I booked a one night stay for my wife and me, but was a little concerned bearing the mixed reviews.
I arrived mid afternoon and the car park was full, which was a criticism in some of the reviews, however the public car park is adjacent to the hotel’s and at £7 for 24 hours is very reasonable for Cardiff.
We were greeted pleasantly at reception, I had requested a room on one of the higher floors but as none was available we were upgraded to a suite on the third floor. Definitely no complaint from me on that score.
I was impressed with the open foyer area and the use of Welsh slate with motto on one part of the floor.
Our suite was tastefully decorated and had been given a Welsh name and also the blankets were made in Wales, another nice touch The view was outstanding looking over the bay to the Pier Head building, the Millennium Centre, the Welsh Assembly building and the Norwegian Church. Looking from our window and given the outside balcony and railings we had the impression of being on cruise liner.
We decided to dine in and ordered from the room service menu, the service was prompt, pleasant and the food of high quality.
The beds were comfortable and unusually for a one night stay I had a good night’s sleep.
The breakfast in the morning was varied and good, but I have two minor comments, there should be more attention to ensuring that items of food do not run out, I had to wait of ten minutes for mushrooms, also a live egg station would ensure that guests had the eggs or omelette fried to their liking.
To summerise, the hotel is more expensive than other good hotels in Cardiff, which possibly give better value for money and perhaps it is not of full 5 star rating, but for a special occasion or just a little bit of extra luxury it is well worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. David's Hotel is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your The St. David's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel Cardiff, Wales