“weekend get away”

Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“weekend get away”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Lovely hotel with a great view of the bay. Clean, bright and the stff are very friendly. had a great time. book in advance for the treatments. Restaurant very nice, food was yummy. Local area socialble. good bars etc. I would definitely return to the hotel

Room Tip: we had a corner room, the balcony wrap around. amazing views
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your weekend away and look forward to welcoming you back.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
boogiebeebie
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here in December 2011 and ended up getting engaged there. We loved it there and decided to go back for our honeymoon night away in December 2012. We were not disappointed. When I called to make the booking, the person I spoke to was really nice about the reason for our holiday and offered to upgrade us to a suite with complimentary champagne and chocs. The suite was even better than the photos on the website. It had wonderful views and the two rooms felt really spacious. The decor was tasteful and the suite was well-equipped. We loved the spa and overall the service was fantastic. We'd booked to have breakfast in the morning and this was excellent - freshly cooked and great service. It's in an excellent location and most of the staff work exceptionally hard to make you feel welcome. We looked at lots of different hotels for our honeymoon night away but I'm so glad we decided to go back here because it had great memories and it has just the right balance of good service without being annoying. We communicated with the hotel after our break and I can't speak highly enough about their professionalism. A wonderful night away..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank boogiebeebie
I'm thrilled with your review, thank you so much. More importantly I am delighted you have enjoyed your time stays with us at St David's particularly as they hold such special memories for you. Congratulations to you both, and hopefully we can welcome you back on your 1st anniversary!

Kind regards
Burry Port
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here in between Christmas and New Year as a treat arranged by my wife for me with my son accompanying us for the first time. We have stayed here several times over the past ten years and have always enjoyed ourselves as the hotel is very good with some exceptional facilities. It is also in Cardiff Bay with all the amazing bars and restaurants plus the Wales Millennium Centre.

We enjoyed some of the afternoon in the hotel pool (please note that children are restricted to certain times) and then exploring the bay area. We had a lovely time.

However when arranging the stay my wife was advised to choose an executive room as this was bigger so as to accommodate the extra bed for my son. Also - as advertised on the Principal Hayley website - there should have been welsh cakes and a tray of 'sweet and savoury bites' as part of the package. When we arrived both my wife and I remarked that this room (executive) seemed no bigger than the previous 'classic' rooms that we had stayed in. There was also a distinct lack of welsh cakes and savoury bites just one pack of biscuits. I popped down to reception to discuss these issues and was told that the room (315) was indeed an upgraded room - called a deluxe king rather than 'executive' as told to my wife and mentioned on the bill/receipt on leaving - as it had a sea rather than a city view. As I could not verify who it was that told my wife that the room was larger to accommodate the extra bed I left it at that. Though the welsh cakes and savouries would be delivered to our room later in the afternoon. They weren't! This was mentioned on leaving and we were given a teddy bear as compensation. Staff apologised for the omission. But I really cannot help feeling a little unsatisfied this time around which is reflected in my giving a 4/5 unlike my previous two 5/5 reviews.

Maybe some literature and administration checking to sort of the 'executive' and 'deluxe king' confusion, and making sure housekeeping stock rooms appropriately for the type of booking made.

Room Tip: If you are upgrading to a higher spec room do check to see what you are getting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank prince_turhan
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. To clarify an upgrade from a Classic room is a Deluxe King which has a guaranteed sea view, sweet and savoury bites in you room, a complimentary newspaper, upgraded toiletries and a guaranteed balcony. My apologies for any shortfalls within your stay and I will discuss your comments with the team. I am delighted that you did enjoy the remainder of your stay.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed Friday 11th wit my partner, we arrived and aaaa little bit surprised at the fact we had to pay £10 to park the car over night and thought this was a bit excessive as you pay enough to stay in this hotel as it is and £5 would have been acceptable. We checked in and was told he had been given a refurbished room which we were happy about. We got to our room and was really impressed. We wanted to use the spa facilities however there were no robes although the welcome pack said they would be in the cupboard. We had already paid for breakfast and went down about 9.30 we had to wait for a table for about 5-10mins when we were seated we were asked if we would like any tea or coffee or some toast we asked for coffee and toast when this arrived the toast was stone cold and the coffee was just a pot no milk, butter or sugar which we should have been asked if we wanted when this came we had to ask for this. We were not made aware of how we needed to order breakfast which should have been explained when we were seated, we waited for a waiter to come to us but as nobody did we asked how to request. The queue while we were seated for other guests was quite big and there were empty tables in the restaurant. The service was absolutely shocking and really let the hotel down!! If I ever stay again there is no way I would be paying for the breakfast for a 5* hotel it was terrible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scamb24
My sincere apologies for your diappointment. I will discuss your comments with the team, therefore thank you for your review. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.

York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed here in August 2012 for 3 nights-It rained the whole time!! The hotel was fabulous, that perfect combo of gewat service without being annoyingly in your face.... Would deffo recommend!!
Cardiff Bay is a great location within easy walking distance of station, also great choice of bars and restaurants on the doorstep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, but sorry about the rain! We look forward to welcoming you back, when hopefully the sun will shine!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed for two nights in November 2012. Our experience of the hotel was as mixed as Wales performance against New Zealand on the Saturday night but generally good. It is in an impressive sea front location with a grand minimalist white entrance lobby. The bar and restaurant were very pleasant areas as was the spa. We had a room with a great view over the bay. Good sized room and clean - only down side was cushions didn't match curtains (I know very Virgo fussy attention to detail - my partner thought so too!). Bathroom ok but a little dated with shower over bath. Breakfast was fine. According to the fella the Pontypridd bitter in the bar was excellent.
We ate one night in the restaurant and although my meal tasted fine it was luke warm and was sent back when it was returned still luke warm. The hotel management did respond helpfully to our disappointing experience in the restaurant. Service was good apart from restaurant. Despite "restaurant-gate" we still enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up with views over the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review which has been shared with the team. Your comments have been noted and my apologies for the restaurant incident. I am pleased this was sorted out for you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Accra
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Decided to go away for Xmas, booked three Deluxe Room and had a great deal off the Hotel to upgrade to three Suites upon arrival. Excellent rooms, great views over Cardiff Bay, hotel staff were excellent and very attentive to all of our needs and requests.

Xmas Day lunch in Tempus at Tides restaurant was an à la carte delight, the food was wonderful, 5 courses and coffee and mince pies to finish off. Some very nice wines too. Considering it was Xmas Day the Staff were excellent, it can't be easy working on Xmas Day for anyone. Dinner on Boxing Day was also great; breakfasts each morning with plenty of choice available, even had time to use the Spa that was very nice indeed.

Our 4 day 3 nights stay was a very enjoyable experience for all of us and we all had a great time.

Well done to the Management & Staff of St. David’s Hotel for putting on such a great guest experience.

I have absolutely no complaints and will most definitely go there again when visiting Cardiff.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I didn’t see the Deluxe Rooms but if you do book one try and negotiate an upgrade to a Suite, especi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mogs1965
Thanks so much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us over the Christmas period and your kind words have been shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next return to Cardiff.