“Good Hotel”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Service was friendly and warm. Food in the restaurant not cheap but very good. The bed was comfortable and the views from the room over the bay on a sunny day were lovely with the small balcony a nice bonus. No fridge in room was disappointing and generally room could do with a refresh. I got a good deal on the room otherwise I might have been a little underwhelmed . All in all a good hotel in a 5* location but most other elements are more 4*.

Room Tip: Get a deal on the room and it should not disappoint.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thanks for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay on the whole and your comments have been shared with the team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were celebrating parents 50th anniversary -starting with afternoon tea. Reservation had been made but we were about 20 mins late being seated, staff seemed a bit chaotic and there was a long wait between ordering and receving food, it was almost as if we were an impostion to the staff. Parents had suite booked to continue there anniversay, we left them to it and returned in the morning to share breakfast, again we appear to have sent staff into disarray (we hadn't booked this time so I suppose this time it did come as a surprise), we were asked if we would like a table made up to seat six, which seemed to make sense as there were six of us This time round we were over run with staff, 3 different members of the breakfast team asked if we had ordered drinks We had stayed before and i think the quality of service has dipped some, staff seemed to lack direction both with the afternoon and breakfast experience

Room Tip: wait till the refurb has been completed and then try a stay
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank giggleslippers

Your comments have been noted and shared with the team. I do hope your parents enjoyed their Golden Wedding celebrations with us but I apologise for any disappointment. Thanks for your review.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here in a superior room. Breakfast good, room balcony a nice feature on a good day, bar staff very friendly, public areas impressive. Needs some updating though, currently looking very dated in the rooms. I also think charging for the parking is a bit on re cheap side for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review, the contents of which are noted and will be reviewed. We hope to see you back at St David's in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My fiancee and I have stayed here on several occasions and had quite pleasent stays previously. However, this, and our visit this week, has now made us consider using a different hotel when I next visit Cardiff Bay. Has there been a significant management change here or a cost-cutting exercise implemented?
I booked in here to see Aubrey Parsons perform in the Tides Restaurant Bar and as always,his vocal entertainment was excellent. However apart from a couple of the bar and restaurant staff our stay here was extremely dsappointing.
When we checked in we were told our packge included bed, dinner and breakfast for one night which is what I believed to be the case. I paid straight away and in full by debit card as I needed to get away early next day. However when I handed my keys in next day I was told I owed over a hundred pounds more as breakfast was not actually included and that we had to pay for additional wine we had with our meal. I stated that we had previously been told breakfast was included and that I had paid for my wine the previous evening again by debit card. The receptionist did not believe me (even though I showed her the receipts that both the bar and the reception staff from the previous evening had given ust!) and continued to press me for the additional charges as she said paying previously by debit card is difficult for them as they cannot trace what we had really paid for???.

After an emabrassing and delaying wait it was explained that they couldn't check as their bar payments records were locked away til the following Monday (what??) . They then made further "checks" though and then suddenly agreed that we should not have been charged for the extra bottle of wine added to our meal and they refunded the difference however insisted that breakfast was not inlcuded. So £37 was then added to our bill.
A previous reviewer has mentioned the quality of this breakfast and it IS poor for a "5 Star". We agree. All hot food is in massive (HOT) trays which you remove the lids for yourself but there is no where to put the lid as well as then serving yourself!! Also all elements of the breakfast are dry. There are no ingredients containing moisture except the boiled tomatoes.All in all a very poor and tasteless effort for £18.50 a head!!

Our room was OK although a little tired and missing the usual little luxury touches you would normally expect for the price paid (and for a 5 star establishment) but what really was amiss was the standard of restaurant food here. It is expensive and (as with my last visit) totally underwhelming. At £28 for a main course I expect it to satisfy my tastebuds a ittle and not leave me hungry as this meal did. I mentined this to the server and she said "oh well more room for a dessert maybe?". At £6.50 for a small tablespoon of fruit crumble and ice-cream I think not!!

We have been to St Davids half a dozen times in the last 5 years and these last two visits were overpriced and I continue to walk away feeling disappointed, and underwhelmed and over charged. It cost us £370 for a one night stay with dinner (and breakfast!!) and it was defnitely NOT worth this money. To conclude we will definitely be searching out an alternative establishment for our next stay in Cardiff Bay.

Room Tip: Visit St David's Hotel and select room on a high floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

That is disappointing to hear and particularly as you are one of our regular guest I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss these issues with you, enabling me the opportunity to investigate them in full. Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for your disappointment.

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I returned to the st David's for a 3 night break recently. We have stayed on numerous occasions and were really looking forward to our mini break.
I had asked when booking for a room on one of the highest floors- this wasn't granted so we were put on level 3. The room was ok, it's not 5* standard but I really didn't mind. The spa and gym were great and staff always so friendly there.
Breakfast was the biggest disappointment! How can the hotel change something so dramatically and turn it into a total nightmare! I felt so sorry for the staff serving us! There was no manager helping to make their job easier and every order seemed wrong! It was terrible! We used to love having pancakes ... But unfortunately these aren't available anymore and if you wanted something other than a cooked breakfast you're expected to pay £5 extra! How ridiculous! The food, bread, pastries and even cereal were cheap and shoddy quality!
We most certainly will not be returning to this hotel in the future! Such a let down!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you were let down on this occasion, your comments will be discussed with the team. As you have stayed on numerous occasions I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was a very nice and clean hotel, with polite staff. However I would not class it as 5 star more like 4. However we had a very pleasant stay and would go there again. Only 1 complaint they really need to work on their breakfast . Not what you would expect in a 1 star hotel let alone a 5 star. Poor choice and the waiters need training the wait time was ridiculous. But apart from that an ok hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments and I pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay. Your comments will be shared with the team but in the meantime look forward to welcoming you back to St David's in the future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Not a bad location, but not up to scratch in other areas. small car park that you have to pay for at £10 a night. The lobby is almost a copy of the famouse Burj el Arab, but without any design features, just plain magnolia everywhere. Rooms were average for a 3/4 star, but with no mini bar and very expensive room service. Breakfast was a strange affair with buffett style containers which were very auckward to lift and hold and at the same time serve the food. Once served, the food was tepid. There are better and cheaper hotels. certainly not the advertised 5 star.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Our car park contains 58 spaces which is the cheapest city hotel car park in Cardiff. There is also a pay and display car park directly opposite the hotel which contains over 200 spaces. Our rooms do not contain minibars as standard however we can provide mini fridges upon request. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Kind regards,