“Good qualiy hotel but let down by its breakfast”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife & I stayed for a 2 night mid week city break in March. Our top floor room was very comfortable with a fantastic view over the bay towards Penarth. Although bathrobes were not there as expected when we arrived, a quick phone call promptly sorted this omission out.
At £170 per night (B & B basis) you don't expect a true luxury hotel to charge an extra £5 at breakfast for a decent choice of cooked items. Apart from the cooked breakfast (bacon , sausage,tomato etc) everything else cost extra !! For example do "Eggs Benedict" really justify such a surcharge.
When we realised that this hotel is part of the P-H chain, we understood as they are basically a 3-4 star hotel chain mainly geared to coferences & events.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments concerning the robes and the surcharge for additional items. The surcharge does indeed apply for specialist items such as Eggs Benedict, however we do not charge extra for items such as a cooked breakfast, juices, teas, coffees, preserves, cheeses, cereals, yoghurts and fruit. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team. We hope you choose to return to the St David's hotel in the near future and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

From the booking process to the goodbye gesture, simply superb. Fantastic service, views, unpretentious food and value for money. I have never been so impressed with the change given from a five star hotel.

Tip- try the afternoon tea!!

Room Tip: All rooms are sea view, so any!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here again what a difference to last time, we stayed in room 117 totally different styled room, modern, clean and superb. Lovely views. Staff again a little stand offish!. Spa again totally relaxing we love our little breaks here at the right price that is (£79 I think with a promo code) we will be booking again to stay again in the next month (time to recharge the batteries again) cannot comment on breakfast as ate elsewhere

Room Tip: Room 117 lovely large balcony overlooking bay
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us however I was sorry to read that you felt our colleagues were "a little stand offish". Rest assured your comments will be passed to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a well run hotel but is perhaps not quite as well equipped as its 5 star rating would suggest, e.g.
There was a bidet in the bathroom, but no minibar in the bedroom. There were slippers but no towelling bathrobes.
We were nonetheless delighted to receive an upgrade on arrival so we had a room with a spectacular view across the Bay. We were there for an opera performance at the Wales Millennium Centre which is an easy walk away - if you are in comfortable shoes. Incidentally I would also recommend that. The performance we saw by the Welsh National Opera Company was outstanding and the facilities for theatre goers were excellent. Best of all, our seats only cost £40 in the raised stalls. This amazed us as regular patrons of the Royal Opera House!! Fantastic value for money.
The hotel is under new management since our last visit but it does not appear to have changed very much except perhaps that the staff were noticeably very welcoming this time. We only ate bar snacks and breakfast, which were both fine, but for that reason we can't comment on full meals in the restaurant.

Room Tip: I think it might be worth paying a little more for a sea view if you don't want to chance leavin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you, we are delighted we were able to accommodate your needs. In terms of the robes not being present in the room we do in fact provide them and I apologise there was an oversight pertaining to your room. I hope you advised a member of staff so that we were able to furnish you with robes. We look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a fantastic hotel, the rooms are of high quality the service is fantastic and the staff are really pleasant a really good stay and would definitely recommend if you want to stay down Cardiff Bay.
Woke up early and ordered some hot drinks and juice which was delivered really quick with free pastries and biscuits. Overall one of the best hotels i have stayed in for service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for your excellent comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed such great individual service and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We came to stay at the hotel for one night on the Sunday DBB package, first impression of the hotel was wow as it is in a fantastic position in the bay and looks very grand and posh. We arrived around 5pm but the car park was already full, I did find the fact that you have to pay for parking a little annoying the hotel claims 5* and really I feel parking should be included it doesn’t cost a lot £6/£7 for 24 hours but still couldn’t this be something the hotel just absorb into the reasonably high price?
We checked in and were sent to our room with directions, the room was fine comfortable enough but the furniture was not very well laid out with chairs in front of the “balcony” door, also if someone was sat at the dressing table there is not enough space to walk round the bed. The “balcony” was very strange we were on the first floor so it wasn’t a balcony more a large roof that linked all the rooms on this side together full cigarette ends and just generally not very nice and anyone stood out there can see directly into your room meaning curtains closed most of the time.
Now for dinner what a shambles! We went down for our 8.30pm reservation and were told they weren’t quite ready for us which was fine we got a drink in the bar whilst we waited, when we had finished our drinks 15 mins later we went over again to be told we were now late for our reservation?!? We were given menus and told that half of it had sold out, this is honestly not an exaggeration they had no steaks (out of 3 different types except the rib for two at £50/£60) left which upset my partner as he had been looking forward to it all day. We ordered Starters and the lamb rump for our mains the last two remaining meat main courses. Our starters arrived, I had ordered mussels and I got clams which were swiftly taken away and changed for my mussels but in the incorrect “sauce”. The lamb was fantastic very tasty and we shared a dessert which was also very very nice. Finally we finished dinner at nearly 11.45pm full up but exhausted. We did have one lovely waitress (a young girl who had attended Cardiff Uni) who was very helpful and chatty, she arranged for directions to where we were visiting the following day to be slipped under our door that night. Unfortunately the concierge did bring up the directions by this point it was well after midnight and knocked on the door meaning I had to open the door half dressed with a towel leaving the poor guy and I suitably embarrassed.
Breakfast in the morning was good, service excellent and very quick and efficient far from the experience of the night before. On check out I expressed some of my views about the restaurant and was told to speak to the restaurant manager on the phone? She was very apologetic and did take our drinks off the final bill.
All in all not a very good experience and we won’t be staying again, we did however find a lovely B&B in the City for a quarter of the price where we will be staying from now on. This Hotel may look 5* from the outside but everything else states otherwise.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Our hotel car park is allocated on a first come first served basis and is in fact the cheapest hotel car park in the city. There is also a pay and display car park immediately adjacent to the hotel so there are no shortage of spaces for all our guests.

The balcony on the first floor rooms are designed on top of a larger terrace area which is still the same size as all the other balconies. I apologise that you found cigarette ends outside. St Davids operates a strict no-smoking policy and this will be addressed with our Housekeeping team. In terms of your concerns regarding the evening meal I do apologise for these service issues and rest assured that your comments will be discussed as a matter of priority with my Restaurant team. I understand that our Restaurant Manager spoke to you on checking out relating to these concerns.

I was however pleased to read about your experience at breakfast and I would look forward to discussing the aforementioned points in further detail if you would like to contact me.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Rooms are great with super views and food is good, bar is fab with great service but inexpensive. Spa however is disappointing a really needs updating, felt like is was more leisure centre than 5 star spa. Hotel is in a great location and treatments in spa were great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank etchellsk

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our rooms, bar and service. I can advise that areas of the hotel are currently due for refurbishment and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.