“Incredible Service! Do not be put off by silly reviews! St David's never dissapoint!”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 27, 2013

For my boyfriends birthday last year, i booked us a room at this hotel and we were very happy with our experience overall- the room, the service, the facilities etc so for his 21st this year he said he would love to stay at the hotel again...
I found us a very, very reasonable deal on line and after checking in to our room today asked if we could be moved to a higher floor as we were given a room on the 1st floor. After explaining to the fantastic receptionist Ayesha that we had come back for my partners birthday she immediately went out of her way to upgrade us to a beautiful suite, without any hesitation and at no extra cost! Its very rare to get service like this in this day and age and particularly without having to pay an extortionate amount! I also asked to add an extra night to our stay and she was very helpful in agreeing a reasonable rate to match those offered online, in fact even better!
When we went up to our upgraded room there was even a lady stood outside our room ready to greet us with a bottle of Rose and Welsh cakes! Absolutely amazing treatment! Made us feel super special!
For people with complaints on here I would recommend actually bringing it up with reception during your stay rather than when you are about to check out/or have left as you don't give them a chance to put things right... For example I have seen many complaints on here about no robes and slippers in rooms but a couple came down to reception while I was down there and explained their room was missing those items and Ayesha endavoured to put it right straight away, also reminding me to make sure to tell her if anything was missing/not right in our room...
You must give people a chance to put things right for you before you go complaining or else you are being totally unfair and from what I have seen they are more than willing to help here! I really urge people considering St Davids to give it a go! Well worth a visit in my opinion and I am sure we will be coming back here for many more birthdays! Thanks St Davids and especially Ayesha for making my partners birthday one he will never forget! I cannot thank-you enough! Very grateful:)

Room Tip: If theres something you are not happy with just mention it to reception- they are more than happy to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your excellent comments. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our Receptionist was able to organise another room for you upon arrival. I am also pleased to read that you experienced the service which we pride ourselves on here at St Davids Hotel and very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Thank you once again for your excellent review.

Kind regards,

Graeme Barclay

Write a ReviewReviews (3,985)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked a night away for me and my boyfriend, i thought for a 5star it would be much nicer than it was. We arrived at about 3pm, and when we got there the appearance outside wasnt nice at all. The building was very dirty! We then got into reception which wasnt welcoming at all, for a 5star the decor was very boring.. The room was nice and clean, and the view was lovely! Room service was quick and very polite on the phone. We didnt eat in the restaurant so i couldnt comment on that!
In the morning then, we decided to have breakfast in the restaurant we went down and they sat us at a lovely table over looking the bay, the women offered us tea and toast, the toast took about 10mins to come and was freezing cold, i then said my toast is cold the waitress replied to me saying sorry there was a que! I thought to myself how can there be a que if your making it for us, i thought the selection of the fruit was limited the only fresh fruit was honeydew melon, they didnt even have any beans in the chafers, i didnt know you had to order them as there not specified on the menu! The chafers werent all that clean either. Then when we checked out there was a gentleman next to me the receptionist to him was like would you like us to bring your car round sir, everything all okay with your stay sir.
When i went to check out, nothing at all, didnt even ask if i enjoyed my stay i just felt like they couldnt wait to get my money! To be honest, i didnt really enjoy the whole experience didnt think it was worth the money, as i work in a hotel myself i notice everything, i didnt think it was 5star standard at all! Wont be going there again

• Stayed: February 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations, all of which will be discussed thoroughly with my management team. I can advise that areas of the hotel are currently due for refurbishment and this week we are commencing a programme to improve our breakfast service and offering.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently paid for my mum and dad to stay here as they were seeing a show in the nearby millennium centre. Having been a member of the gym at the hotel for some years I recently cancelled my membership due to falling standards, hence I was reluctant to book the hotel but convenience forced my hand. From the moment my parents arrived and were faced with the surly doorman (the same guy who had been the bane of my membership incidentally) to the impersonal reception staff and the dreadfully faded rooms, their stay was distinctly average. Nothing about the hotel feels 5 star and the entire place just feels tired, old and poorly managed. Such a shame as it used to be glorious.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Robertsdesk
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your mum and dad's recent stay with us. I was incredibly disappointment to read your comments not only in relation to your mum and dad's stay but also in relation to your spa membership. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss these issues with you personally and would welcome direct contact from you in this regard. In the meantime please accept my apologies.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here on a sunday night. Booked a junior suite which turned out to be just a slightly bigger bedroom. Not worth the extra you pay for it. On arrival it stated there would be a bottle of sparkly wine, welsh cakes and robes and slippers for the spa.None of which were actually present. After several phonecalls to reception the robes turned up. And they assured us the wine would be up ready for when we returned from the spa. This didnt happen. To go with this The room was like a sauna and the air con didnt work. When we phoned again a member of staff came to the room and suggested opening the balcony door as maintenance dont work sundays!!!! Genius. When I pointed out we would then have a hot room with a biting february wind rattling through it I was again assured it would be sorted. 5 mins later same member of staff turned up with a plug in fan that was about the same size as my hand!!..5 star hotel really?? I couldnt be bothered anymore so went out for food and hoped it would eventually cool down naturally as it was freezing outside. Then in the morning when I checked out with the rude receptionist and mentioned this, I was told " what more can we do we offered you an upgrade but you didnt want it because you couldnt be bothered to pack your cases again" where they plucked this from god only knows. As we only had one holdall and hadnt unpacked it. After i assured the member of staff this was not the case and we would have jumped at the chance of an upgrade we were given a token." Ah sorry about that" Not only are the staff rude it appears they make up random stories. Do yourselves a favour and stay at Celtic Manor. Far nicer, Far less hassle. Won't be returning to St Davids.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank smithy911

Thank you for your review. The issues outlined by you are totally unacceptable and far from the usual level of service and customer care we pride ourselves on at St David's. Please accept my profuse apologies for these shortfalls. Whilst all feedback is welcome as it enables us to monitor our services to make improvements going forward, I would very much like the opportunity to personally investigate such specific issues and should be grateful if you would contact me directly in this regard.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our 2 night stay was disappointing, reception staff were welcoming and helpful which made us feel that this would be a pleasant stay. However the chaotic service at breafast was the worst I have ever experienced, waited 1/2 an hour only to discover my order had been "mislaid" , food finally arrived 20 minutes later by which time several other guests were complaining about similar problems. Dinner on both evenings was of a very high standard but again spoiled by slow service, an hour between couses is not acceptable.

Our room was clean aoart from mould on some tiles around the bath and a slightly loose handrail.

The balcony was very shabby as was the outside of the building.

This break was a gift from our daughter so we were doubly disappointed to have to tell her it was not somewhere we could recommend to our friends.

1  Thank Meg T

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I am pleased that your arrival and dinner experiences were of a high standard, however I apologise for the disappointing restaurant service you experienced. Your comments regarding the room and balcony have been noted and will be reviewed accordingly. It is diappointing that you feel you would not be able to recommend St David's however I do hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked this hotel due to its position on the bay and the fact that it was near the nightlife of Cardiff centre.

The car park was small and fully booked when we arrived, lucky there was further parking next door and this was actualy cheaper. Have never been to a hotel where you have to pay to park in the hotel car park!

Reception staff very friendly and polite. Belied the quality of the hotel.

Room had a good view, but not 5* standard by any means. Pretty basic really and we were disappointed, as this break was for my Daughters Hen Weekend. Bathroom had all the usual freebies, but room was pretty bare. Only one comfy chair and no fridge.

We tried to book Spa treatments in advance, but nothing was available. We even asked on arrival, but nothing at all bookable. This was another disappointment, as we were looking forward to at least a massage. We did use the pool, but this was so busy it wasn't comfortable at all.

We went into Cardiff for the evening, so hotel location was excellent for a night out. However, when we called for room service on our return, they could only offer a sandwich, as they had no pizza bases and no lasagne. As these were the only 3 options on the menu, we went for a sandwich. This came on an overdressed table, which came at an extra cost of £5 for trayage.
More over the top than the sandwich, which was stale.

Needless to say, as breakfast was extra and the sandwich experience was enough to put us off, we did not venture to see what was on offer.

Would not recommend this hotel as 5*. Falls far short of this and would not return.

All in all, very, very disappointing.

Room Tip: Higher floor has better views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jlane55

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your daughter's hen weekend stay with us. I do hope that despite the issues I have addressed below, overall your daughter's special time was on the whole enjoyable.

We do have limited space in our car park however we are lucky enough to have the NCP car park immediately adjacent to ours with over 200 spaces. As with most city hotels we do charge for car parking and indeed our rate is one of the more competitive in the city.

Fridges are not offered as standard in the rooms as in line with our 5 star status we offer a comprehensive 24 hour room service menu.

It is strongly advised to book spa treatments in advance as our Marine Spa is incredibly popular, however I apologise for your disappointment in this regard.

A limited room service menu is available after 11.00pm but I apologise that 2 of the items were unavailable. It is not clear whether you expressed your disappointment with the sandwich to the Duty Manager at the time to afford us the opportunity to rectify any issue immediately however I apologise for your disappointment.

Your comments will be discussed with the team therefore once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The St David's Hotel is perfectly located, in the lovely regenerated area of Cardiff bay. It has beautiful views across the bay, and is well placed, being right next top transport links, and surrounded by bars and restaurants. And that's the best thing about it. The rooms, whilst clean and fairly large, have nothing to distinguish them from middle weight hotels - none of the quirky, individual or downright sumptuous touches that elevate a hotel into the higher stars. it's all very pleasant (apart from the ridiculous room temperature that the thermostat did nothing to alter, and the suspicion that it wasn't hugely clean), and the bed was very comfortable, but it ain't nothing special.

If you like middle eastern food, there's a fairly decent turkish restaurant over the way (Bosphorus). It does a massive 4 course platter for a very reasonable £25, and has lovely views over the bay

Room Tip: ask for one facing the bay
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Your comments concerning our location in the bay were great to read and I am glad that you enjoyed this aspect of your stay. Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expecations in regard to your bedroom on this occasion and your constructive comments will be taken on board. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.