in Cardiff, which possibly give better value for money and perhaps it is not of full 5 star rating, but for a special occasion or just a little bit of extra luxury it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have a better view
1  Thank Tony W

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this excellent review of St David's. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you well. It is so satisfying when a guest has enjoyed all that St David's has to offer and so encouraging to read such reviews.

Your comments regarding breakfast have been noted, my apologies for any disappointment.

A warm welcome awaits your return for your next "luxury weekend".

Reviewed March 17, 2013

OK hotel, quite expensive, well appointed. A few things could have been better. The walls in our room needed cleaning, the old coffee stains didn´t suit the otherwise chic decor and the sound on the TV in the room was horrible. Rooms are sealed units and unless you want to blast cold aircon into the room they are stuffy. The hotel is a little out of the way but the views are cool. If you are happy to pay extra you can use the hotel car park. Parking in Cardiff seems generally very expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Our rooms contain balcony doors so if guests wish not to use the air conditioning there is the option to open the balcony door to air out the room. We are 5 minutes by taxi from Cardiff city centre or a 25 minute walk. Our hotel is located outside the city centre in Cardiff bay thus ensuring our guests can relax in peace and quiet without the noisey disturbances that come with staying in the city centre. We have the cheapest hotel car park in Cardiff, at £10 per 24hours and there is also a pay and display immediately adjacent which is most convenient to accommodate all our guests. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,